• Beware Vernon Wells

Posted by on May 15th, 2013 · Comments (12)

In his first 37 games of 2010, Vernon Wells had a BA/OBP/SLG line of .306/.369/.611 (in 160 PA).

And, over his next 120 games in 2010, he had a BA/OBP/SLG line of .262/.319/.484 (in 486 PA).

In his first 37 games of 2013, Wells’ BA/OBP/SLG line is .300/.353/.521 (in 140 PA). That looks just like 2010, no?

If Wells follows his form from 2010, he could be a low on-base hacking guy at the plate…just like he was in 2010.

Comments on Beware Vernon Wells

1. Evan3457
      May 15th, 2013 | 3:48 pm

It’s certainly possible he’ll turn back into a pumpkin, which is why I welcome Granderson back.

2. Corey
      May 15th, 2013 | 5:31 pm

Sign me up for a .484 slugging percentage from Wells every time.

I would have signed up for that the day we traded for him and nothing has changed in my eye

3. tanzo
      May 16th, 2013 | 4:05 pm

That would also mean 31 HR’s and 88 RBI’s, 44 doubles and a OPS of 847 and made the all-star team. I will take that!!

4. Ricketson
      May 16th, 2013 | 4:56 pm

“Folks were shocked the Yankees agreed to pay even close to one-third of Wells’ salary… [T]he key just might have been the WBC insurance money… Teixeira’s salary is being paid for by MLB, which insured players who participated in the WBC, enabling the Yankees to add Wells. ‘Now, we want all our guys to play in the WBC. So, hey, everyone play,’ Cashman joked.” Funny…
      “As great a player as Jason Giambi was, with Tino Martinez and Teixeira we learned how important defense at first base was for us,” Cashman said. “We learned?”

5. Corey
      May 16th, 2013 | 5:37 pm

tanzo wrote:

Thank you. We need more sane people commenting these days.

6. MJ Recanati
      May 16th, 2013 | 5:46 pm

Corey wrote:

We need more sane people commenting these days.

Agreed. The trolling around here is getting out of hand.

7. Corey
      May 16th, 2013 | 5:48 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      It gets so bad that I don’t even feel like commenting half the time…I can’t say the same things over and over and over again.

8. Evan3457
      May 16th, 2013 | 5:54 pm

Corey wrote:

@ MJ Recanati:

I teach high school math, so I’m very, very used to that, especially with the off-track classes.

9. MJ Recanati
      May 16th, 2013 | 5:56 pm

Corey wrote:

Ditto.

Evan3457 wrote:

LOL!

May 16th, 2013 | 8:14 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Agreed. The trolling around here is getting out of hand.

Have to admit with Steve’s excessive use of commas, and McMillan/Ricketson/Mr. October excessive use of quotation marks, they seem to be peas in a pod… They certainly love their punctuation. :P

I wonder if they had the same writing teacher? :D

11. Evan3457
      May 16th, 2013 | 11:40 pm

Raf wrote:

MJ Recanati wrote:
      Agreed. The trolling around here is getting out of hand.
      I wonder if they had the same writing teacher?

I have had the same suspicion, but as I have no real evidence, I make no accusations.

12. McMillan
      May 17th, 2013 | 9:28 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

The trolling around here is getting out of hand.

Agreed.