• Citi Field

Posted by on July 20th, 2013 · Comments (20)

Rob Neyer doesn’t like Citi Field.

O.K., I’m a Yankees fan – so, you have to consider what I say here from where it’s coming.

I went to the original Yankee Stadium back in 1973 before it was knocked down for renovation. That was my only time in that park. And, I was pretty young at the time. Therefore, I only have flashes of memories from that park.

The last Yankee Stadium, however, I went to…more times than I can remember. And, I have been to the new/current Yankee Stadium 23 times (to date) since it opened in 2009.

And, I actually went to Shea Stadium a few times.

When the Yankees played there in 1974 and 1975, I went to a handful of games at Shea. And, because of work functions, I actually saw a couple of Mets games there around 1999-2000. And, at least twice, I went with a friend – who is a Mets fan…as payback for him going to a Yankees game with me.

Citi Field? I went there once last year and once this year – that’s it (so far in my life). Both times I went because my son participated in an on-the-field clinic before the game.

That all said, from my perspective, Citi Field is a MILLION TIMES better than Shea Stadium. It’s not even that close.

Further, Citi Field has its advantages over the new Yankee Stadium too. To me, it feels more like a ballpark and is just easier on the eye, than Yankee Stadium (which is too big and has too much concrete showing). Citi Field is sort of like Camden Yards, in a way. Also, I believe that Citi Field has more character than the new Yankee Stadium. I like the way that the field and stands are shaped there. Also, I like how you can sit in the picnic areas behind the bullpens at Citi – and totally see into the pens. And, even things like having the Shea Bridge visible…compared to how the Yankees have hidden “Monument Cave” (where you cannot see it on TV during the game or from the stands when in the park).

I’m not saying that I would want to trade Citi Field for Yankee Stadium. After all, I am a Yankees fan.

But, if I have to be honest, I would say that Citi Field doesn’t stink. And, actually, it’s pretty cool.

Now, I get the Mets fan’s lament about it having too much Dodgers stuff and not enough Mets history featured. And, if I were a Mets fan, I would be really pissed about it.

How about you? If you’ve been to both the new Yankee Stadium and Citi Field, what are your thoughts on each one? And, which do you think is the best of the two new ballparks in New York?

Comments on Citi Field

July 20th, 2013 | 11:13 pm

I like Citi Field better than Shea, but I like Yankee Stadium better than Citi.

I understand that Mets fans may be upset about too much Dodger stuff, but it’s not surprising, considering Fred Wilpon’s interests. It doesn’t help that they don’t have much of a legacy to draw from.

One thing that has always amused me about the Mets is that even though they were born from the departure of the Dodgers and Giants and they took elements from either club, they seem to have aligned more with the former than the latter.

2. Evan3457
      July 21st, 2013 | 1:56 am

Citifield is a vast upgrade over Shea Stadium.

It might even be a “better ballpark” than the New Yankee Stadium.

The old (2nd) Stadium had all the atmosphere, but this Stadium is much better on the logistics and much easier to move around in, and do things other than watch the game. And at those prices, it oughta be.

3. July 21st, 2013 | 9:03 am

FWIW, the prices in both parks are out of control, it terms of food and drink.

I don’t know about ticket prices. I’ve never paid for a ticket to a game at Citi Field and have never looked at buying one.

Both times I was there we had comp tickets.

4. Garcia
      July 21st, 2013 | 9:11 am

I agree with you 100% Steve. I’ve been to the new Yankee stadium at least 10+ times since it opened, I’ve been to citi field 3 times. I have thoroughly enjoyed the ballpark experience more at Citi than the new Yankee stadium. Plus, the food options are so much betters at Citi field.

And yes, both parks charge a lot of money, but I find stuff at Yankee stadium to be at least 25% more expensive.

5. Corey
      July 21st, 2013 | 10:21 am

@ Steve L.:
      Tix are pretty cheap now and will be getting cheaper as the year goes on..

Personally, I’ve been to both and I have to be honest here and say I think I like Citi Field better. It has more of a classic ballpark feel, whereas the new Yankee stadium feels like a corporate version of Yankee Stadium 2.

I like them both, but I have to say I enjoy Citi Field. I liked it better with the black outfield walls than the blue (as the blue reminds me that I’m watching the Mets) but I guess it makes sense that they did it.

6. July 21st, 2013 | 10:56 am

What’s the world coming to when Yankees fans say that the Mets have a better ballpark than Yankee Stadium? :-)

7. Garcia
      July 21st, 2013 | 12:09 pm

Corey wrote:

I know! When I went this year I was like, eff…they changed the wall. When the walls were black, I could kid myself into thinking I was watching the local minor league team but now with the blue walls, well, I am reminded again that I am watching the Mets.

For some reason, every time I think of the Mets, I always end up thinking of Greg Jeffries too.

8. Scout
      July 21st, 2013 | 12:11 pm

Corey wrote:

the new Yankee stadium feels like a corporate version of Yankee Stadium 2

Exactly. The new stadium has no soul.

9. July 21st, 2013 | 5:35 pm

Two things that really amaze me about the new Yankee Stadium:

1. How could they have possibly screwed up Monument Park/Cave as much as they did…

and,

2. It’s like they got annoyed that they had to include a flag pole, and just stuck it in the corner out in left field. It may just be the worst placed American flag pole of any major league park.

Two simple things. And, yet, they butchered it.

I also wish they had built/planned it as a baseball stadium where they could occasionally do other things as opposed to what it is…an attempted 365-day a year money machine where they also play baseball 81 times a year. The soccer games, football games, concerts, hockey games, and other events there are just too much. This is not football where there are only 8 home games a year and you need to do all that other stuff to offset the cost of the place.

Granted, yes, when the Yankees are playing, those other things don’t matter and the games are no impacted. But, just having them all the time is a constant reminder that it’s all about using the place to make money as opposed to having a place to win baseball games, IMHO.

It’s the difference between having your wedding reception at a quaint and unique location as opposed to having it at a cookie cutter reception hall where they do weddings, school funding bingo nights, and monster consignment sales all at the same facility.

Then again, the Yankees aren’t just about being a baseball team alone any more either…

It’s all about the money.

July 21st, 2013 | 7:11 pm

@ Steve L.:
      To be fair, Citi Field has hosted events other than baseball. Same with Shea, previous versions of Yankees Stadium, and the Polo Grounds.

Why wouldn’t owners want to maximize revenues utilizing a structure when it wasn’t in use? Makes sense to me that they would.

11. MJ Recanati
      July 22nd, 2013 | 8:55 am

Steve L. wrote:

And neither is anybody else. Wrigley Field was built 99 years ago and now the Cubs and that ballpark are in the year-round events business.

It’s not a big deal and I really don’t see why it upsets people to think that — WHOA, SHOCKER! — baseball owners want to maximize their revenue-generating opportunties more than 162 times a year.

12. #15
      July 22nd, 2013 | 9:58 am

In large measure… over time, winning makes the “place”. I know about Wrigley and a few other “great places to watch a game”, but think how Wrigley would be viewed if there were a 1/2 dozen trophies/banners scattered around the past, say 50 years. Citi will be just another venue until they can hang some hardware in the lobby. Fortunately we got that out of the way early. After watching the punchless effort last night against Boston (where a sweep or at least 2 of 3 could have happened if we had gotten just a little offense out of Overbay), it will be a while before the Yankees need to think about where to hang the next banner. We won’t win squat with this line-up.

13. July 22nd, 2013 | 10:02 am

@ #15:
      FWIW, the Yankees have had one banner in the last 13 years and that was PED assisted.

Think about that: Any kid born after 1995 only knows what we see now in Yankeeland. So, someone who is 18 today only knows the A-Rod crapped up version of the Yankees. How sad is that?

July 22nd, 2013 | 10:44 am

#15 wrote:

Regardless, Yankees Stadium was viewed in that light, and they still had other events held at that location. The powers that be also renovated the park. And Steinbrenner had been agitating for a new facility for years before this one was built.

Winning may make a place, but at the end of the day, it’s all about the money a place can generate.

It’s a shame they didn’t keep Gate 2 standing. Buffalo did something similar with War Memorial Stadium, but NYC didn’t feel that they could or should preserve it? That ranks up there with the complete demolition of Tiger Stadium, though to be fair, Detroit has its own host of problems.

15. July 22nd, 2013 | 10:59 am

Raf wrote:

And, it’s always been that way…that’s why these guys own teams. But, it was less transparent in the past. Shame it’s not today.

16. MJ Recanati
      July 22nd, 2013 | 11:05 am

Steve L. wrote:

As was everyone else’s banner since at least 1989 with Canseco and McGwire. Who cares…?

17. MJ Recanati
      July 22nd, 2013 | 11:06 am

Raf wrote:

Yep. I remember Steinbrenner threatening to move the Yankees to New Jersey while I was still in middle school.

18. MJ Recanati
      July 22nd, 2013 | 11:08 am

Steve L. wrote:

But, it was less transparent in the past. Shame it’s not today.

So your only lament is that you’re more aware of something you’ve always known to be true? But aren’t you the one that always bitches about the rest of us with our blinders? I guess you’ve been wearing blinders too, then?

19. July 22nd, 2013 | 12:18 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I wouldn’t say that I was always aware of it. That probably came in my late 20′s. That would be around 1990. Before then, I actually believed that owners only care about winning and losing.

But, since the Yankees were winning in the 1990′s, for the most part, it also SEEMED like it was more about putting a winning baseball team on the field rather than about making money with your facility.

20. #15
      July 22nd, 2013 | 4:29 pm

@ MJ Recanati:

Yep. The steroid era is not over. Until baseball and the players accept that and get serious about flushing it out, all championships (not just the Yankees, aka Manny, for example) since the late 80′s will be considered “tainted” and we’ll be talking as much about steriods as we are about the game between the chalk lines… And that is the real problem for baseball. They can’t get the conversation back on the game when steroid stories keep bumping the game off the headlines.

Still, take the rings whenever you can get them. They are a rare and wonderful thing. They still matter and time will blur the steriod issue because the assumption is that steroids were broadly used. One trophy in 13 years isn’t horrible by anyone’s standards except the Yankees. Other than the Giants, Cards and the Red Sox, which teams have more than one trophy in the past 13 years? How many have 3? There are a lot of teams that would gladly take 1, let alone 5 in the last 18 years.

Steve L. wrote:

@

I was born in 1959… In Queens…. Close enough to see the glow from the lights at Shea Stadium when the Mutts were at home for a night game. The Yankees were doormats during my entire recallable childhood, yet, I became a Yankee fan and I’m still one today. The legacy of winning and winners is an enduring one. I never met or saw Lou, but he’s a personal hero. Big Stein saw that and knew he could sell that legacy to the next generation. Jeter and Mo and Bernie and Paulie and Jorge and Andy will keep a lot of guys and gals hooked on the pinstripes for a long time. Looks like it will be a while before the next ring. We should never take for granted that we, as fans, have had a great ~18 year run. It has come to an end… for a while.

For me, the more interesting conversation is how do we turn the ship, rather than how did the ship sail into these waters. For example, who are the impact free agents we can pursue after 2014? Now, it’s too early to have that conversation because guys could re-sign, get hurt, etc…

MJ and I have disagreed on how we might get to this point, but I still say the begining of the next run starts with A-Rod saying three little words… “I am retiring”. Could be this year, could be next year, could be 2017 (shudder). The A-Rod contract is a turd sandwich and everyone, fans, teammates, organization guys, owners, etc… are all going to have to take a bite. The good news is the Yankees can add from free agents because of their TV and other money sources. That is, we don’t have to cook from scratch out of what we have in our own pantry. Maybe we can be back to fighting for a ring in 2-4 years.