• One Of The Best Fights Ever Aired On MSG

Posted by on August 15th, 2013 · Comments (16)

Comments on One Of The Best Fights Ever Aired On MSG

1. August 15th, 2013 | 8:48 am

It’s amazing how much some of these guys have aged in 15 years.

2. Mr. October
      August 15th, 2013 | 10:38 am

Jeter was 24, and looked even younger. Tino Martinez wasn’t asked for his resignation for grabbing someone by the jersey either, or that I can recall…

3. August 15th, 2013 | 10:44 am

Mr. October wrote:

LOL

4. Sweet Lou
      August 15th, 2013 | 12:48 pm

Not one of the finest moments of Brosius’s career in Pinstripes ever aired on MSG.

5. Evan3457
      August 15th, 2013 | 2:23 pm

Steve L. wrote:

It’s amazing how much some of these guys have aged in 15 years.

Haven’t we all? ;)

6. August 15th, 2013 | 2:52 pm

@ Evan3457:
      Sadly, yes.

7. #15
      August 15th, 2013 | 8:43 pm

On that night, Straw earned his pinstripes for life in my mind. Bravo to Lloyd and Nellie too.

8. Kamieniecki
      August 16th, 2013 | 11:20 am

#15 wrote:

Agreed.

9. #15
      August 16th, 2013 | 1:22 pm

@ Kamieniecki:
      I talked to Straw about that fight. He said that as soon as Tino got hit, a bunch of guys were on the top step. But as soon as Benitez glared into the dugout, Straw (shrugging his shoulders) said in a very matter of fact manner, “We had to go get him. He called us out.”

Nice links back to the Sun at that time…

and…

10. Kamieniecki
      August 16th, 2013 | 2:36 pm

#15 wrote:

“We had to go get him. He called us out.”

“Eventually the fight rolled toward the Orioles’ dugout with… Strawberry [punching] Benitez. The force of Strawberry’s swing carried him into the dugout, with players from both teams following…

“Replays… show Benitez’s reaction to hitting Martinez as… extending his arms and flicking his fingers as if challenging the entire Yankees dugout… Benitez said his gesture was made specifically to Strawberry, who had begun to leave the dugout and was challenging him… ‘I wasn’t calling out all those guys. I was looking at Strawberry. He said he was going to kick my [butt]. I said, “Let’s go” I’m going to defend myself…’ [Punched] by Strawberry, Benitez argues he did not instigate the fight. ‘I didn’t throw the first punch,’ he said.”

@ #15:
      Thanks… I appreciate the comments, and the articles.

11. Goose
      August 16th, 2013 | 2:54 pm

#15 wrote:

[Straw] said that as soon as Tino got hit, a bunch of guys were on the top step. But as soon as Benitez glared into the dugout, Straw (shrugging his shoulders) said in a very matter of fact manner, “We had to go get him. He called us out.”

@ #15:
      Great little anecdote… I had forgotten Strawberry leading the way out of the dugout after Martinez was drilled.

12. KPOcala
      August 16th, 2013 | 11:26 pm

I remember that fight, clearly. What always stuck in my mind was that Tino was hitting the hell out of the ball at that time, and (in MY mind)never was quite the same hitter. I’ve often wondered if he had some disk damage to his back from that pitch. I’ll acknowledge, that I’ve nothing to back me up on any of this. But I despised Benitez for the rest of his career…. I DID notice the Captain not wanting to get in the middle of those guys ;)

13. Mr. October
      August 17th, 2013 | 6:49 am

KPOcala wrote:

I’ll acknowledge, that I’ve nothing to back me up on any of this.

@ KPOcala:
      Nothing to “back” you up on the possibility of disk damage?

14. KPOcala
      August 17th, 2013 | 1:09 pm

@ Mr. October: LOL! Usually I shoot for the terrible pun ;)

15. Mr. October
      August 17th, 2013 | 1:52 pm

KPOcala wrote:

LOL! Usually I shoot for the terrible pun

You hit your mark…

16. KPOcala
      August 17th, 2013 | 3:49 pm

@ Mr. October: Man, you didn’t have to be so nice ;)