• Yanks Fans Say No To YES

    Posted by on October 2nd, 2013 · Comments (11)

    Via Richard Sandomir -

    The Yankees’ 85-77 record prevented them from making the American League playoffs. A disappointment, yes, but grounds to shun them? No.

    Yet a staggering 111,000 viewers disappeared from the Yankees’ telecasts for each game on the YES Network, leaving an average of 244,000 devoted souls to watch. That 31.2 percent plunge suggests deep dissatisfaction with a team that played most of the season without many of its stars and fielded lineups filled with the likes of Zoilo Almonte, Luis Cruz, David Huff and Brennan Boesch.

    A thirty percent drop? That’s gotta catch the attention of Spreadsheet Hal, right?

    Comments on Yanks Fans Say No To YES

    1. K-V-C
      October 2nd, 2013 | 9:38 am

      It not the just the team, for me it is the horrible broadcast. Too many voices. Leiter, Piniella, Cone and Flaherty need to go away. The Yes booth needs someone young, and I don’t know who that could be. The booth also has to be allowed to take off the Yankee pompoms and criticize the team.

      We routinely miss pitches because the camera is: on the stadium fans (there is no reason to ever show the fans during the regular season) or showing to many replays or flashbacks or trying to get a shot of something the guys are talking about (usually food with O’Niell.) Too many extreme closeups on pitchers, managers and fans. To many gadgets used just for the advertisement that sponsors it. (YESMO)

    2. October 2nd, 2013 | 10:13 am

      K-V-C wrote:

      The Yes booth needs someone young, and I don’t know who that could be.

      How about stealing Josh Lewin from the Mets and then kicking Michael Kay back to the radio side? Not sure how that would work with his FOX deal ‘tho?

    3. Evan3457
      October 2nd, 2013 | 11:46 am

      Steve L. wrote:

      A thirty percent drop? That’s gotta catch the attention of Spreadsheet Hal, right?

      You’d have to think so. The question becomes, will he break the team’s $189 million payroll cap this off-season, or take the money on the table and break it in the 2014-5 off-season?

    4. October 2nd, 2013 | 2:13 pm

      @ Evan3457:
      Hal is about P&L. His father was all about W&L.

    5. redbug
      October 2nd, 2013 | 5:45 pm

      But, the article goes on, “YES has no solvency problems, and even the loss of almost one-third of Yankees viewers will not affect its finances much. Its monthly subscriber fees are locked in and will rise annually despite the vagaries of viewership.

      At worst, the lost viewership could eat into advertising sales, but those sales represent barely 20 percent of YES’s revenue.”

      The point being…this drop won’t bother the bottom line much for quite some time. They will assume this will improve along w/ the team’s improvement over time.

    6. #15
      October 2nd, 2013 | 7:45 pm

      Put a winning team on and “People will come, Ray. People will come.”

      As one of the devoted souls, I saw too many games where the Yankees were just not fun watch. No offense, lack of clutch hitting, starters getting bombed, etc…. I did find myself drifting into the study at times, leaving the TV within eye and ear shot. There was little to keep the viewer glued to the set.

    7. October 2nd, 2013 | 8:45 pm

      redbug wrote:

      But, the article goes on, “YES has no solvency problems, and even the loss of almost one-third of Yankees viewers will not affect its finances much. Its monthly subscriber fees are locked in and will rise annually despite the vagaries of viewership. At worst, the lost viewership could eat into advertising sales, but those sales represent barely 20 percent of YES’s revenue.”The point being…this drop won’t bother the bottom line much for quite some time. They will assume this will improve along w/ the team’s improvement over time.

      This is the curse of bundled cable services. At the very least legislation should be passed by our *leaders in Washington which would unbundle all sports networks (this would include ESPN and FOX Sports) and require cable companies to offer these services a la carte.

      *in this case the word leaders is a synonym for the word
      bagman

    8. October 2nd, 2013 | 9:01 pm

      K-V-C wrote:

      It not the just the team, for me it is the horrible broadcast. Too many voices. Leiter, Piniella, Cone and Flaherty need to go away. The Yes booth needs someone young, and I don’t know who that could be. The booth also has to be allowed to take off the Yankee pompoms and criticize the team.We routinely miss pitches because the camera is: on the stadium fans (there is no reason to ever show the fans during the regular season) or showing to many replays or flashbacks or trying to get a shot of something the guys are talking about (usually food with O’Niell.) Too many extreme closeups on pitchers, managers and fans. To many gadgets used just for the advertisement that sponsors it. (YESMO)

      You are absolutely right, there are way too many voices on YES. I’d drop Kay in a New York minute, but that ain’t happening, so at the very least cut down the number of games he does. I’d get rid of Leiter and Piniella is a joke. Paul O’Neill isn’t bad but let’s face it he’s a bit of a narcissist and he needs to do more games to improve. One more, I’ve had enough of Meredith Marakovits, she really brings very little to the game coverage.

    9. Sweet Lou
      October 2nd, 2013 | 9:11 pm

      Joseph Maloney wrote:

      Piniella is a joke.

      I disagree.

    10. October 2nd, 2013 | 9:20 pm

      Sweet Lou wrote:

      Joseph Maloney wrote:Piniella is a joke. I disagree.

      I was there with you in the glory days of 77 & 78. Those were my favorite Yankee teams, I love Lou but he just brings nothing to the broadcast.

    11. Sweet Lou
      October 2nd, 2013 | 9:32 pm

      @ Joseph Maloney:
      “You have to learn how to get comfortable with being uncomfortable.”

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.