• Top 5 Teams In A.L. This Morning

    Posted by on May 10th, 2013 · Comments (22)
    Rk Tm W L W-L% R RA pythWL 1Run last30
    1 TEX 21 13 .618 4.3 3.4 21-13 7-2 18-12
    2 BAL 21 14 .600 4.9 4.1 20-15 6-5 18-12
    3 BOS 21 14 .600 4.9 4.2 20-15 5-3 18-12
    4 NYY 20 13 .606 4.2 3.9 18-15 6-1 19-11
    5 DET 19 13 .594 5.3 3.8 21-11 3-4 18-12
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 5/10/2013.

    .
    Pretty interesting. For the last 30 games, they’ve all been playing about the same. Will these be the top five teams in the league at the end of the season? And, if the Yankees continue their magic in one-run games, will everyone consider them a fluke, like they did with Baltimore when the Orioles won all those one-run games last year?

    Comments on Top 5 Teams In A.L. This Morning

    1. #15
      May 10th, 2013 | 11:57 am

      A half game out of the best record in the AL with the amount of talent we have on the shelf????

      Pop the corks and kill the fatted calf if you are a Yankee fan. Couldn’t have asked for more under the circumstances. The glass is half full, and more water should be pouring in over the next month.

      We are early enough in the season that one bad week of baseball can change the picture, but I’d have gladly grabbed the current standings even if we didn’t have our: SS, back-up SS, CF, 3B, 1B, replacement 3B, 7th inning guy,and C all idling.

    2. May 10th, 2013 | 12:08 pm

      They’ve basically been a three man offense: Wells, Hafner and Cano. That plus Mo and Starting Pitching have been the key. If anyone predicted Wells and Hafner to produce like this, kudos to them. I seem to recall EVERYONE hating the Wells deal and MANY looking at Hafner this spring and saying he was a waste.

    3. #15
      May 10th, 2013 | 12:24 pm

      Include me in the anti Wells crowd. Hated the idea, and the nature of the situation that lead us to have to get him, namely a lack of depth in the minors. I had mixed feeling re: Hafner. Saw him as better than Andrew Jones at the plate, but unproven as a better option than Raul I.

      The results are there… These guys could still play. Someone in scouting seems to have gotten it right, and someone up the chain made the right call. I think Joe has done an admirable job mixing and matching. We currently lack the fire power to club our way to victory on a regular basis. I definitely would like to see more out of Ichi and Gardy. Getting Youk back would help a lot. We need his reliable righty stick in the middle of the order. We are vulnerable to any lefty pitcher with a pulse right now.

    4. May 10th, 2013 | 12:25 pm

      #15 wrote:

      These guys could still play.

      Sample size. It’s barely May.

    5. Corey
      May 10th, 2013 | 12:48 pm

      Of course this team is a fluke. You’d be crazy not to call this team a fluke.

      That said, you take it everytime. Better to be lucky than good.

    6. Raf
      May 10th, 2013 | 12:53 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      And, if the Yankees continue their magic in one-run games, will everyone consider them a fluke, like they did with Baltimore when the Orioles won all those one-run games last year?

      I suppose they will. I would.

      #15 wrote:

      We are early enough in the season that one bad week of baseball can change the picture, but I’d have gladly grabbed the current standings even if we didn’t have our: SS, back-up SS, CF, 3B, 1B, replacement 3B, 7th inning guy,and C all idling.

      Works for me!

    7. MJ Recanati
      May 10th, 2013 | 1:27 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      MANY looking at Hafner this spring and saying he was a waste.

      Not on this site. The only people that killed the Hafner deal on this site were the usual suspects. Everyone else took a wait-and-see approach, acknowledging the injury risk but crediting the fact that the guy has always mashed.

    8. Greg H.
      May 10th, 2013 | 1:54 pm

      Raf wrote:

      Steve L. wrote:
      And, if the Yankees continue their magic in one-run games, will everyone consider them a fluke, like they did with Baltimore when the Orioles won all those one-run games last year?
      I suppose they will. I would.

      I don’t think so. If this continues, the talking heads will regurgitate the ole “The Yankees are still the Yankees, they always find a way,” blah blah, which of course is total BS, but they won’t go with the fluke theory.

    9. Greg H.
      May 10th, 2013 | 1:59 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      I seem to recall EVERYONE hating the Wells deal and MANY looking at Hafner this spring and saying he was a waste.

      Neutral to positive on Hafner (I’ve always liked him, and the nickname, well he’s Pronk – that’s a plus.)
      Hated the Wells deal, but was steadily impressed and changed my mind upon learning 1) Because of the TEx/WBC rule it was pretty much salary neutral – that was pretty savvy; and 2) That he had changed his approach considerably. Even with all that said he’s far exceeded expectations.

    10. Mr. October
      May 10th, 2013 | 2:18 pm

      The Yankees’ offense will hit and score more than enough runs the rest of the way. Suzuki, Jeter/Nix, Cano, Teixeira, Rodriguez/Youkilis, Hafner/Wells, Granderson, Gardner, and a strong bench will get it done. With payroll constraints for 2014 no longer a concern, they can pick up more pieces.
      They’ll go as far as the starting staff takes them – the question is, who and where will those guys be in a few months?

    11. MJ Recanati
      May 10th, 2013 | 3:13 pm

      Mr. October wrote:

      With payroll constraints for 2014 no longer a concern, they can pick up more pieces.

      An unattributed quote satisfies you that this is now a fact?

    12. Evan3457
      May 10th, 2013 | 5:12 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Mr. October wrote:
      With payroll constraints for 2014 no longer a concern, they can pick up more pieces.
      An unattributed quote satisfies you that this is now a fact?

      Him, and others. Not me. But others.

    13. McMillan
      May 10th, 2013 | 6:17 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      An unattributed quote satisfies you that this is now a fact?

      More like numerous quotes from within the organization in the last month, and quotes from M.L.B. executives around baseball that have confirmed the market disqualification rebate will not be what was anticipated. And the rationale behind the reported decision:

      “Even if the Yankees hand Cano a… signing bonus that can be prorated… they need to fill out the rest of their roster [and] the pitching rotation, which, beyond Sabathia and his diminished fastball, is comprised of free agents… and supplemented by question marks.
      Because of their failure to develop a farm system with impact players near the major leagues, the Yankees face difficult choices: re-enter a free-agent market that not only left them with aging and injured players but is expected to grow even [more expensive] based on the wave of local television revenue, or work on the margins…
      Neither choice is particularly good… ‘It was a good idea to try,’ one Yankees official said. ‘But deep down, we all pretty much knew it wasn’t going to happen.’”

    14. #15
      May 10th, 2013 | 10:07 pm

      Anyone know the combined salaries of the Yankees current 25 man roster????

    15. Evan3457
      May 11th, 2013 | 2:37 am

      #15 wrote:

      Anyone know the combined salaries of the Yankees current 25 man roster????

      Doesn’t matter, it’s $230 million, or $250 million, or whatever McMillan/Ricketson says it is.

    16. Evan3457
      May 11th, 2013 | 2:44 am

      The 25 guys currently on the active roster as of Friday are being paid slightly under $121 million total by the New York Yankees for the 2013 (all salaries prorated to the full season, even though many of those 25 will certainly not be up for the full season).

    17. Evan3457
      May 11th, 2013 | 2:47 am

      Just those salaries alone would make the Yanks the 10th highest payroll in MLB, 9th if you take out the full Yanks payroll.

    18. #15
      May 11th, 2013 | 4:27 pm

      10th highest payroll… More that 20% of which is tied up in one pitcher… 3rd best record… It’s early… Still, someone is doing something right with what the Yankees have been rolling out between the chalk YTD. Beating the heck out of the Dodgers cost-benefit performance ratio so far.

    19. Greg H.
      May 12th, 2013 | 9:16 am

      #15 wrote:

      Beating the heck out of the Dodgers cost-benefit performance ratio so far.

      And the Angels, and the Jays, and the Phillies.

      And today (even if only for today) I’d like to say: be it ever so humble, there’s no place like first place.

    20. Evan3457
      May 12th, 2013 | 10:17 am

      Greg H. wrote:

      #15 wrote:
      Beating the heck out of the Dodgers cost-benefit performance ratio so far.
      And the Angels, and the Jays, and the Phillies.
      And today (even if only for today) I’d like to say: be it ever so humble, there’s no place like first place.

      Because, you see, having a top payroll should guarantee title-winning teams. Every year. Or the GM is 37th tier.

    21. Greg H.
      May 12th, 2013 | 10:31 am

      @ Evan3457:
      It’s all about unrealistic expectations. The Yanks’ success since 1995 is extensive, so much so that the expectations are beyond achievable.

      Case in point: last night, the Yankees took sole possession of 1st place in the AL East, with THIS lineup – hell, with Vernon effing Wells playing 3rd base for an inning the other day. Last night, one hour of airtime on Baseball Tonight failed to even MENTION this fact, let alone find it noteworthy.

      The Yanks being in 1st is a non-story. Any flaw (no matter how minor) within the Yanks world is major news, including the GM and every other player or associate. This is because Rome is not the story, the FALL of Rome is the story. Such is the price of success.

      It’s good to be in first again.

    22. 77yankees
      May 12th, 2013 | 12:23 pm

      There was an article I saw about one of the Yankee games a week or two back, where the entire 2013 payroll of the starting ten, including DH, was only $2M more than what the Angels are paying Albert Pujols & Slosh Hamilton this season.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.