• It’s August 2nd – And We Still Remember

Posted by on August 2nd, 2013 · Comments (10)

It would have been fun.

Comments on It’s August 2nd – And We Still Remember

1. PHMDen
      August 2nd, 2013 | 1:57 pm

“Where were you when?” Watching WPIX in NY when programming was interrupted to bring viewers the tragic news. The image of Jackson crying in right-field with his head bowed under the words “Our Captain and leader has not left us…” on the scoreboard was unforgettable.

2. August 2nd, 2013 | 2:02 pm

PHMDen wrote:

“Where were you when?”

3. redbug
      August 2nd, 2013 | 2:38 pm

@ PHMDen:The image of Jackson crying in right-field

That ticked me off then and still does. What a phony. Mr straw that stirs the drink. Similar to Arod dismissing Jeter, Reggie tried the same w/ Thurman.

4. August 2nd, 2013 | 3:02 pm

@ redbug:
      FWIW, some reports say that, mostly because of Munson, the two had patched things up…to the point where they would share a cheeseburger, after that stupid interview.

5. August 2nd, 2013 | 3:17 pm
    6. redbug
      August 2nd, 2013 | 5:14 pm

@ Steve L.:

I believe Munson was a better person than me. Plus, he took his job as captain seriously. But, while he may have forgiven Jackson, I haven’t.

7. KPOcala
      August 2nd, 2013 | 5:48 pm

I remember wanting to cry/vomit, all day, and still feel like that watching the “Munson Montage”. He was a “mans’ ballplayer”…. RIP, Thurman.

8. KPOcala
      August 2nd, 2013 | 5:52 pm

@ redbug: I’ve always wondered about Jackson’s reaction, as well. Even now, more so, really, Jackson comes across as a attention “vampire”. He even, uuuh, sucked up to A-Rods’……

9. 77yankees
      August 2nd, 2013 | 7:45 pm

I posted this link a couple weeks back, but it bears repeating.

If you were too young to see or remember it, or like me, haven’t seen it since watching it live 34 yrs ago tomorrow, it’s still poignant and emotional to where it’s nearly indescribable.

10. #15
      August 3rd, 2013 | 1:10 am

Obviously someone that meant/means a great deal to me. His “you’ll have to really want it to beat me” persona was very formative to me.

One of my most highly prized possessions is a Diana Munson signed baseball, combined with the genuine warmth she’s shown on the several times I’ve met her.

RIP.