• Whitey Ford & Andy Pettitte

Posted by on August 14th, 2013 · Comments (10)

Two of a kind? It’s really had to say one was that much better than the other, no?

WAR ▴ WAR7 JAWS Yrs From To W L W-L% ERA+ G GS IP BB IBB SO BF
    Whitey Ford HOF 57.4 34.7 46.0 16 1950 1967 236 106 .690 133 498 438 3170.1 1086 44 1956 13036
    Andy Pettitte 58.3 34.1 46.2 18 1995 2013 252 151 .625 116 522 512 3255.1 1016 42 2407 13840
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 8/14/2013.

Comments on Whitey Ford & Andy Pettitte

1. KPOcala
      August 14th, 2013 | 5:46 pm

Won’t stake my life on what I’ve read about Whitey, but here it is: I’ve read, as I’m sure many of you guys have as well, that Stengel would line Whitey up to face down the other team’s “Ace”. It would then follow that Whitey would have lost some games, as a result, but also a lot of starts which he would have made. In spite of this, he still wound up with that ridiculous winning percentage, over a long career. For my money, Andy belongs in the Hall, as well. And a big part of my thoughts on Andy, were those playoff games where he pitched like his life was on the line…. Also, in Andy’s era, it is damned hard to get to 250 wins….

2. Corey
      August 14th, 2013 | 6:29 pm

@ KPOcala:
      Do you put McGwire, Sosa, A-Rod and Bonds in the HOF then?

3. August 14th, 2013 | 6:40 pm

KPOcala wrote:

See: http://www.robneyer.com/book_03_NYA.html

4. August 16th, 2013 | 12:09 am

I could never understand the promotion conscious Yankees letting Andy go after2003. He was definitely in line to break Ford’s record for wins.

August 16th, 2013 | 12:54 am

@ Joseph Maloney:
      I don’t think the Yanks really appreciated Pettitte his first go-round with the Yanks.

6. August 16th, 2013 | 10:07 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Another Cashman miscalculation. He dissed Pettitte by putting him on the back burner.

7. MJ Recanati
      August 16th, 2013 | 10:19 am

Steve L. wrote:

Pettitte was so offended that he came back in 2007 for more abuse.

8. August 16th, 2013 | 10:54 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Pettitte was so offended that he came back in 2007 for more abuse.

The fact that he came back does take away from the fact that Cashman mismanaged the situation that brought cause for him to leave.

9. MJ Recanati
      August 16th, 2013 | 11:00 am

Steve L. wrote:

As I said, Pettitte was so offended that he came back for more.

10. Kamieniecki
      August 16th, 2013 | 11:34 am

Steve L. wrote:

“Miscalculation” might be an understatement.
      Steve L. wrote: