Via the Daily News -
Alex Rodriguez will seek an injunction staying his suspension faster than it takes to turn a double play if arbitrator Fredric Horowitz upholds his 211-game doping ban or doesn’t slash it to A-Rod’s liking, sources familiar with the embattled slugger’s appeal have told the Daily News.
The sources say they believe Rodriguez’s attorneys will ask a judge to issue an injunction that would allow the embattled superstar to report to the Yankees’ spring training camp next month and play when the 2014 season begins while Team A-Rod attempts to have the suspension linked to the Biogenesis drug scandal overturned in court.
“The papers are all ready,” one source said. “They are just waiting for the announcement.”
Rodriguez’s lawyers will likely claim that the unprecedented suspension violates federal labor law because the arbitration process was unfair and biased against A-Rod.
Rodriguez and his advisers have been setting the table for this legal battle since last spring, alleging in interviews and in the lawsuit they filed against Major League Baseball on Oct. 3 that commissioner Bud Selig unjustly targeted the Yankees’ third baseman and that MLB investigators used unethical and illegal tactics to gather evidence to justify the ban.
Rodriguez attorney Joe Tacopina famously stated last year that his client does not deserve to be suspended for “one inning,” but the sources say the Yankee third baseman would likely accept a suspension of 65 games or less without a fight. The legal fees to combat a 65-game ban would likely cost Rodriguez, who is scheduled to earn $25 million in 2014, more than he would lose in salary.
A-Rod in Yankees camp? A-Rod playing with the team this year? Oh, what a mess that would be…