• Mets > Yankees > Blue Jays

Posted by on May 30th, 2013 · Comments (14)

And, now, we get to see where the Boston Red Sox fall into this equation.

Comments on Mets > Yankees > Blue Jays

1. Evan3457
      May 30th, 2013 | 9:58 pm

The only amusing part of this is that for years, the Mets screamed and whined about having to face the Yanks 6 times a year, when their competitors in the NL East only had to face them 3 times, if that many.

So, this year, the MLB schedulmakers finally gave the Mets what they wanted and reduced it to 4.

Think the Mets want those two games back, right about now?

2. LMJ229
      May 30th, 2013 | 10:32 pm

While I can logically detail the reasons, part of me just can’t believe we just got swept by the lowly Mets of all teams. It’s sickening.

3. Evan3457
      May 30th, 2013 | 10:35 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Yeah, it’s tough to take, no doubt about it.

4. LMJ229
      May 30th, 2013 | 11:05 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Yeah, it’s tough to take, no doubt about it.

And we both thought they’d lose 3 of 4. It’s even worse than we predicted. :(

5. Evan3457
      May 30th, 2013 | 11:12 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:
      Yeah, it’s tough to take, no doubt about it.
      And we both thought they’d lose 3 of 4. It’s even worse than we predicted.

Here’s the worst part. Sox may very well sweep them, too. I’d like to think now, but I really don’t know.

Back to back swept by the Mets and Sox. I don’t think that’s ever happened before.

6. May 30th, 2013 | 11:17 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

just can’t believe we just got swept by the lowly Mets of all teams.

Yup. The same Mets who have the Marlins to thank, for keeping them out of last. And, the same Mets who went 4-12 in the 16 games prior to these 4 games.

But, it’s OK. The Yankees will be fine. Teixeira and Yooooouk are coming back. And, of course, Cashman is a genius. So, we’re the greatest team ever!

7. Evan3457
      May 30th, 2013 | 11:20 pm

Steve L. wrote:

LMJ229 wrote:
      just can’t believe we just got swept by the lowly Mets of all teams.

The Yanks will slowly improve as the regulars take away PA from players who are replacement-level or below-replacement level hitters. Replace 4 or so bad hitters with good ones, or even average ones, and the offense improves. Move guys that shouldn’t be playing everyday into the part-time or platoon roles they’re better suited for will improve it some more.

If the pitching stays at or near the top of the league, a league average offense, or slighty better than that, will result in a lot more winning then they’re doing right now.

That’s not genius of any kind, but it is sensible, mature decision-making.

8. May 30th, 2013 | 11:42 pm

Actually this helped clarify the roster moves if I had a say. First Adams has to go, I would like to keep him but how many spare infielders can you carry. The other move is more difficult one but to me you can’t carry both Overbay and Hafner, I would keep Overbay and let Hafner go.

9. Evan3457
      May 31st, 2013 | 2:02 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

I think it’ll be Adams and Nuno. Yanks were carrying 13 pitchers at the moment, anyway. Yanks keep all their relievers at hand. Nuno cannot pitch and would not be used before Petitte gets back on Monday vs. Indians.

So, right now, Youkillis for Adams, and Teixeira for Nuno. When Pettitte is ready, one of the eight relievers will have to be sent down. It will either be Claiborne (an unfair result) or Nova (to get regular work in rotation while he waits for Phelps to regress, or Hughes to get traded.

10. LMJ229
      May 31st, 2013 | 3:01 pm

@ Evan3457:
      I think I’d go with Nova instead of Nuno if he has options. I like Nuno. Also, I wonder if the Yanks would consider keeping Adams and releasing Brignac.

11. LMJ229
      May 31st, 2013 | 3:07 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

I can see that happening too the way we are playing right now. I can also see the Mets going on to sweep the Marlins – no stretch there – but then all the Mets fans will believe that they buried the Yankees while the Yankees series catapulted them into contention. Which may be true of course – for a very short period of time.

12. MJ Recanati
      May 31st, 2013 | 3:28 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Also, I wonder if the Yanks would consider keeping Adams and releasing Brignac.

Adams doesn’t play SS.

13. LMJ229
      May 31st, 2013 | 5:22 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Adams doesn’t play SS.

Yes, I considered that, but I’d rather see us go with Nix at SS and try to convert Adams to a utility infielder. He’s already played 2B and 3B so it shouldn’t be too much of a stretch to play SS. They did it with Nunez and Adams may be better than Nunez.

14. Evan3457
      May 31st, 2013 | 5:43 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

MJ Recanati wrote:
      Adams doesn’t play SS.

Adams is not really a second baseman; he’s already at a far stretch to handle that position. Most scouts I’ve read don’t seem to think he can handle 2nd base regularly in the major leagues. That’s not the kind of player to try at shortstop.