• Andy Pettitte To Retire (Again)

Posted by on September 20th, 2013 · Comments (8)

Yankees left-hander Andy Pettitte will announce his retirement on Friday, sources told Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports.

This is sad – even though you knew it was coming. He is one of my all-time favorite Yankees. And, in my mind, he is one of the greatest starting pitchers in the franchise history. Andy Pettitte was a ballplayer’s pitcher…and he will be missed, for a long, long, time.

Comments on Andy Pettitte To Retire (Again)

1. September 20th, 2013 | 2:25 pm

Wow. Maybe it’s time to close the blog? Pettitte announces his retirement, and, in the two hours that follows, no one wants to comment on it?

2. JeremyM
      September 20th, 2013 | 4:41 pm

I’m at work, but even though I figured it was coming, I’m still bummed, Too bummed to really comment.

3. Mr. October
      September 20th, 2013 | 4:43 pm

It’s not a bad way for him to go out: he really did a great job this year, and deserves as much credit as anyone for keeping the team in it until the last week of the season.

No more House That Ruth Built, George M. Steinbrenner, Jorge Posada, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, and Yankee dominance in a 6-year timeframe (2009-14) – that’s a lot of change for fans of a certain demographic.

4. redbug
      September 20th, 2013 | 5:44 pm

And then there was one. Just Jeter left (hopefully).

He’s been pitching his heart out. It doesn’t feel like anyone besides Andy and Mo are.

If we were in a must win situation, I always wanted Andy on the mound. I will miss him very much.

5. Evan3457
      September 20th, 2013 | 5:58 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Sorry. Busy at work.

6. Evan3457
      September 20th, 2013 | 6:00 pm

I’m half sorta hoping that Jeter decides shun what is clearly his due next season, and quietly rides off into the sunset with his two amigos.

I think, however, that like Mariano this season, he’ll be back to prove something next year. I hope it doesn’t turn into a funeral for his career.

September 20th, 2013 | 7:21 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Probably because we’ve been here before? :P

Seriously, I don’t know what happened but WW is blocked at work again, so I don’t pop in during the day.

8. Kamieniecki
      September 21st, 2013 | 12:47 pm

The only remaining links to the great 1996-2001 teams will be Derek Jeter and Special Assistant Gene Michael.