• The Last Days Of A-Rod

Posted by on July 30th, 2013 · Comments (17)

Must read material.

SI Arod

Comments on The Last Days Of A-Rod

1. Garcia
      July 30th, 2013 | 1:55 pm

“like he was the 25th guy trying to make the ball club.”

ARod is complex, I don’t know of anyone who will disagree with that statement.

Therefore my feelings about ARod are also complex. I really don’t want him on the Yankees any longer, I wish he was never resigned back in 2007, but one thing about ARod between the lines…the f’ing guy busts his hump.

For a guy that is making so much money, I never once saw him not hustle or not try. He has failed many times in key spots, but not for lack of trying — he’s not purposely trying to strikeout, think Manny leaving the bat on his shoulders as Mo threw 3 strikes to him. And that to me is where it gets so complex with ARod. Him and Jeter are EXACTLY alike in this one aspect of the game.

I remember watching a spring training game against the Pirates, the Yanks were losing 10 – 1, it was an early spring training game and ARod hits a routine ball to the shortstop and he almost beats it out. He was running hard as hell out of the box. I remember that day and I was seriously impressed by that part most of all in ARod’s game.

2. July 30th, 2013 | 2:40 pm

Between the lines, from the first pitch to the last pitch, A-Rod played like he was trying to be the next Cal Ripken Jr.

Off the field, in the clubhouse, A-Rod carried himself like he was pretending to be Barry Bonds.

Outside of the ballpark, A-Rod was like Pete Rose, in terms of the gambling and bad choices on running mates, like Jose Canseco in terms of his PED use, and like Mario Lopez in terms of his skirt chasing.

That’s A-Rod: Wannabe Cal Ripken, part Barry Bonds, part Jose Canseco, part Pete Rose and part Mario Lopez. Some things that you want in a ball player, some things that you don’t…heck, some things that you don’t even want as a person.

3. JeremyM
      July 30th, 2013 | 2:58 pm

Honestly, I’ve always felt bad for A-Rod despite everything. But he’s lost me with this latest scandal. Dumb just doesn’t even begin to describe it.

4. MJ Recanati
      July 30th, 2013 | 3:38 pm

Steve L. wrote:

like Mario Lopez in terms of his skirt chasing.

Mario Lopez the guy that placed AC Slater on Saved By The Bell?

Skirt chasing by ballplayers is no big deal. Don’t see why that’s worth mentioning.

5. Garcia
      July 30th, 2013 | 3:55 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Yeah, succinctly captured there Steve.

6. Garcia
      July 30th, 2013 | 4:02 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Yeah I don’t have a problem with ballplayers getting perpetually amounts of strange – that’s what they are supposed to do. Geez…now you want faithful ballplayers too, Steve? That might be asking for too much. Cashman likes crazy chicks, Steve Phillips like fat ugly chicks, ARod likes she-male chicks, Jeter likes model chicks.

Can’t you just be happy that they are happy?

7. #15
      July 30th, 2013 | 6:00 pm

MLB needs to end the drip, drip, drip and get the suspensions out on the table. They keep knocking the game off of the sports pages. Not a good thing for the game.

8. Corey
      July 30th, 2013 | 6:04 pm

@ #15:
      Agreed. The more days they wait, the more days people are going to talk about it.

July 30th, 2013 | 7:30 pm

Can’t even say that he’s part Bonds. At least Bonds handled his business and didn’t give a care to what people thought about him. Rodriguez manages to find himself in awkward positions doing the most mundane of things, and even some of the weirder things. Guy just can’t get out of his own way, and people feed off it.

10. MJ Recanati
      July 30th, 2013 | 9:07 pm

@ Raf:
      Agree, though the irony of it all was that people hated that about Bonds — how he was an asshole and didn’t care if you hated him — yet people hate A-Rod for his inability to show the same self-assured demeanor.

People can’t make up their minds about what irritates them in an athlete.

11. Garcia
      July 31st, 2013 | 12:23 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

@ Raf:
      People can’t make up their minds about what irritates them in an athlete.

I hardly think that is true. People did not hate Bonds because he was self-assured, they hated him because he was an asshole. Using that logic, you can say the same for Manny Ramirez too. He might am be an idiot, though he is definitely self-assured, but in the end he proved to be an asshole. ARod comes across as a weak and a extremely fragile human being. He’s hated because despite all his fortunes, he can’t seem to get out of his own way. Look at the complete 180 that Lebron has gone through and, yes, winning championships helps, but he’s not even out trying to be the face of basketball. His greatness does not need to be validated. ARod always wanted his greatness validated, whether by money, appearances and talking out of his ass, and he never knew how to fight thru a adversity. People hate him because he’s weak.

12. MJ Recanati
      July 31st, 2013 | 9:28 am

Garcia wrote:

Perhaps self-assured was the wrong way (or too polite way of saying it). Bonds was an ass and he didn’t care what you thought. People hated that about him because fans want to root for a guy that appears humble and appears to care what fans think. Bonds clearly didn’t care whether fans embraced him or not and that’s a big reason why so many were turned off by him.

Contrasted to Rodriguez — who only cares what people think — it’s funny that two men are hated for being polar opposites.

13. MJ Recanati
      July 31st, 2013 | 9:29 am

Garcia wrote:

People hate him because he’s weak.

I’ve always found that an odd reason to hate someone.

14. Garcia
      July 31st, 2013 | 11:06 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Garcia wrote:
      People hate him because he’s weak.
      I’ve always found that an odd reason to hate someone.

If he were a regular guy like you and me, then I would tend to agree. But even in that situation we’ve all hated a weak boss, who refuses to stand-up for the people that report to him.

Anyhow, ARod comes across as someone with a lot of issues, not exactly displaying the confidence of a Jeter, Mariano, or Posada. When he swings, walks, smiles, strikesout it all looks rehersed and he’s placating. He doesn’t look genuine. That all gets translated as weak – no?

15. MJ Recanati
      July 31st, 2013 | 11:29 am

@ Garcia:
      The thing is, I’ve never perceived him to be any less genuine than every other athlete so I don’t perceive him in the way you do.

16. Garcia
      July 31st, 2013 | 11:59 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

@ Garcia:

Really? Guys like Bernie, Curtis Martin, Harry Carson, Posada, Phil Simms, you don’t think there quite a number of good genuine guys out there too?

17. MJ Recanati
      July 31st, 2013 | 1:49 pm

@ Garcia:
      You’re trying to argue with me as to my subjective opinion of Rodriguez. You perceive Rodriguez as a phony and I perceive him as no less or more phony than every other public figure that carefully crafts his or her personna to satisfy norms and expectations.

Rodriguez’s personality just isn’t a very important subject to me and I’ve never understood why people get worked up about whether these guys are “real” or not. Who cares? I watch these guys for entertainment only and I don’t care if they’re good people, bad people, genuine, phony, womanizers, alcoholics, or anything else.