• Maddux, Glavine, Big Hurt & Biggio

Posted by on January 2nd, 2014 · Comments (11)

If one of these does not get into Cooperstown next week, would you be upset?

Comments on Maddux, Glavine, Big Hurt & Biggio

1. Corey
      January 2nd, 2014 | 9:16 pm

Maddux and Thomas for me. I don’t see how they don’t get in, frankly.

2. January 2nd, 2014 | 11:14 pm

Maddux is a lock.
      Thomas maybe not.

3. Evan3457
      January 3rd, 2014 | 12:02 am

They’re all Hall of Famers to me.
      Biggio is the closest to being marginal, but 3000 hits. 7 of his 10 closest career comps are in the Hall, and Jeter will make it 8 of 10. That’s good enough for me.

4. Kamieniecki
      January 3rd, 2014 | 10:29 am

Corey wrote:

Maddux and Thomas for me.

Agreed. Glavine probably gets in as well.

5. #15
      January 3rd, 2014 | 11:26 am

I always thought Thomas was on the bubble in terms of HOF. Too one dimensional of a player for me.

Maddux and Glavine… Yes, for sure. Biggio gets in over the next couple of years and deserves it. Durable, versital, productive, consistent. Bagwell was great, great, great, for a while. Hit, hit for power, field (underrated), throw, run. He didn’t decline well between injuries and an all or nothing swing approach that caught up to him. Did he juice? Yeah, probably.

6. OldYanksFan
      January 3rd, 2014 | 1:40 pm

Biggio with a 112 OPS+, a negative dWar, and a 3.25 bWar/year for his career.
      That’s Hall of Very Good, maybe even excellent, but not Hall of Fame.
      In his last 6 years, he averaged below 1 bWar/yr.
      He hung on a long time, and accumulated some good counting stats.
      I just can’t call him a GREAT player.

7. Corey
      January 3rd, 2014 | 2:52 pm

@ OldYanksFan:
      agreed

8. Evan3457
      January 4th, 2014 | 2:39 am

It’s only in his last two seasons that Biggio truly was hanging on. He was a good player for the 4 years before that, not a great one, but still a good one (Average bWAR his age 36-39 seasons is 2.35, and that’s still a good player. He scored 100+ runs in two of those seasons, 90+ in the other two). Lots of great players decline at that age, including Hall of Famers.

9. Kamieniecki
      January 4th, 2014 | 8:23 am

#15 wrote:

Too one dimensional of a player for me.

Agreed. But I think The Big Hurt will get in.

What future Hall of Famers has Brian Cashman, son of Harness Racing Hall of Fame legend and George M. Steinbrenner business partner, John Cashman, drafted?

10. Kamieniecki
      January 4th, 2014 | 8:29 am

OldYanksFan wrote:

Biggio with a 112 OPS+, a negative dWar, and a 3.25 bWar/year for his career.
      That’s Hall of Very Good, maybe even excellent, but not Hall of Fame.
      In his last 6 years, he averaged below 1 bWar/yr.
      He hung on a long time, and accumulated some good counting stats.
      I just can’t call him a GREAT player.

Agreed.

11. McMillan
      January 4th, 2014 | 9:45 am

Kamieniecki wrote:

Cashman might need another 17 years.

Wallace Matthews would like to see Biggio in Cooperstown:

“… Biggio played for 20 years, rolled up 3,060 hits, and while his other numbers come up slightly short, longevity and durability are talents that deserve to be recognized, too.”