• Ding, Ding…It’s Yankees, Red Sox, In September…With Something On The Line

Posted by on September 5th, 2013 · Comments (11)

According to fangraphs, as of this morning, the Red Sox have a 99.8 % chance of reaching the post-season this year, via winning the division or getting the wildcard, whereas the Yankees have a 15.9 % chance.

Starting this evening, the two teams face off against each other for a four game series in the Bronx.

It will be Jake Peavy against Ivan Nova tonight – followed by Felix Doubront versus Andy Pettitte on Friday. And, over the weekend, it will be John Lackey and David Huff on Saturday with Jon Lester and Hiroki Kuroda on Sunday. (Figures, the game I will be going to, I pull Huff!)

The Yankees have to win at least three of four in this series, all things considered, to continue their fight to make the playoffs this year.

Even if Boston loses three of four, I don’t think it hurts their chances to play in October. But, I have to think that they want to win as many of these games as possible.

The Yankees have won 12 of their last 17 games. The Red Sox have won 10 of their last 13 games. Both teams are “hot” right now.

This all has the makings of one exciting four game series starting in Yankee Stadium today. Are you up for it? Why? And, what do you think will happen in the four games?

Comments on Ding, Ding…It’s Yankees, Red Sox, In September…With Something On The Line

1. #15
      September 5th, 2013 | 9:58 am

And, don’t forget….

Someone on the Botox needs to get drilled tonight…

Just sayin’.

2. September 5th, 2013 | 10:19 am

@ #15:
      That will be interesting, to see how it is handled.
      Who does it? Nova? When? Which batter?
      I have to think Nova is the best bet. I don’t see any of the other starters doing it.
      Or, maybe a RP is the hitman?
      I do think the Yankees have to be careful with it. You don’t want to inspire the Red Sox. But, I also think they are forced into doing something…since Dempster broke the unwritten rule of taking four shots at a guy in a PA, even if it was A-Rod.

3. Garcia
      September 5th, 2013 | 10:40 am

Steve L. wrote:

Agreed. Even Girardi said as much! Man, I’m so fired up…the Giants vs. Cowgirls, the Yanks vs. Sux. This is when I wish I was single, talking about fucking apple picking…ain’t nobody got time for dat!

4. #15
      September 5th, 2013 | 11:26 am

Steve L. wrote:

@ #15:

There could be a consequence of not doing something as well, as in the Yankee clubhouse feeling less cohesive. Every position player wants to know the pitching staff has their back. A succesful plunking (not at anyone’s head) will help gel the Yankees. Has to happen. I hope it’s Ortiz and I hope he jumps Dumpster’s ass for it. If the Bloodsox fire back with a plunking, the Yankees must respond in kind.

5. September 5th, 2013 | 11:59 am

If this thing escalates tonight, and players go on to the field, you think A-Rod will be seeking out Dempster?

I doubt it. A-Rod is too much of a wuss for that.

6. Sweet Lou
      September 5th, 2013 | 2:08 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Or, maybe a RP is the hitman?

Agreed; more likely a RP than Nova.

7. NC Yankee
      September 5th, 2013 | 2:12 pm

Arod didn’t look like too much of a wuss when he was kicking Veritek’s ass in 2004. All they show now is Tek shoving his glove in Alex’s face, but right after that Alex put a Nolan Ryan on Ventura headlock on him. Also Tek was too much of a “wuss” to take his mask off.

8. September 5th, 2013 | 2:33 pm

@ NC Yankee:
      A-Rod kicked Varitek’s ass in that fight? Really?

9. Garcia
      September 5th, 2013 | 4:12 pm

Steve L. wrote:

@ NC Yankee:
      A-Rod kicked Varitek’s ass in that fight? Really?

On another note, I don’t think enough is being made how close this Yankees team seems to be. The Sox losing to the O’s on the last game of the year in 2011, all you heard coming out of the clubhouse was how they all hated each other. There was the chicken and beer stuff, Terry on his last year and all the chirping. There has been none of that with the Yanks. They didn’t turn on each other at any point, they just keep chugging all along. The worst thing, non-baseball news this year, was our two prima donnas: Cashman and ARod.

Girardi deserves a lot of credit for that cohesion, but also goes to show you there’s little ego on this team.

10. rsr
      September 5th, 2013 | 6:29 pm

“Arod didn’t look like too much of a wuss when he was kicking Veritek’s ass in 2004.”

LOL.

“I don’t think Varitek won that fight either, the little sox b&tch with that stupid ‘C’ on his chest had his mask on the entire time.”

This is the way catchers fight. They don’t take time off to take the mask off. Posada would also fight with his mask on. Neither one knows how to fight, and it didn’t ignite the red sox. They were 5 and 5 over there next 10 games. But enough time has gone by everyone just makes up their own version of events.

11. Sweet Lou
      September 5th, 2013 | 7:23 pm

The Red Sox showed a fight of a Yankee kicking a Red Sock’s ass on the scoreboard before home games for years?