• I Just Hope They Don’t Ask My 9-Year Old To Tesitfy

Posted by on December 29th, 2013 · Comments (11)

My 9-year old son and I spend a lot of time talking about hitting. And, to be candid, he knows more about swing mechanics than most kids in the 4th grade. Is this good? Well, if not, blame me…I suppose.

In any event, today, he’s not feeling all that great today – fever and a sore throat – and, it’s a soaker outside since the morning. So, we decided to chill in the family room this afternoon and pop the “2009 World Series Film” into the Blu-Ray player.

Well, we’re watching it – and the footage has a lot of A-Rod homers including a few in slow motion and super slo-mo.

After see a few of these Alex Rodriguez big flies, my son says to me “I don’t get it. A lot of times he seems to hit the ball off the end of the bat. But, when he hits it, the balls travels so far and goes out of the park.”

Out of the mouth of babes, right?

Paging Dr. Anthony Galea…

Comments on I Just Hope They Don’t Ask My 9-Year Old To Tesitfy

1. KPOcala
      December 30th, 2013 | 2:28 am

But, but, Keith Law says that he sees no “evidence” that PEDs help performance! For some reason, I remember watching Mo Vaughn flailing,almost falling over, ball off the end of the bat. Infield fly out. No. Easy fly for an outfielder. No. Ball going for a home run. Yes. I’ve noticed the hysteria over “innocent until proven guilty” nonsense seems to have gone out, not with a bang, but with a whisper ;)

2. jay
      December 30th, 2013 | 2:45 pm

I’d be curious as to what swings/hits you are talking about, specifcally.

3. KPOcala
      December 30th, 2013 | 8:14 pm

@ jay: Jay, I’m not sure if you’re replying to Steve, or myself. But if I had a data chart, with attached video clips, and told you the the date, and the swing, what then? You threw a rhetorical bone, you can do the looking.

4. jay
      December 31st, 2013 | 11:01 am

I was replying to Steve. Looking at your post for the first time now, it doesn’t really make much sense to me.

Steve and I have discussed swing mechanics somewhat extensively. He claims that he’s seen some swings that indicate Rodriguez was on a PED in the 2009 postseason – with the specifics of the swings being the evidence. Sounds like a worthwhile discussion, at least for Steve and I.

KPOcala wrote:
      You threw a rhetorical bone, you can do the looking.

What’s a ‘rhetorical bone’? I asked Steve a question about his post. It wasn’t rhetorical – I used the word ‘specifically.’

5. KPOcala
      December 31st, 2013 | 12:42 pm

jay wrote:

KPOcala wrote:
      You threw a rhetorical bone, you can do the looking.

MY bad, I had skimmed the article, and thought it was highlights of “The Season” v “Series”. And you posted beneath me so……… Never-mind.

6. December 31st, 2013 | 3:19 pm

jay wrote:

I’d be curious as to what swings/hits you are talking about, specifcally.

Don’t remember exactly. It was the homers against the Twins or Angels.

7. jay
      December 31st, 2013 | 4:32 pm

He hit 2 against the Twins and 3 against the Angels, so 5 total. All of the videos are online, so I looked at all of them. I don’t see any off the end of the bat. The one in game 2 of the ALCS was certainly a Yankee Stadium HR, which means it’s probably a double in most other parks.

I guess my conclusion here is that what you’ve alleged in this post is totally false. And it isn’t that it’s false because there’s no evidence to back up your claim, it’s that the evidence refutes your claim.

8. Mr. October
      January 2nd, 2014 | 9:55 am

jay wrote:

He hit 2 against the Twins and 3 against the Angels, so 5 total.

Rodriguez homered 5x in 62 PAs in the ’09 post-season (Games 2-3 of the ALDS, and Games 2-4 of the ALCS); he has only 13 for his entire post-season career (326 PAs).

The 9th inn. HR hit to the left of the 385 ft. sign in right-center field, and well into the back of the bullpen behind it, in Game 2 of the ALDS wasn’t off the end of the bat, but seemed to be toward the end of the bat a bit…

jay wrote:

The Game 2 HR Rodriguez hit before he was greeted with a high-five from Melky Cabrera in the dugout was a Yankee Stadium home run – without question, but also seemed to be toward the end of the bat a bit. I’ll have to watch all 5 HRs in super slow motion before I can agree, or disagree, with the young man.

9. January 2nd, 2014 | 11:12 am

Regardless of where the ball met the bat, A-Rod did things in the 2009 post-season that were just off the charts. See: http://waswatching.com/2010/12/18/a-rods-remarkable-2009-post-season/

Was it all him? I doubt it.

10. KPOcala
      January 2nd, 2014 | 6:12 pm

@ Steve L.:I watched most of the Yankee games that year on MLB.com. A-Rod hit some shots that looked like they were golf balls. I’ll call it the “golfball hit”, (maybe I’ll get ‘credited’ ;)) as the “look of a ball nobody “used” to hit. I’ve seen some “monster HRs over the years, and even more on film, but I can’t remember seeing balls take off like they have in the “PED Era”. In short, “THAT’S” how you know……. (not to been taken as 100%).

11. Mr. October
      January 15th, 2014 | 4:41 pm

jay wrote:

Mr. October wrote:

As a “rhetorical bone,” and having had an opportunity to watch all 5 home runs (although not in super slow motion), the ALCS Game 2 home run is the one that I found to be most questionable – coming off the bat, it didn’t look like it was going to carry, or should have carried, as far as it did.