• Since May 21st, 2013, The Yankees Are 29-38

Posted by on August 6th, 2013 · Comments (7)

This is after starting the season 28-16.

Twelve games over, nine games under…for a net of three games over.

Yes, on the morning of August 6th, the Yankees are only three games over .500 on the season.

This is the Yankees worst record after 111 games since 1995.  But, you have to remember that 1994 and 1995 were funky years because of the strange schedules.

The last time, before this year, where the Yankees had 54+ losses after 111 games in a 162-game season, was 1992.  And, that year, New York went 76-86 on the season.

When I think about this, the same question always comes to my head: What signs are there to suggest that next year is going to be any better?

Comments on Since May 21st, 2013, The Yankees Are 29-38

1. August 6th, 2013 | 7:47 pm

The answer to the question is simple, none. The team needs a baseball executive that commands respects. Someone who can bring the powers that be into a room and explain the facts of baseball life. As far as the Yankees are concerned those facts can be summed up in two words, it’s over. The Soriano, Wells, Hafner, wait until we get Jeter back are not answers, they’re delusions. With Mo leaving, the Yanks will need help in the pen, they have no serious candidate for starting catcher, the starting pitching is short, the infield needs a big time infusion of talent, the 2014 outfield might well be cornered by a 38 year old and a 40 year old. Responding to all this with, as long as long as someone can play age doesn’t matter, is gathering a hoedown with the fiddle music being provided by Nero. To top this all off, the Yankee farm clubs appear to be located in a part of the baseball world referred to as the dust bowl.

Work needs to be done. There is no putting this off any longer. Rebuild, it’s the only answer.

2. Mr. October
      August 6th, 2013 | 8:03 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

The team needs a baseball executive that commands respect

Agreed. But Cashman’s not going anywhere.
      Joseph Maloney wrote:

the starting pitching is short

The belief that the starting pitching can be made championship-calibre by this front office through the availability of funds with a Rodriguez suspension, reset of luxury tax liability in 2014, etc. and pursuit of talent on the open market or free agents in the short term or near future is also a delusion.

3. August 7th, 2013 | 12:33 am

@ Mr. October:

You may be right about Cashman ,but I wouldn’t bet the ranch on it. It’s going to be a September to remember for the owners and not in a good way. Empty seats, low rating and a new partner (FOX) launching a sports network. The behind the scenes dynamics may produce some surprises. Cashman has to go, let’s hope.

4. Mr. October
      August 7th, 2013 | 11:10 am

@ Joseph Maloney:
      As I wrote in a previous post, according to a well-respected sportswriter I’m acquainted with who writes for a major NY newspaper, Cashman is “entrenched” through a long-standing relationship with Hal, and Hal would like to retain Cashman and see him have a “better legacy.” This tells me a couple of things about Hal.
      And it confirms my own impressions and observations about the parties involved and how this organization works. I hope you’re right and I’m wrong…

5. MJ Recanati
      August 7th, 2013 | 11:21 am

Mr. October wrote:

I can’t think of any sportswriters in NY that are worthy of much respect.

6. Mr. October
      August 7th, 2013 | 12:04 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      To the extent one can worthy of much respect in relation to other NY sportswriters. I don’t particularly care for this person’s column in all honesty or some of his insights, but he is one of the most notable journalists in NY sports, a close friend of Jack Curry, Brian Cashman’s advisor on the Overbay roster move a few months ago, and someone that should have more knowledge on the subject than myself.

And as I wrote, his comments confirm with my own impressions and observations about the parties involved and how this organization “functions.”

7. Ricketson
      August 7th, 2013 | 6:36 pm

Mr. October wrote:

Mr. October wrote:

They could start with Cashman: instead of a new contract or an extension through 2017 or beyond at more than $3 million each year, give the job to Jack Curry at $1 million each year.

In other words, “you know Jack Curry, or a friend of his, and John Cashman’s son: he’s no Jack Curry.”

I think Dan Quayle would be a better G.M. than Cashman… Or Sarah Palin, for that matter: she went to five undergraduate colleges or universities all of which were better than the one Cashman allegedly graduated from. Have his transcripts ever been made public?