• Ralph Kiner

Posted by on July 25th, 2013 · Comments (13)

So, I have the Mets-Braves game on now (on SNY) – just killing time waiting for the YES coverage of the Yankees-Rangers game to start. (YES has the Bernie Williams Yankeeography on now.)

And, SNY has Ralph Kiner in the booth.

I’m sorry, and I know this is probably not PC, but, is this really necessary?

Kiner is 90-years old and sounds like he’s 120-years old. You can barely understand what he is saying.

Do Mets fans actually like this, when SNY has him in the booth?

Comments on Ralph Kiner

1. Garcia
      July 25th, 2013 | 1:27 pm

You’re absolutely right! Why is it not PC to say someone is too old to do their job effectively? It will one day happen to all of us, but people get offended by all sorts of bs so I understand the disclaimer.

I loved Kiner’s corner as a kid. I watched a lot of Mets games, Yankee games, and even Braves games when I was a kid, and it is sad that SNY still runs Kiner out there. I don’t know why I had a weird fascination with Dale Murphy’s swing.

Back to Kiner, I no longer think of him as the guy with McCarver in the booth and Kiner’s corner coming on afterward. So SNY is assisting in sullying the good memories people have of Ralph Kiner.

2. LMJ229
      July 25th, 2013 | 5:55 pm

Garcia wrote:

SNY is assisting in sullying the good memories people have of Ralph Kiner.

Well said.

3. Corey
      July 25th, 2013 | 6:37 pm

Maybe cause he wants to keep coming on? Frankly, if it were me and he wanted to come on, you have to let him. He’s been a voice for the Mets since the beginning of their franchise.

4. Kamieniecki
      July 25th, 2013 | 6:45 pm

Garcia wrote:

So SNY is assisting in sullying the good memories people have of Ralph Kiner.

SNY is assisting in sullying the good memories of Ralph Kiner by giving Ralph Kiner a job? I don’t think they look at it that way, and his quality of life/sense of purpose at this stage of his life is more important than any fan’s memories of him.

He was never a great announcer to begin with, at least not when I watched him in his 50-60s. As long as people in the audience/Mets fans like having him around, good for SNY. When SNY no longer wants him, I wouldn’t mind having him as GM of the Yankees.

5. July 25th, 2013 | 7:32 pm

Steve it needed to be said. Having Ralph on is nothing short of an absurdity at this point. He can’t communicate clearly enough on mic to be understood. The last time I heard him he was going on about Hank Greenberg, most of what he was saying was unintelligible. Imagine this, he’s talking about a player 75% of the audience never saw play, you can’t understand half of what he is saying and there is a ball game going on that needs to covered. It makes no sense. Can you imagine being a young Met fan trying to listen to this.

To me the best play by play team I have heard in my lifetime is the team of Nelson, Kiner and Murphy. It gives me no pleasure advocate for an end to Ralph’s mic time, but it is over.

6. Kamieniecki
      July 25th, 2013 | 8:45 pm

@ Joseph Maloney:
      I haven’t heard him, but if most of what he’s saying is unintelligible, he shouldn’t be on. If he could speak more clearly and as long as his mind’s still there, I wouldn’t have a problem with him talking about the Greenbergs of the past or the coverage suffering a bit for the sake of keeping him going.

July 25th, 2013 | 9:01 pm

9. Kamieniecki
      July 26th, 2013 | 2:01 pm

@ Raf:
      Good point.

July 27th, 2013 | 11:11 am

Kamieniecki wrote:

Agreed. There aren’t going to be many more opportunities to do this, given Kiner’s advanced age. For all that Kiner has done, it’s the least the Mets organization could do, bringing him on as a guest analyst every so often.

11. Mr. October
      August 15th, 2013 | 5:54 pm

What Hall of Famer said, “The Mets just had their first .500-or-better April since July of 1992″?

12. Mr. October
      August 15th, 2013 | 6:04 pm

“All of the Met road wins this year against the Dodgers are at Dodgers Stadium.”

13. Mr. October
      August 15th, 2013 | 6:26 pm

“Darryl Strawberry has been voted to the Hall of Fame five years in a row.”

“[Bruce Sutter] is going to be out of action the rest of his career.”

“[Don Sutton] lost thirteen games in a row without winning a ballgame.”

“[Tony Gwynn] was named player of the year for April.”

“[Darryl Boston has] really solidified the Mets’ center field problems.”

“[Rick Aguilera's saves have all] come in relief appearances.”