• Yankees To WFAN?

Posted by on September 10th, 2013 · Comments (10)

Via Neil Best -

The Yankees and CBS Radio are close to a deal that would put the Yankees on WFAN starting in 2014, a person familiar with the negotiations told Newsday.

The arrangement would bump the Mets off the station that has carried their games since WFAN’s inception in 1987.

Lonn Trost, the Yankees’ chief operating officer, said Tuesday a deal for the team’s radio rights is “close,” but he would not confirm or deny that WFAN is the likely landing place.

“Right now we’re in negotiations and everything is confidential,” Trost said. “Part of the agreement we’re drafting has a confidentiality agreement. I can’t even get into it. I am close with some entity for next year.”

Still, he cautioned, “Things have gone in so many directions with this negotiation . . . I can’t tell you today if it will be the same thing tomorrow.”

It is not clear where the Mets would land, but options include ESPN Radio and one or more of the New York stations — including WOR — owned by Clear Channel Communications, which earlier in the process made a serious bid for the Yankees’ rights.

All indications are that John Sterling would remain the team’s play-by-play man. Less certain is the status of his partner, Suzyn Waldman, but if the team gives its blessing they will continue the on-air partnership that began in 2005.

The Yankees currently are carried by WCBS Radio, which like WFAN, is owned by CBS. The current one-year contract is believed to pay the team $13 to $14 million.

Does this mean that A-Rod won’t be allowed to call Big Mike anymore?

Comments on Yankees To WFAN?

1. September 10th, 2013 | 5:25 pm

The FAN may want to put its own signature on the broadcast. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the station add a play by play person to split the call with Sterling (not that Sterling will be happy with that dicision). The station might use Waldman for pre and postgame shows.

2. September 11th, 2013 | 7:16 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Maybe Murti. He did try and get a gig with the Phils a while back.

3. Garcia
      September 11th, 2013 | 10:27 am

Steve L. wrote:

Maybe Murti.

That would be great! Has anyone ever said a bad word about Murti? His peers love him, Yankees fans love him, the worst thing to happen to Murti was when the big bad Gargamel fell asleep on him during the interview.

4. Corey
      September 11th, 2013 | 11:55 am

@ Garcia:
      Heard he was a jerk from one of his old neighbors. But who cares as long as he’s good at what he does.

5. #15
      September 11th, 2013 | 5:43 pm

I’ve met and chatted with Sweeny several times. I can say that he does live and breath it. He seemed up to talking Yankees and baseball with anyone at any level. Nice enough from what I could tell and knowledgable of the subject.

In a similar venue/context, I’ve also crossed paths with Kay, Olden and Sterling. Kay was friendly and loquacious. Olden was new to his current job at the time and seemed friendly but a bit plastic. Sterling was introverted, aloof and uncomforatble in his own skin. Not someone you’d want to have a beer with by any measure.

I haven’t met Suzy and hope it stays that way.

6. MJ Recanati
      September 12th, 2013 | 11:42 am

@ #15:
      I confirm about Michael Kay. I’ve run into him twice in my mom and dad’s neighborhood and really found him to be a nice guy to talk with and seemed down to earth.

7. redbug
      September 12th, 2013 | 5:42 pm

Kay may be a nice guy but I can’t stand listening to him. He’s self-absorbed.

I much prefer Singleton and Cone.

8. September 13th, 2013 | 7:36 am

I sincerely enjoy and have tremendous respect for Singleton. That said, lately, he seems to be showing a bit of age in his recent games…making mistakes, missing things.

He’s only 66. So, I don’t understand it.

9. Kamieniecki
      October 1st, 2013 | 4:41 pm

Great job by Suzyn Waldman working the Saturday game against Houston, and informing listeners “watching” the radio broadcast that the Astros’ pitcher Paul “Clement” was not related to “Roger Clement.”

10. October 1st, 2013 | 4:42 pm

Oh, my, Gawd! It’s Paul Clement in George Steinbrenner’s box!