• Yanks Stuck With A-Rod?

    Posted by on May 7th, 2013 · Comments (17)

    Via Bob Klapisch

    Obviously, Alex Rodriguez hasn’t figured out he is to the Yankees what Freddy Krueger is to REM-stage sleep – a recurring nightmare.

    Team officials have been searching for an exit strategy, hoping the commissioner’s office would’ve taken A-Rod off their hands by now. But no such luck: As of Monday, as he worked out for the first time in Tampa, Fla., Rodriguez was officially back in the Yankees’ faces.

    A-Rod told reporters he has “unfinished business” from 2012, which, to Yankee elders, is the kiss of death. It’s not just that Rodriguez is bringing his declining skills to the Bronx, it’s the drama, the need for attention, and mostly, the stink of the Biogenesis scandal.

    Senior officials long ago stopped trusting Rodriguez; they’re convinced he’s disgraced the franchise with his cheating and has taken their money under false pretenses.

    That’s why the Yankees have been rooting so hard for MLB’s investigators while they’ve zeroed in on Biogenesis’ books. Bud Selig is said to be obsessed with bringing down A-Rod and Ryan Braun together. But according to one industry official, the commissioner would like nothing more than to slap a lifetime ban on Rodriguez in particular.

    Selig’s detectives so far have uncovered nothing actionable that connects A-Rod to performance-enhancing drugs. They’ve been unable to authenticate or verify any of the documents published in the Miami New Times, even though A-Rod’s name was found on company records 16 times from 2009-12. As long as Biogenesis founder Anthony Bosch continues to stonewall and protect Rodriguez – he recently told ESPN he’s nothing more than a “nutritionist” – then the Yankees can forget about MLB doing their dirty work.

    In fact, the Bombers are now resigning themselves to the growing probability that A-Rod will go unpunished, and sooner or later will be back in pinstripes.

    I still think that, eventually, MLB (and the Yankees) will get something on A-Rod that will allow them to run him out. But, maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part?

    Comments on Yanks Stuck With A-Rod?

    1. McMillan
      May 7th, 2013 | 11:18 am

      Raf wrote:

      I still think that, eventually, MLB (and the Yankees) will get something on A-Rod that will allow them to run him out. But, maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part?

      Not wishful thinking that the Yankees might get something on Rodriguez, given the type of person he is and the number of years left on his contract; the Yankees’ “men-children” will be providing news stories for years to come.

    2. MJ Recanati
      May 7th, 2013 | 11:22 am

      We’re still talking about this? There is no way for the Yankees to get out from under their obligation to Rodriguez. There is no way for Major League Baseball to suspend Rodriguez for more than 50 games, and only if they get much better information than what has been reported thus far. Rodriguez will not retire and leave the balance of his contract on the table. The Yankees have no leverage to force Rodriguez to retire without accepting that a buyout would have to be for at least 90% of the remaining value of the contract.

      This is simple, basic stuff. It amazes me that tabloids and fans still feel the need to discuss this as if there were realistic alternatives.

    3. Ricketson
      May 7th, 2013 | 11:52 am

      You get the feeling everything will catch up with Rodriguez someday, the way you got the same feeling with OJ Simpson, and look where the latter is now…

    4. MJ Recanati
      May 7th, 2013 | 12:25 pm

      Ricketson wrote:

      You get the feeling everything will catch up with Rodriguez someday, the way you got the same feeling with OJ Simpson, and look where the latter is now…

      I fail to see how the two are remotely related. That is, unless you’re predicting that Rodriguez is put on trial for a felony and then later tried on civil complaint charges which cause him to squander more money than Simpson ever had access to…

    5. Ricketson
      May 7th, 2013 | 12:43 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      That is, unless you’re predicting that Rodriguez is put on trial for a felony and then later tried on civil complaint charges which cause him to squander more money than Simpson ever had access to…

      Rodriguez is more intelligent than Simpson, maybe.
      Evan3457 wrote:

      And the other half of maybe is…maybe not.

    6. MJ Recanati
      May 7th, 2013 | 12:57 pm

      @ Ricketson:
      As usual, your posts are just an exercise in trolling. I have no idea why you post here.

    7. Ricketson
      May 7th, 2013 | 1:19 pm

      @ MJ Recanati:
      How so?

    8. Raf
      May 7th, 2013 | 1:59 pm

      McMillan wrote:

      Raf wrote:

      I still think that, eventually, MLB (and the Yankees) will get something on A-Rod that will allow them to run him out. But, maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part?

      Not wishful thinking that the Yankees might get something on Rodriguez, given the type of person he is and the number of years left on his contract; the Yankees’ “men-children” will be providing news stories for years to come.

      I didn’t write what was attributed to me, but I agree with the sentiment that “the Yankees’ “men-children” will be providing news stories for years to come.” Same as it ever was, be it brawls at the Copacabana, paying for dirt on employees, or chipping around.

    9. Raf
      May 7th, 2013 | 2:05 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      This is simple, basic stuff. It amazes me that tabloids and fans still feel the need to discuss this as if there were realistic alternatives.

      Wishful thinking, as was mentioned, I suppose.

      Not sure why it amazes you, you know the caliber of person general sports caters to. :P

      Klapisch is a halfway decent writer, but the man’s gotta eat. A Rodriguez story is guaranteed to get page hits; the well will never run dry on that subject. :D

    10. MJ Recanati
      May 7th, 2013 | 2:46 pm

      Raf wrote:

      Not sure why it amazes you, you know the caliber of person general sports caters to.

      Very true.

      Raf wrote:

      Klapisch is a halfway decent writer, but the man’s gotta eat. A Rodriguez story is guaranteed to get page hits; the well will never run dry on that subject.

      Dunno that I agree with the first part but I definitely agree with the second part. ;-)

    11. McMillan
      May 7th, 2013 | 6:19 pm

      Raf wrote:

      I didn’t write what was attributed to me, but I agree with the sentiment that “the Yankees’ “men-children” will be providing news stories for years to come.”

      To clarify, that sentiment was expressed in reference to the 45 year-old G.M., and and the 38 year-old third baseman, specifically.
      Raf wrote:

      Same as it ever was, be it brawls at the Copacabana, paying for dirt on employees, or chipping around.

      In the brawl at the Copacabana, the wives of all players were represented with the exception of Martin – there were no Louise Meanwells present.
      The incident started when a group of intoxicated individuals began directing racial epitaphs at a black performer, incensing the Yankees’ second baseman, whose roommate was Elston Howard at the time.
      Rodriguez in a brawl?

      “Senior officials long ago stopped trusting Rodriguez; they’re convinced he’s disgraced the franchise with his cheating, and has taken their money under false pretenses -” sounds like the name “Rodriguez” could easily be replaced with the name “Cashman” in this sentence; one manchild for another.

    12. Raf
      May 7th, 2013 | 7:09 pm

      McMillan wrote:

      In the brawl at the Copacabana, the wives of all players were represented with the exception of Martin – there were no Louise Meanwells present.

      Yeah, and the deranged psycho role was played by Billy Martin.

      The incident started when a group of intoxicated individuals began directing racial epitaphs at a black performer, incensing the Yankees’ second baseman, whose roommate was Elston Howard at the time.

      And Howard was very much alive at the time. :P

      Rodriguez in a brawl?

      Yes.

      sounds like the name “Rodriguez” could easily be replaced with the name “Cashman” in this sentence; one manchild for another.

      “Brian Cashman has done a great job for us, and we want him to be with the Yankees for a long time.”

    13. McMillan
      May 7th, 2013 | 8:18 pm

      Raf wrote:

      Yeah, and the deranged psycho role was played by Billy Martin.

      That’s because:
      McMillan wrote:

      [T]here were no Louise Meanwells present.

    14. Ricketson
      May 7th, 2013 | 9:16 pm

      McMillan wrote:

      The incident started when a group of intoxicated individuals began directing racial epitaphs at a black performer, incensing the Yankees’ second baseman, whose roommate was Elston Howard at the time.
      Rodriguez in a brawl?

      Elston Howard was black?

    15. Evan3457
      May 7th, 2013 | 9:16 pm

      McMillan wrote:

      Raf wrote:
      I didn’t write what was attributed to me, but I agree with the sentiment that “the Yankees’ “men-children” will be providing news stories for years to come.”
      To clarify, that sentiment was expressed in reference to the 45 year-old G.M., and and the 38 year-old third baseman, specifically.
      Raf wrote:
      Same as it ever was, be it brawls at the Copacabana, paying for dirt on employees, or chipping around.
      In the brawl at the Copacabana, the wives of all players were represented with the exception of Martin – there were no Louise Meanwells present.
      The incident started when a group of intoxicated individuals began directing racial epitaphs at a black performer, incensing the Yankees’ second baseman, whose roommate was Elston Howard at the time.
      Rodriguez in a brawl?
      “Senior officials long ago stopped trusting Rodriguez; they’re convinced he’s disgraced the franchise with his cheating, and has taken their money under false pretenses -” sounds like the name “Rodriguez” could easily be replaced with the name “Cashman” in this sentence; one manchild for another.

      On the other hand, Mickey Mantle, serial cheater, WAS present.

    16. Ricketson
      May 7th, 2013 | 9:21 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      On the other hand, Mickey Mantle, serial cheater, WAS present.

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      I fail to see how the two are remotely related.

    17. Evan3457
      May 8th, 2013 | 11:46 am

      Ricketson wrote:

      Evan3457 wrote:
      On the other hand, Mickey Mantle, serial cheater, WAS present.
      MJ Recanati wrote:
      I fail to see how the two are remotely related.

      No, you wouldn’t, I suppose.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.