• Joba Trying To Punch His Ticket Out Of Yankeeland

Posted by on May 12th, 2013 · Comments (17)

Via the Daily News

Apparently the Joba Rules didn’t include a chapter on class.

Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera exchanged tense words in the dugout before Saturday night’s game, as Chamberlain took exception to Rivera instructing him to quiet down while the closer chatted with reporters about an emotional event he had held earlier in the day with several local families.

“Don’t ever shush me again,” Chamberlain told Rivera in full view of reporters and fans.

Asked after the game about the exchange, Chamberlain said, “I’m not talking about it.” Chamberlain said he hadn’t spoken with Rivera since the spat. Asked whether he felt the two needed to talk, Chamberlain sniped, “That’s between me and Mo.”

Rivera was far less snippy about the situation, although he seemed surprised that Chamberlain had barked at him in such a public setting.

“It’s amazing,” Rivera said before confirming that he and Chamberlain had not spoken since. “We’ll take care of it. We’re grownups and I know better than that. We’ll take care of that.”

Before the game, while Rivera sat in the dugout speaking with reporters, Chamberlain was standing by the railing at the top of the dugout signing autographs for fans, shouting as he interacted with people in the stands.

Rivera paused during one answer and joked to reporters, “Is this guy always loud like this?”

Rivera chuckled before proceeding with his answer, but Chamberlain’s shouting continued — and may have grown even louder. Rivera seemed to lose his train of thought as Chamberlain’s voice rose, prompting the closer to call out to his younger teammate to ask him to be quiet.

“Joba! Yo! Bro!” Rivera shouted. “Shhh. Stop it.”

Chamberlain quickly replied, telling Rivera that he was talking with family.

“You do this every day,” Chamberlain said, referring to Rivera’s meeting with the media. “I don’t get to see my family every day.”

Rivera finished his five-minute session while Chamberlain continued signing autographs, though Chamberlain could be heard telling people in the stands, “I look at it every day. I have to be quiet. . . . They’re doing an interview.”

As Rivera wrapped up his interview, he began to stand up from the dugout when Chamberlain looked into the dugout.

“Don’t ever shush me again,” said Chamberlain, who started his career as a reliever before becoming a starter for the Yankees and is now in the bullpen again. The Yankees employed the so-called Joba Rules earlier in his career when they monitored his inning and pitch counts.

Rivera nodded with a bit of a smile, at which point Chamberlain — looking stone-faced without a trace of a smile — said, “Seriously. Don’t ever shush me again. I don’t get to see my family very often.”

Rivera opted not to get into an argument, telling Chamberlain, “I didn’t say not to talk to your family. That’s all right. You can talk to your family any time you want.”

Before the incident with Chamberlain, Rivera was recounting his experience during Saturday’s stop on his farewell tour. The session was an emotional one for Rivera, who sat down for 30 minutes with several families, each of which had an extraordinary story.

Joba, false sense of entitlement much?

Comments on Joba Trying To Punch His Ticket Out Of Yankeeland

1. Evan3457
      May 12th, 2013 | 10:15 am

It’s going to work like this, because it always works like this:

1. The Yanks will decide to try life without Joba.
      2. Joba will become an effective pitcher somewhere else, either starter or reliever.
      3. The Yanks will get multiple injuries in whichever category Joba finds some success at.
      4. Steve will blame Cashman.
      5. And life will be normal.

:D

Come to think of it, we can pretty much eliminate points 1 through 3, cant’ we? :P

(Man, I shouldn’t be so snide on a Sunday; save that shiite for the working week.)

2. redbug
      May 12th, 2013 | 10:33 am

This is pure Joba. He’s always felt a sense of entitlement. From shaking off Jorge, to being and staying out of shape, to jumping on a trampoline, to now arguing w/ Mo in front of the press and fans.

While the Yankees share some of the blame for Joba’s not reaching his potential, most of the blame is his.

He needs to knock that chip off his shoulder and grow up and do his job.

3. 77yankees
      May 12th, 2013 | 12:20 pm

Well, neither Mo nor Joba will be on the Yankees roster next year.

Mo will be headed to the Hall of Fame, and Joba will be headed to a non-roster invite to Marlins spring training camp……or to challenge Joey Chestnut on the 4th of July @ Nathan’s.

4. G.I. Joey
      May 12th, 2013 | 12:25 pm

Yet another example of why this guy is a punk. You don’t get to see your family often?!? Neither does Mo. It comes along with being a professional ball player and you get compensated well for the opportunity cost of that time. F this guy.

5. Greg H.
      May 12th, 2013 | 12:43 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

F this guy.

No need to – he’s doing a fine job of it all by himself.

6. #15
      May 12th, 2013 | 8:36 pm

Dickhead

7. JeremyM
      May 12th, 2013 | 11:25 pm

I live in Nebraska, and a friend of a friend has offered to introduce me to him. And I’ve actually declined. He just doesn’t seem like the kind of guy I’d really like to know better. I realize most athletes are pigs, but when you hear stories about a guy having a stripper pole in the basement and this and that, well, I’d just rather not. That said, she says he’s a really nice guy, just a bit immature and a bit arrogant. Take it for what it’s worth.

8. KPOcala
      May 13th, 2013 | 1:40 am

OK, kill me. But first hear me out. At this point, with Joba’s upcoming free agency, and a lot of old pitchers on the staff, I push the following idea: Send Joba to AAA, and stretch his arm out to become a starter (maybe riding the bus would help change his ‘tude). If he come back and fails as a starter, well there is the bullpen. If he succeeds, great, if he blows something out, well this is his last year. We’ve seen the Dodgers have a overabundance of pitchers have their arms become taffy, why not plan for the almost inevitable? Have at me, just don’t tell me to shhhhhhhh ;) But I would enjoy the reasons that Joba “can’t”. Plenty of pitchers can and do make the transistion, starting at his age, and go on to have long, sometimes very successful careers……..

9. MJ Recanati
      May 13th, 2013 | 9:49 am

@ KPOcala:
      There’s nothing to hear out at this point. The “Joba as starter” ship sailed a few years ago.

He’s a reliever on this team for the rest of the season. Thereafter, he’s someone else’s fat tub of shit to figure out.

10. May 13th, 2013 | 9:57 am

JeremyM wrote:

she says he’s a really nice guy, just a bit immature and a bit arrogant.

Maybe more than a bit…

11. G.I. Joey
      May 13th, 2013 | 11:44 am

@ KPOcala:

He wouldn’t just have to stretch out his arm in AAA, he’d actually have to develop his slider and curveball to the point where he can throw them for strikes, which isn’t going to happen in my opinion.

12. KPOcala
      May 13th, 2013 | 12:25 pm

@ MJ Recanati:Still doesn’t address the point of “why” the ship has sailed. His slider looks like it has more bite, and in Triple A, maybe he finds his third pitch. Unless you like Adam Warren, amidst the “flotsam and junk” that is floating around the upper levels of the minors. Although this just “could” wind up as one of the weird years for the Yanks……….

13. KPOcala
      May 13th, 2013 | 12:28 pm

@ G.I. Joey: What’s wrong with his slider? And a few starts in the minors may be enough for him to rediscover his curve. On the other hand, maybe it really is gone. The Yankees should have done this as a “project” at the beginning of the year, IMHO….

14. MJ Recanati
      May 13th, 2013 | 12:31 pm

@ KPOcala:
      The ship has sailed because the team decided he was a reliever a few years ago. I don’t understand the point of your argument since the matter was resolved a long time ago.

You’re suggesting that the team reverse course on its decision after all this time. Not happening.

15. MJ Recanati
      May 13th, 2013 | 12:53 pm

KPOcala wrote:

What’s wrong with his slider?

I think what Joey is referring to isn’t that there’s something “wrong” with his slider as much as how Chamberlain uses it. He uses it as his out pitch, rarely (if ever) throwing it in the strikezone. While there’s nothing wrong with having an effective, wipeout slider that can generate lots of swinging strikes, it would behoove Chamberlain if he was able to also locate his slider (or any other secondary pitch, for that matter) in the strikezone for a called strike.

Doing so would break up his absurd predictability and would give hitters something else to think about at the plate when behind in the count. Instead either flailing at a pitch out of the strikezone or simply taking the pitch for a called ball, he could throw something that would catch them off guard. Moreover, he could change his patterns and try to establish the “show-me” breaking ball in the strikezone for strike one and then have the flexibiliy to go fastball/slider therafter, expanding the zone without being as predictable.

16. #15
      May 13th, 2013 | 3:07 pm

@ KPOcala:
      I can’t believe we are back at this…

Joba lacks the stuff, fitness level, commmitment, brains, mechanics and the number of effective pitches needed to be a starter. He chewed up his arm after mostly working from the pen. He’s a pen guy; occasionally good, but often only mediocre. Take 2007′s numbers out of the equation and he’s been just okay.

Now, if he’s going to start barking at teammates, and in particular Mo, he can go enjoy the last year or two of his middling career pitching for Mets or Houston.

Hard throwing, overweight righthanders with an ERA around 4.00 and a WHIP around 1.6 are a couple of bad outings away from parking cars at the stadium.

Shut up and pitch your butt off. You have my permission to make some noise when your ERA drops below 3.00.

17. KPOcala
      May 13th, 2013 | 5:50 pm

@ MJ Recanati:OK, now there’s a valid “reason”. “The ship sailing” part is just repeated hash on what’s never fully been explained, as far as the press that I’ve read on the web, and I read a lot of it. I also know that when you live in a city where there’s a sports controversy stuff gets leaked through different media, that is heavily filtered by the time the rest of the nation hears/sees it. So what you guys are onto, and I’m not ‘privy’ to, is that Joba as the IQ and build of a manatee, and moves around about the same pace. For me, this has been maddening to find out what is really ‘going on’. I can’t remember a team ever just giving up on a guy with a live arm like this. I mean check out Ron Guidry stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/guidrro01.shtml

I remember, clearly, that Billy Martin bluntly, early on, told Guidry to point out a hitter that he could get out, and he would bring him in. And he was roughly the same age as Joba, only Joba got to “The Show” a few years earlier than Gator. So I hope you guys can understand my dismay at the Yanks’ front office. I hope I’m proven wrong, but sure as hell, the Yanks let him go in the off-season, he clicks with the new coaching staff/teammates, and becomes a dominant starter. Well, we all get paid the same even if THAT scenario comes true, so I guess, it’s ‘to hell with it’……….