• Yankees With 50+ Steals In A Season

    Posted by on December 4th, 2013 · Comments (10)

    It really hasn’t happened all that much:

    Rk Player Year SB Age Tm G PA CS
    1 Rickey Henderson 1988 93 29 NYY 140 647 13
    2 Rickey Henderson 1986 87 27 NYY 153 701 18
    3 Rickey Henderson 1985 80 26 NYY 143 654 10
    4 Snuffy Stirnweiss 1944 55 25 NYY 154 723 11
    5 Ben Chapman 1931 61 22 NYY 149 686 23
    6 Fritz Maisel 1915 51 25 NYY 135 592 12
    7 Fritz Maisel 1914 74 24 NYY 150 630 17
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Play Index Tool Used
    Generated 12/4/2013.

    .
    Will Jacoby Ellsbury join the club in 2014?

    Comments on Yankees With 50+ Steals In A Season

    1. Corey
      December 4th, 2013 | 11:47 pm

      Doubt it. He’s going to be an embarrassment from day 1.

    2. December 4th, 2013 | 11:50 pm

      Corey wrote:

      Doubt it. He’s going to be an embarrassment from day 1.

      Embarrassment to whom?

    3. Corey
      December 5th, 2013 | 12:09 am

      @ Steve L.:
      To the Yankees front office. They spent big money on a guy who’s not worth any of it. They did a piss poor job here. I’m still furious.

    4. #15
      December 5th, 2013 | 4:51 pm

      I think he gets there, or darn close, 2 or 3 times over the contract. My hope is he helps to school Gardner some. From what I’ve seen, Gardner is as fast or faster. He’s just not as aggressive from first base early in the count and doesn’t get Ellsbury’s jumps. They should both steal north of 40 bags, and 50 each is not out of reach. Very few other teams have two guys with this kind of irritating speed.

    5. MJ Recanati
      December 5th, 2013 | 5:11 pm

      @ #15:
      Apparently the Yanks are talking about keeping both and batting both at the top of the order. I don’t quite know how that would work but, potentiall, it would mean a lot of speed on the bases for 3-4-5 hitters in the lineup.

      Corey wrote:

      Doubt it. He’s going to be an embarrassment from day 1.

      That’s an overreaction. He’ll be valuable for the first part of the contract.

    6. Corey
      December 5th, 2013 | 7:51 pm

      @ MJ Recanati:
      For $21 million, you better get a player that can carry your team at times. Cano can. Can Ellsbury? No.

    7. MJ Recanati
      December 6th, 2013 | 11:57 am

      Corey wrote:

      For $21 million, you better get a player that can carry your team at times. Cano can. Can Ellsbury? No.

      That’s a strawman/moving goalpost argument.

      Ellsbury won’t be “an embarrassment from day 1″ because he’s a good player. He may not be worth the money over the life of the contract but he’s not falling off the table on “day 1″. Cano has nothing to do with what Ellsbury produces and I’d say it’s quite evident that the Yankees aren’t treating it as a binary choice between Ellsbury and Cano. They can still sign Cano if they want to.

    8. MJ Recanati
      December 6th, 2013 | 12:21 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      They can still sign Cano if they want to.

      And apparently Seattle just put an end to Cano coming back. 10Y/$240M. Stupid contract by Seattle.

    9. McMillan
      December 6th, 2013 | 9:04 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      That’s an overreaction.

      That’s what Cashman said to Louise Meanwell.

    10. Kamieniecki
      December 6th, 2013 | 9:20 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      That’s a strawman/moving goalpost argument.

      No it isn’t.

      It’s not a straw man argument, or a moving goalpost argument, to express an opinion that a $153-169 mil. outfielder should be one that is capable of carrying a team, among other things. This was the third richest contract offered to an outfielder in M.L.B. history, courtesy of The Checkbook G.M.

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Ellsbury won’t be “an embarrassment from day 1″ because he’s a good player.

      Not the way Igawa was, no.

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Stupid contract by Seattle.

      Stupid handling of Robinson Cano by this organization for the last two years; and the Ellsbury contract was a stupid contract, not necessarily the Cano contract.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.