• Another Possible Great Line For A-Rod’s Resume?

Posted by on May 20th, 2013 · Comments (11)

What do you think would happen if…

The Yankees were in first place on July 26th, fifteen games over five-hundred with a five game lead in the division.  And, on that day, Alex Rodriguez returns to the line-up for New York.  However, from that point until the end of the season, A-Rod has an OPS of .700 and looks lost in the field.  And, while that’s happening, the Yankees fall out of first place and miss the post-season.

Think that would leave another ding on A-Rod’s legacy?

Comments on Another Possible Great Line For A-Rod’s Resume?

1. Garcia
      May 20th, 2013 | 2:43 pm

Absolutely! BTW, what “ARod legacy” are you talking about? I don’t think there are any dings left. ;-)

And the post may may be tongue-in-cheek, but I can certainly see it playing out that way. A part of me is almost afraid to have him comeback. Being ARod these days must not be a great thing, I would be going crazy living inside the ARod fishbowl.

2. MJ Recanati
      May 20th, 2013 | 11:24 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Think that would leave another ding on A-Rod’s legacy?

I think the media and some fans would try to force the idea that it was Rodriguez’s fault and somehow a “ding” on his legacy but, as with everything else, believing something doesn’t make it true.

Rodriguez’s legacy is tarnished by allegations of PED use. Everything else is media/fan narrative and completely meaningless.

3. Greg H.
      May 21st, 2013 | 8:10 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

That’s true, but part of his legacy is that he just can’t help stepping on his own dic- I mean necktie – and almost never helps himself with regards to the media. The media/fan narrative is part media and part Alex. It has nothing to do with him as a ballplayer, but it is part of his “legacy,” because “legacy” is a combination of performance on the ball field and pubic persona.

4. MJ Recanati
      May 21st, 2013 | 8:18 am

Greg H. wrote:

I don’t find that argument to be very convincing when we know that the media has an active double-standard with respect to how they report on one individual versus another. Sunbathing in the park is a common occurrence among all New Yorkers; only one New Yorker had it become a part of his “legacy.”

5. Garcia
      May 21st, 2013 | 9:11 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

And kissing mirrors? Willingly allowing yourself to be photographed that way. Or how about after the 2004 debacle, he does an interview with ESPN and arrogantly states that while other MLB players are busy taking their kids to school he’s putting in the time and dedicating himself to his craft. Saying that being a good father should be second to your baseball career. Yeah, that’s real “smart”. Is that the media, too? Or how about the esquire piece? He’s not the smart when the cameras are rolling, he has even admitted that himself.

I agree with what Greg H. said, the sunbathing may be a media creation but ARod doesn’t help his cause one bit. Many times you come across as an ARod apologist, ARod is hardly some innocent bystander who has been made the villain solely by the press. He has helped fuel that flame, too.

I do think (at times) fans can be somewhat unfair to ARod. One thing that I absolutely love about ARod is that no matter how bad things are, I always see him hustling. He’s always working to get better – he may be a PED user, but the guy understands you have to put in the work too. I can respect that a lot. It is solely because of that why I don’t loathe him as much as other Yankee fans, I absolutely do think he cares about winning and wants to help his team win, but there’s no denying the guy is a traveling circus act too. To state that’s entirely media driven then you are not seeing the forest for the trees.

6. Greg H.
      May 21st, 2013 | 10:18 am

BTW, I should hope that if A-Rod is lost in the field and posting a .700 OPS, the footnote in his legacy is that he finished his career backing up David Adams. I wouldn’t put that past Girardi. Don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m enjoying the hello out of watching him in the lineup. The kid’s worked hard to get here, and he looks mighty determined and confident at the plate.

7. May 21st, 2013 | 10:49 am

Greg H. wrote:

LOL.
      BTW, I am LOVING ME SOME DAVID ADAMS right now. So, so, happy for him to get a shot and get out of the chute doing well.

8. Evan3457
      May 21st, 2013 | 11:45 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Greg H. wrote:

I still go back to the New York Post and others headlining the fact that he was seen with that stripper. There was no other news regarding A-Rod’s personal relationship with his wife; no report of marital troubles, no divorce papers files, no car crash and assault with a golf club, nothing that would’ve made that “news” any more than any other married player having a relationship with a woman who was not his wife. And yet, A-Rod got nailed, not on p. 57, not in a blind gossip item, but right out in big headlines with a cover picture.

That was the first time I can remember that happening where the woman involved didn’t raise a stink over something else.

Just like he was, for the longest time, the only one named from the 2003 list of 103.

9. May 21st, 2013 | 12:21 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Thank the new tech. Everybody has a camera now.

10. Garcia
      May 21st, 2013 | 12:27 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

MJ Recanati wrote:
      Greg H. wrote:

ARod is Hollywood. Ask Kristen Stewart and her director about their secret affair. He was stepping out in public with her, at that point all bets are off.

11. Greg H.
      May 21st, 2013 | 2:43 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I am LOVING ME SOME DAVID ADAMS right now.

He looks like Daniel Craig up there with the stick.

Garcia wrote:

ARod is Hollywood.

This is true, and a personal choice. If you make that choice, then you need to handle it right with the media, or they will have a feast on your ass. Or you can choose to be private, like Paul Newman, Derek Jeter, (in different ways) and a few others. It’s not necessarily fair, but that’s the way it is.