• It’s The Beginning Of The Zoilo Almonte Era

Posted by on June 19th, 2013 · Comments (20)

From RailRider to the Stadium Subway Race…

Via ESPN -

The Yankees called up Zoilo Almonte on Tuesday.

Almonte will make his major league debut by starting in the nightcap of Wednesday’s doubleheader, manager Joe Girardi said.

Almonte, 24, hit .297 with six homers and 36 RBIs in 68 games with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and will provide additional depth in the outfield. The Yankees like what they’ve seen offensively from Almonte.

“We really believe this kid’s going to hit,” Girardi said. “At times we really saw it in spring training. He struggled a little bit in spring training and maybe it was the excitement of making it a team, but he has [swung] the bat well down there, especially left-handed for him.”

The Yankees called up Almonte, as well as reliever/starter Adam Warren, after placing third baseman Kevin Youkilis and first baseman Mark Teixeira on the disabled list. By using the roster spots on an outfielder and pitcher, the Yankees are lacking bodies for the infield.

“With all of the injuries, you kind of have to do it and guys maybe have to step out of their comfort zone,” Girardi said. “They have been very willing.”

Comments on It’s The Beginning Of The Zoilo Almonte Era

June 19th, 2013 | 9:25 pm

“Girardi stressed that the team will have to be creative, mentioning that outfielder Thomas Neal has played first base before, and David Adams could be used again.”

Where was Jack Curry in all of this?

2. LMJ229
      June 19th, 2013 | 10:28 pm

Raf wrote:

Where was Jack Curry in all of this?

Maybe Jack Curry didn’t suggest it because it doesn’t make sense. With Overbay, the Yankees were trying to find a way to keep him on the roster. Its not like he’s a rookie that has options left so they were forced into finding a spot for him. Neal and Adams, on the other hand, are both rookies and are still adjusting to the majors. The team shouldn’t be looking to tax them any more. Lets face it, the more guys we play out of position, the more we risk losing a game on defensive blunders. It happens all the time.

3. LMJ229
      June 19th, 2013 | 11:12 pm

On May 25th the Yankees were 12 games over .500 and were in first place, 2 games ahead of the Red Sox in the loss column. 25 days have passed since then and the Yankees are now 7 games over .500 in third place 2 games behind the Red Sox in the loss column. So they’ve lost essentially 4 games in the standings in 25 days. If this trend continues, the Yankees would be 6 games back 25 days from now at the All Star break.

So I’m wondering …. Does Brian Cashman need to make a move sooner rather than later to get this team some offense? Personally, I would. He should be shopping Hughes RIGHT NOW for a legitimate bat. I’m sure there are teams out there who could use a solid starting pitcher. We should be able to get a decent catcher, outfielder, or third baseman in return. How about Hughes for Yan Gomes or Ryan Raburn of the Indians? Something like that. Lets face it, Hughes is totally expendable. He’s a free agent that will likely walk at the end of the year and we have Nova and Pineda ready to step right in to his spot. Hughes is up and down anyway. There’s very little difference between him and Nova. To me, it’s a no brainer. We can’t keep running line-ups out there like we did tonight with Wells (.225), Adams (.200), Neal (.182) and Romine (.127) YIKES!

4. June 20th, 2013 | 7:17 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Knowing Cashman, he’s probably banking on the return of Granderson, A-Rod and Jeter. And, that’s why he will fail – yet again.

5. #15
      June 20th, 2013 | 7:29 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Which solid starting pitcher are you talking about?

Also… I think I could hit .127. Time to bring I someone else as the back-up catcher.

6. June 20th, 2013 | 8:04 am

#15 wrote:

I think I could hit .127.

I was explaining this to my son the other day…
      they had a graphic up on YES that showed most of the Yankees line-up was hitting in the low .100′s since a certain date…
      And, I said to my son: That’s terrible. A “pitcher” could probably hit 70 points higher than that and pitchers are terrible hitters.

Kevin Long could not be reached for comment. He was too busy pushing his books, DVDs, and online business opportunities…

7. Scout
      June 20th, 2013 | 8:48 am

LMJ229 wrote:

I’m sure there are teams out there who could use a solid starting pitcher.

I’m sure there are, too. But Phil Hughes doesn’t qualify. It would be charitable to call him “ordinary” right now. Remember, too, that under the new rules a team that acquires a player in mid-season no longer earns a draft choice if he signs elsewhere. Hughes, like Joba Chamberlain, has very little market value left.

8. Scout
      June 20th, 2013 | 8:50 am

Zoilo Almonte is a 4th-outfielder type. He can be useful in a limited role. Although he’s a nominal switch-hitter, he has a pronounced split that limits his value against lefties.

When Vernon Wells is your clean-up hitter, well….

9. June 20th, 2013 | 10:22 am

Scout wrote:

Hughes, like Joba Chamberlain, has very little market value left.

Yup. We’re stuck with them for this year.

10. Ricketson
      June 20th, 2013 | 12:13 pm

Raf wrote:

Where was Jack Curry in all of this?

Perhaps “no one [even] thought” of asking Curry…
      LMJ229 wrote:

[Cashman] should be shopping Hughes RIGHT NOW… [W]e have… Pineda ready to step right in to [Hughes'] spot.

You might want to re-consider Hughes… He has a better B.A.C.

11. Mr. October
      June 20th, 2013 | 1:25 pm

Raf wrote:

Where was Jack Curry in all of this?

LOL!

12. #15
      June 20th, 2013 | 4:01 pm

Steve L. wrote:

#15 wrote:

Pinch hit CC for Romine against a righty if it’s close and late.

Johnny Bench couldn’t have keep his job hitting .127. Johnny Bench was a friend of mine. Austin Romine… You are no Johnny Bench.

On K-Long…. With so little depth in the line up, no one is seeing good pitches. It’s a bad spiral. I agree he isn’t getting it done. Not sure anyone could get the current line-up to be much more productive. I like Nix, but if he’s your two hole hitter, you have a weak line-up.

13. LMJ229
      June 20th, 2013 | 10:21 pm

#15 wrote:

Which solid starting pitcher are you talking about?

Scout wrote:

Hughes’ splits are significantly better away than at home. That should be Cashman’s selling point. A lot of people believe Hughes will be an effective pitcher once he gets out of the Bronx.
      But I wasn’t aware of the draft pick issue. That may be a deal breaker. We know how Cashman hates to lose draft picks.

14. June 22nd, 2013 | 8:42 am

It’s The Beginning Of The Zoilo Almonte Era

I was at the game last night. After the homer, I was tempted to start a “Zo-le-oh!” chant. But, my daughter would have killed me.

It’s amazing how easy a team can win when they have a left-fielder who hits.

15. Evan3457
      June 22nd, 2013 | 8:58 am

Steve L. wrote:

It’s The Beginning Of The Zoilo Almonte Era
      It’s amazing how easy a team can win when they have a left-fielder who hits.

It’s not quite that easy. Rays gift-wrapped two runs for them in the 4th. And Zoilo can’t really hit right-handed.

16. June 22nd, 2013 | 10:08 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Yup. I saw him batting righty in that last AB. Not pretty. Maybe he should just bat lefty all the time?

Funny thing with that inning. Yanks had the bases loaded with no outs and Nix up. When that happened, I turned to my daughter and said “Well, in this situation, you have to score at least two runs. Anything less than that is not acceptable.”

And, then, Nix hit into the DP and Adams plated a run when he reached on the error.

The guy sitting next to me, after the inning, said “Well, you got your two runs.” To that, I laughed, and, said “Yeah, the hard way.”

17. Corey
      June 22nd, 2013 | 12:13 pm

Where’s that David Adams post where I commented on how he’d go into a really bad slump soon and everyone wouldn’t be so in love with him anymore?

Well ditto for this.

18. June 22nd, 2013 | 2:50 pm

@ Corey:
      Hey, I still love him…when the other option is A-Rod.

19. Corey
      June 22nd, 2013 | 8:07 pm

@ Steve L.:
      As much as you hate A-Rod, I still think you’d take the numbers he put up last year over a full year of David Adams’ current numbers. Although, for the record, I do want to point out that I don’t think he’ll end up being this bad, but a lot closer to this than what we saw earlier this year.

20. Evan3457
      June 22nd, 2013 | 9:16 pm

Corey wrote:

Well ditto for this.

Almonte has a little better chance than Adams. He’s 2 years younger, and made significant progress with command of the strike zone this year at AAA before the Yanks called him up.