• Selig: A-Rod’s Fate Already Decided

Posted by on July 16th, 2013 · Comments (14)

Via the Daily News

The rest of the world might be in the dark about when, where and why Alex Rodriguez might be suspended for allegedly using baseball drugs, but the man in charge of the game knows the answer.

Bud Selig was on David Letterman’s show last night, where the baseball commissioner said he already knows of Alex Rodriguez’s fate in the current steroid imbroglio.

“Is he one that might be suspended?” the Late Show host asked Selig.

“I’d rather not say,” Selig answered

Letterman: “Because you know, don’t you?”

“I do, I do. The answer is I do.”

The audience cheered.

For months now, Selig and his lieutenants at MLB have overseen an investigation into Biogenesis, a now-defunct Miami area clinic that is allegedly a source of banned performance-enhancing drugs. As many as 20 players are implicated, including A-Rod, who is rehabbing his hip from surgery for Double-A Trenton.

“Alex Rodriguez, is he ever going to play for the Yankees again?” asked Letterman.

“Only time will tell,” answered Selig. “We’re in the midst of a very thorough and tough investigation on all of this, because I really believe that it’s not only the right thing to do, but we’re going to do it. That’s all I can tell you.”

Sounds like A-Rod’s getting suspended, Yankees fans.

Comments on Selig: A-Rod’s Fate Already Decided

1. July 16th, 2013 | 10:01 am

More on this:

Letterman: “Alex Rodriguez, is he ever going to play for the Yankees again?”

Selig: “Only time will tell. We’re in the midst of a very thorough and tough investigation on all of this, because I really believe that it’s not only the right thing to do, but we’re going to do it. That’s all I can tell you.”

Letterman: “Let me ask you this. On his side of things, isn’t there a sum of money that’s at stake here if he doesn’t play again this season?”

Selig: “That’s going to be between him and the New York Yankees. Yes, there is.”

Letterman: “And that sum of money is incalculable?”

Selig: “No, it’s not incalculable.”

Letterman: “It’s over $100 million?”

Selig: “It’s over $100 million. It’s been calculated by everybody, yes.”

Letterman: “I don’t know how this works. The Yankees will figure out something? Is he one that might be suspended?”

Selig: “I’d rather not say.”

Letterman: “Because you know, don’t you?”

Selig: “I do, I do. The answer is I do.”

Letterman: “How many players will be affected by the suspensions? We believe after the All-Star Game there will be a reckoning. Am I right about that?”

Selig: “At some point in the future.”

Letterman: “And how many are we talking about?”

Selig: “We don’t know yet. We don’t know yet. We don’t know.”

2. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2013 | 10:41 am

Selig knows the punishment he’d like to mete out to Rodriguez but that doesn’t mean that it’s the punishment Rodriguez will necessarily end up with. Between the appeals process and any litigation that may arise, what Selig wants and what Selig will get may be two very different things.

3. July 16th, 2013 | 12:14 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

But, if it’s true that A-Rod has agreed to a plea bargain, doesn’t that take appeals and suits out of the equation? This may be why Bud says he knows what is going to happen…perhaps he already knows that A-Rod has agreed to a suspension, rather than risk the lifetime ban, or something else really bad, and they’re just waiting until after the ASG to announce it…because they don’t want to take away from the media on the ASG…

It would seem to make sense, and tie into why A-Rod blew off his rehab game after the meeting with Bud.

4. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2013 | 12:22 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Is it true that A-Rod has agreed to the plea bargain? That’s not verifiable at this point. Further, I honestly don’t believe it would be in any player’s interest — Rodriguez’s or otherwise — to agree to a settled suspension. Why throw in the towel when there’s a better chance of winning an appeal? After all, a settlement would at least partially suggest that baseball isn’t as confident of its evidence or its position either (or they just want the matter to go away because other evidence will be introduced which will be damaging or embarrassing to baseball).

Since we know that Rodriguez has spared no expense on his legal representation, I imagine there isn’t a plea bargain because I don’t think his lawyers believe a lifetime suspension would stick.

5. July 16th, 2013 | 12:25 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Is it true that A-Rod has agreed to the plea bargain?

Seems strange that the media would suggest it, if there was zero evidence of it, no?

6. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2013 | 12:38 pm

Steve L. wrote:

The Daily News reported it (I believe) but haven’t seen any other stories about it. There’s a CBS story online that references the Daily News report but, even in the DN report, it’s all from “sources” which coul easily mean that MLB is leaking false information in order to ratchet up pressure.

7. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2013 | 12:38 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Separately, no, it’s not strange for the media to suggest something that isn’t true. Happens all the time.

8. Garcia
      July 16th, 2013 | 1:18 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Are you serious? All I see is stories about ARod, NY Post, ESPN, Bleacher Report, USA Today, Huffington Post, Fox Sports.

9. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2013 | 1:26 pm

Garcia wrote:

I should’ve clarified; no other news source has gone out and reported the same thing for themselves. They’re all relying on NYDN’s initial story that Rodriguez would seek a plea deal which, to date, seems both unlikely and is unverifiable.

10. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2013 | 1:28 pm

Garcia wrote:

In any case, I’m surprised that this isn’t headline stuff on ESPN’s website. It doesn’t appear on their main page or on their ESPN New York site.

Seems odd to me that ESPN wouldn’t be all over this if it was anything more than a rumor NYDN floated.

11. Garcia
      July 16th, 2013 | 4:16 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Maybe ARod is no longer getting top billing from the national media.

12. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2013 | 4:56 pm

Garcia wrote:

Maybe ARod is no longer getting top billing from the national media.

You really believe that?

13. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2013 | 5:00 pm

Another reason why I don’t believe that Rodriguez has agreed to any settlement:

The MLBPA is already laying out the timeline for the appeals process.

14. Garcia
      July 16th, 2013 | 9:02 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

You really believe that?

I don’t, but it seems you and I get different feeds from the different national media outlets. I feel like wherever I go out on the interwebs, there’s always something about ARod. Not just when I read the NYDN.

MJ Recanati wrote:

nother reason why I don’t believe that Rodriguez has agreed to any settlement:

Agreed.