• Girardi Stays With Yankees

Posted by on October 9th, 2013 · Comments (9)

Joe Girardi has signed a new four-year contract that will make him the Yankees’ manager through 2017. Color me shocked.

Comments on Girardi Stays With Yankees

1. McMillan
      October 9th, 2013 | 5:00 pm

He must love the number 28…

2. redbug
      October 9th, 2013 | 5:39 pm

Well, he said he’s the type who needs to know what he’s doing the next day. He wasn’t able to formally negotiate w/ any other clubs till Nov 1. I’m sure the Yankees were pushing him w/ a deadline.

3. redbug
      October 9th, 2013 | 5:54 pm

He’ll know where his next paycheck is coming for 4 yrs. $16 mill according to Joel Sherman.

4. October 9th, 2013 | 8:12 pm

Yeah, it’s really a no brainer for that kind of money. Worst case, they suck, he gets fired, and he still gets paid…even if he goes to another team or ESPN or something

5. #15
      October 9th, 2013 | 10:00 pm

I’m glad he’s staying and I thought he would.

6. October 9th, 2013 | 10:03 pm

I wasn’t shocked, but I was stunned. This has to be the most years the team has ever given a manager (wasn’t Torre getting three year contracts). I certainly understand Girardi asking for it, but I wouldn’t given it to him (three years top). There are some very difficult days ahead, at some point Hal may finally wake-up and realize Cashman has to go, what happens when a new GM comes on board and he can’t change managers.

7. Sweet Lou
      October 9th, 2013 | 11:06 pm

It’s great Girardi is coming back next year: his presence could be the difference between 78 and 83 wins in 2014.

8. October 10th, 2013 | 7:39 am

The more I think about it, it was more a matter of being an offer that he could not refuse. And, really, were the Cubs going to give him more money than this?

9. JeremyM
      October 10th, 2013 | 11:04 am

Tye Cubs very well might have, but I think he likes it here. I think it’s a good move for the Yankees – I’d like to say the first of many, but…