• Why Were The Yankees Wearing White-Billed Caps In Their Game?

Posted by on August 10th, 2013 · Comments (6)

Via ESPN -

During the pregame ceremony on Friday, the Yankees announced to the crowd: “New Era is the official on-field cap of Major League Baseball and has been a part of MLB history since 1930. On July 21st, the New Era Cap Company hosted the 11th Annual David C. Koch Memorial Gala and Golf Tournament to raise money for the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute in order to raise awareness and help prevent cancer.

“Tonight, in honor of this, the New York Yankees will be wearing the New Era Diamond Era On-Field Batting Practice 59Fifty Cap for the game. In recognition of its long-standing partnership with both the Koch family and New Era and their fight against cancer, tonight the New York Yankees are also pleased to donate $10,000 to the David C. Koch Foundation.”

New Era is a major sponsor of the Yankees, and together the two sponsor the New Era Pinstripe Bowl played at Yankee Stadium.

I don’t get this? The awareness and the donation are great. But, doesn’t New Era also make the customary navy blue 59-Fifty caps with the interlocking “NY” that the Yankees normally wear? So, what’s the point of wearing the BP caps, other than maybe trying to boost sales of those? Or, am I missing something?

Comments on Why Were The Yankees Wearing White-Billed Caps In Their Game?

1. redbug
      August 10th, 2013 | 7:21 am

Thanks for answering this question. I wondered why throughout the game. I dislike when they wear anything other than their regular uniform.

August 10th, 2013 | 10:15 am

I don’t get it either, especially given the brouhaha over the Mets wearing FDNY & NYPD caps. I don’t know if New Era makes those caps; if they don’t, I probably have my answer.

3. August 10th, 2013 | 12:11 pm

The Yankee look is classic, the envy of all sports, why tamper with it. The cap worn last night is an eye sore.

4. 77yankees
      August 10th, 2013 | 12:20 pm

So they can sell an extra 50 caps for $40 to suckers? Really, you can go to Lids in the mall and find Yankee hats in 50 different colors and styles at least. Doesn’t mean they should be wearing them on the field.

Why do all these teams, and I’m talking all sports here, feel a need to change, tweak and modify their uniforms every five minutes? Because most of the new uniforms these days make you wonder WTF were they thinking?

The classic uniforms: the Yankees, the Dodgers home unis, the Packers, Red Wings: those are the ones that haven’t been changed in the last 50-60 years, and certainly don’t have a problem selling.

5. Corey
      August 10th, 2013 | 12:54 pm

77yankees wrote:

So they can sell an extra 50 caps for $40 to suckers?

You need to get out more…there’s a lot more suckers out there than you think.

6. 77yankees
      August 10th, 2013 | 7:51 pm

Corey wrote:

there’s a lot more suckers out there than you think.

I won’t be one of them, and I think many of the posters here won’t be either.