• Yanks Looking To Dump Hughes & Joba – And Soon!

Posted by on July 10th, 2013 · Comments (9)

It’s not 2007 anymore…

Comments on Yanks Looking To Dump Hughes & Joba – And Soon!

1. Evan3457
      July 10th, 2013 | 2:34 pm

As I posted on another Yankee website:

You can aggressively shop nuclear waste, but you won’t get a very high bid price.

Well, that’s an exaggeration.

But not by much.

Hughes probably has some value left to a team that might’ve pursued him as a free agent anyway. The Angels come to mind as a slight possibility.

2. July 10th, 2013 | 3:39 pm

I don’t know why anyone would take Joba now. I am not even sure why he’s still in the majors.

3. MJ Recanati
      July 10th, 2013 | 3:48 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I am not even sure why he’s still in the majors.

He doesn’t have any minor league options left. Otherwise, I agree; he’s not rosterable at the moment.

Steve L. wrote:

I don’t know why anyone would take Joba now.

In the much-rumored Joba-to-Philly trade, the Phillies would take him because they’d get salary relief by trading Carlos Ruiz (or Michael Young) for Chamberlain.

4. MJ Recanati
      July 10th, 2013 | 4:30 pm

Ken Rosenthal tweeted:

AL exec: “Yanks aggressively pushing Joba, Hughes.

I buy that they’re dangling them and I wouldn’t be surprised if they traded Joba because even a few slices of pizza is a fair return on that guy.

I don’t think the Yankees will actually pull the trigger on trading Hughes unless the return is substantial.

5. 77yankees
      July 10th, 2013 | 9:02 pm

I had MJ’s post in this “Joba possibly departs” thread at under 1.5. You’re slipping, man. :-)

July 10th, 2013 | 10:53 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I am not even sure why he’s still in the majors.

Velocity.

Personally, I think he should’ve been sent down in 2010 (or even 09 to work on a couple of things), but I think he had accrued too much service time by then.

Last I heard (or read @ mlbtraderumors), the Braves, Giants and Phillies were interested.

7. MJ Recanati
      July 11th, 2013 | 11:39 am

Raf wrote:

I agree completely and was saying so back then. The Red Sox sent Buchholz back to the minors for 2/3rds of a season even after he had pitched well enough to start a season with them and it did him a world of good. The Yankees should’ve done the same with Chamberlain since it was obvious that he was a predictable two-pitch pitcher by the end of 2009.

That’s the extent to which I blame the Yankees here: they weren’t more persuasive with Chamberlain about what would be best for his long term development. Thereafter, his failures are one part injury and one part Chamberlain being an immature idiot.

8. LMJ229
      July 11th, 2013 | 9:29 pm

If we can get Michael Young or Carlos Ruiz for Joba, Cashman should be named Executive of the Year.

9. LMJ229
      July 11th, 2013 | 9:37 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I totally agree. And I’m afraid that Cashman’s concept of substantial will be very, uh, substantial. I hope he doesn’t pass on a decent trade that can help us because he over-values Hughes and/or feels he has to get a clear “win” on the trade.