• The A-Rod E-Mails

Posted by on December 30th, 2013 · Comments (9)

Steve Fishman shares some emails between Randy Levine and Alex Rodriguez. It’s must read material. How about this one:

July 30, 2012
    Rodriguez is out with an injury, having fractured his hand five days earlier when hit by a pitch. Levine makes a reference to performance-enhancing drugs that he later refers to as a “bad joke.”

Levine: How r u feeing since u left Robby [Cano] under 200, he needs some steroids fast!

If MLB has any cojones, at the least, they will fine Levine for making such a statement…even as a private joke.

Comments on The A-Rod E-Mails

1. redbug
      December 31st, 2013 | 12:12 pm

Levine does it again:

“August 21, 2012
      With A-Rod still out, Levine again makes a possibly comic drug reference.

Levine: Hey, what’s up with Robby. This guy must not be using the liquid.”

If taken at all seriously, it sounds like Levine is encouraging Arod to have a chat w/ Cano.

2. Corey
      December 31st, 2013 | 12:20 pm

E-mail is easily spoofed. You can pretend to be anyone, send it to anyone, set the origin date to be anytime you choose, and set the subject/contents to be whatever. I wouldn’t take anything out of so e-mails as fact.

3. McMillan
      December 31st, 2013 | 12:40 pm

This could be nothing more than a couple of jokes on Levine’s part based on conversations he’s had in the past with one of the Yankees’ two manchildren about steroid use in baseball, that’s all; it sounds as if Levine’s kidding around.

4. December 31st, 2013 | 12:50 pm

If I were in the front office of a MLB team, I would limit my interactions with my players to verbal form only. Anyone willing to share something, these days, that can be pulled, forwarded, reproduced, etc., is stupid.

5. PHMDen
      December 31st, 2013 | 2:28 pm

What about writing a letter of recommendation on Yankee letterhead for someone you’re having an extramarital affair with? How does that rank?

6. December 31st, 2013 | 2:59 pm

PHMDen wrote:

LOL. I had already forgotten about that one!

7. Mr. October
      December 31st, 2013 | 3:13 pm

PHMDen wrote:

At least Cashman was intelligent enough to have Louise call him “Steve” when the two of them were out on the town.

8. #15
      December 31st, 2013 | 3:46 pm

I have several hundred employees working for me. When someone does well, they’ll likely hear from me. When they do poorly, I’ll first talk to their supervisor/manager to make sure I have the facts. Depending on the situation/severity, I’ll leave it to the local supervisor/manager to deal with, or interject myself directly.

Seems to me Levine is playing “coach” in a somewhat ham-handed manner with his sugary “ataboys” to A-Rod. A pat on the back from someone up the chain, especially to an insecure Labrador Retriever that needs praise (and yes, I train hunting dogs) is always welcome; but, you really want your “players” responsive to your frontline managers, the people they have to deal with every day (for both praise and correction). Too often, “players” that perceive they have a pipeline directly to the top, especially those with lofty opinions of themselves, become hard to manage at the local level.

“No mam… PED humor is never funny.” That was flat out stupid on many levels. What an ass.

Except in rare situations where you have an older “player” mentoring a younger “player”, you shouldn’t be making negative comments about one player to another. Never, ever smart. Call in the problem player…. chat with them in private…. keep it that way.

You can see when Levine turns lawyerly on A-Rod… Starts parsing his words carefully and posturing with phrases like … “you know that’s not true”. He was creating distance between them, and a paper trail to prove it.

9. redbug
      December 31st, 2013 | 5:58 pm

@ #15:

I agree w/ all you wrote, #15. But, Levine is really stupid to “joke” about PEDs w/ someone who admitted he’d taken them in the past, and many who assumed he was still taking them.

And, knowing how that contract was going to haunt them as Arod got older, did he not realize he playing w/ fire?