• Really?

Posted by on February 3rd, 2014 · Comments (8)

Doing the Yankees SportsSpyder thing this AM, I saw these two blog headlines:

• The Yankees And Fernando Rodney: A Match Made In Necessity
    • New York Yankees Must Trade For Emilio Bonifacio

Is this what it’s come down to in Yankeeland? Really?

Fernando Rodney and Emilio Bonifacio?

I guess Armando Benítez and Luis Castillo are not available…

Comments on Really?

1. #15
      February 3rd, 2014 | 11:39 am

We should have grabbed Balfour right after the O’s jumped ship and the market was soft.

2. Greg H.
      February 3rd, 2014 | 3:31 pm

Meh, it’s that time of the pre-season. Although if they’re going to do something at Rodney’s salary level, I’d rather they spend it on someone without the ridiculous gestures. Bonifacio, why not if it doesn’t cost much.

3. ahrmon
      February 3rd, 2014 | 3:41 pm

My god, Steve, this negativity is relentless. What would it take for you to even show a glimmer of optimism?

4. Evan3457
      February 3rd, 2014 | 4:03 pm

Greg H. wrote:

Agreed. Bonifacio has been + in the WAR every he’s gotten substantial playing time except for 2009, and has played at least 28 games at every fielding position except for 1st base and catcher.

5. MJ Recanati
      February 3rd, 2014 | 6:29 pm

#15 wrote:

Agreed.

6. Greg H.
      February 3rd, 2014 | 11:21 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      2/12 is ok for Balfour unless there is something wrong with his arm, of course. The Nats paid to find out.

February 4th, 2014 | 8:27 am

#15 wrote:

Was? I’d say the market still is. I can’t imagine Rodney would sign a contract substantially less than what Balfour or Benoit got from their teams.

I’m indifferent to Rodney. Bonifacio would fit in the sense that he would fill the supersub role that they tried to fill with Nuñez. With Roberts and Jeter, I would imagine the Yanks would like to have as many backup options as possible.

8. #15
      February 4th, 2014 | 4:13 pm

@ Raf:
      I was talking about the “soft” market for Balfour, specifically. Might have been able to get him for a one year plus a vesting option with the way the O’s handled the situation if we’d jumped in quickly.