• David Eckstein Number Retirement Ceremony

Posted by on May 9th, 2013 · Comments (8)

You know it’s serious when Boomer puts on a tux…

Comments on David Eckstein Number Retirement Ceremony

May 9th, 2013 | 10:39 pm

Pretty neat. I’ve seen several copies of his books around, and now that I know he’s from Sanford, it all makes sense now.

2. May 10th, 2013 | 7:21 am

I wonder, if Jeter has to rehab in Trenton this year, now that #2 is retired for the Thunder, what number will Derek wear? :-)

3. MJ Recanati
      May 10th, 2013 | 11:42 am

Steve L. wrote:

Derek Jeter will wear #2 anyway. David Eckstein is an insignificant little shit — I’ve ALWAYS hated that guy — and he can take a back seat to Jeter for a night or a few games (or whatever the case may be).

4. May 10th, 2013 | 12:02 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I’ve ALWAYS hated that guy

You cannot recognize and salute a player who had almost no physical positives making it to the major leagues and starting on World Championship ballclubs? What’s not to like about that? Dude is an underdog superhero.

5. MJ Recanati
      May 10th, 2013 | 1:25 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Dude is an underdog superhero.

Dude was grossly overrated by morons like Joe Morgan and a segment of fans that blindly insist that stats don’t mean anything.

Good for Eckstein that he made the majors. I wish I could’ve made the majors. Beyond that, meh.

6. May 10th, 2013 | 1:28 pm

Another reason to like the guy: http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=24490

7. MJ Recanati
      May 10th, 2013 | 1:30 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Another reason to like the guy: http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=24490

He was a Gator? I didn’t know that.

Just another reason to hate him. UF sucks.

May 10th, 2013 | 1:38 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Grouch! :P

To me it didn’t seem that stats were the issue, but tools. Also there’s the bonus of a “regular” guy making and staying in MLB, especially in the context of the steroids issue. Also he was a throwback to when shortstops were built like rafael belliard

He had the good fortune to play under guys that appreciated his skillset