• Mets & Yankees, Which Team Will Be Better First?

Posted by on August 11th, 2013 · Comments (8)

Both the Yankees and the Mets suck this season. Between the two, which team will rise from the ashes and have a team capable of winning 90+ games and making the post-season? Why?

Personally, I think the Mets may get there first. They have the young starting pitching that the Yankee lack. And, I think Sandy Alderson is smarter than Brian Cashman. But, the Mets ownership is a mess and lacks money. So, you never know…

Comments on Mets & Yankees, Which Team Will Be Better First?

1. Corey
      August 11th, 2013 | 9:55 am

I actually thought prior to the year that the Mets would hover closer to .500 for most of the year. They have pretty good young MLB-ready pitching (Harvey, Niese, Wheeler) and they have arms coming up from the minors (noah syndergaard, Jenrry Mejia) and they have cheap back-end options (Gee, and Hefner).

Their bullpen is a mess outside of the emergence of Parnell. If we’re to believe that Cashman is a shitty GM, then surely Alderson can put together a bullpen on the go like Cashman does.

Offensively, you’ve obviously got David Wright. That’s about it, though. I really thought Ike Davis was going to step up this year and be a superstar. Clearly I was wrong on that one. Supposedly, they are ready to spend some money so perhaps they are able to swing a salary dump trade or get a bat in free agency. Since there are a lot of teams looking to do the same thing, I am not going to hold my breath.

Personally, I think the Mets will put it back together before the Yankees do. And, frankly, they should. They’ve had enough time.

2. 77yankees
      August 11th, 2013 | 11:00 am

It’s nice to have young promising starting pitching, but as we’ve seen (Wilson, Pulsipher, Insringhausen and Hughes, Joba, Kennedy), it’s not a guarantee for success.

And if Harvey and/or Wheeler end up being mentioned in the same paragraph any time soon with Tommy John or Dr. James Andrews, that’s going to scratch the needle on that record.

3. August 11th, 2013 | 12:13 pm

Corey wrote:

Agreed.

4. Tuttle
      August 11th, 2013 | 1:35 pm

Alderson vs. Cashman; that’s a tough one. I might go with Alderson…

5. Corey
      August 11th, 2013 | 8:58 pm

77yankees wrote:

You can say that about every teams best pitcher.

6. Goose
      August 11th, 2013 | 10:49 pm

Corey wrote:

Personally, I think the Mets will put it back together before the Yankees do.

Agreed.

7. Evan3457
      August 12th, 2013 | 1:11 am

The Mets; I’ve been telling Mets fans who are friends of mine to be patient, Alderson, Ricciardi and DePodesta are good at what they do. I’ve telling them I’d rather have their management team than the Yanks’.

Yes, CDS folks, I actually said that, and I included Cashman in that assessment.

The Mets have good people in charge, and a 2-3 year head start in rebuilding; they’ll be better than the Yankees, if not by the end of this year, then very likely by next year.

8. Evan3457
      August 12th, 2013 | 1:12 am

77yankees wrote:

Well, yeah. But having 1 ace, and a good line on 2 or 3 more, is an excellent way to start.