• Carl Crawford & Jacoby Ellsbury

Posted by on February 4th, 2014 · Comments (7)

Remember, around the end of 2010, when there were so many Yankees fans out there who thought it was a must/given that the Yankees would sign Carl Crawford?

Good thing that didn’t happen, eh?

Let’s just hope that Jacoby Ellsbury doesn’t follow the path Crawford went after he signed his big deal.

Related, did you know that Ellsbury has played 4 seasons in the majors where he was able to play 130+ games? And, he had an OPS+ better than 100 in only two of those four seasons.

The Yankees really threw a lot of money at this guy, didn’t they?

Comments on Carl Crawford & Jacoby Ellsbury

1. ahrmon
      February 4th, 2014 | 1:08 pm

For god’s sake, someone get Steve a cookie. The dude needs cheering up.

2. KPOcala
      February 4th, 2014 | 1:22 pm

Well, look at the good side. Ellsbury doesn’t have very many innings in his knees ;)

3. #15
      February 4th, 2014 | 2:09 pm

Don’t think it was any surprise when Crawford wilted in his first exposure to bright lights. Ellsbury has been in the spotlight and done well. Don’t see the comparison, really.

I was against pursuing Crawford at the time, because I thought we already had a reasonable facsimile in Gardner, for a fraction of the cost. I’m looking forward to, perhaps with rose-colored glasses, the Go-Go Yankees… with plus speed, on base often, plus some thumpers sprinkled through the line-up. Stay healthy and we’ll be very competitive.

4. Greg H.
      February 4th, 2014 | 2:44 pm

#15 wrote:

Well put. I’m on this list too. Ellsbury was a pest of the first order with Boston, just like Damon. I compare this move more to Damon than Crawford. Plus I’m a fan of OF defense, it’s fun to watch. I read somewhere that “Gardner, Ellsbury and a potted plant” would be close to the best OF defense in the league. Lol With Ichiro or Almonte as a late inning defensive replacement, not much will be dropping. .

5. KPOcala
      February 4th, 2014 | 8:36 pm

@ #15:3 big defensive holes in the infield. If they don’t sign Drew, they’ll not make the playoffs, unless. Unless, everyone on the pitching staff pitches to their “potential”, if there is an unforeseen player going “super-nova” in the minors, and in effect, carry the team. If Cashman makes one hell of a mid-season trade, which would require a lot of minor leaugers making quantum jumps in their play. It’s just too hard to imagine them going far with what they have. But everyone thought that Boston would be lucky to break .500 last year, even the “pundit gods” in August. So, it boils down to “who knows”, I’ll “buy” into them, because I’m a fan(atic). But my rational side keeps whispering poisoning thoughts into my fantasy :)

6. LMJ229
      February 5th, 2014 | 11:35 pm

I knew all I wanted to know about Crawford when he got thrown out to end the game trying to advance to third base on a tag up. When Posada said after the game that he was “surprised” Crawford tried to tag up on the play, Crawford went ballistic, saying Posada should “shut up and worry about his own team”.

Yeah, that was a guy who was ready for the bright lights of the big city. Ellsbury will not have that problem. In fact, I think he will thrive in NY, especially with that short porch in right.

February 6th, 2014 | 9:29 am

#15 wrote:

As was I. Then again, that’s never stopped the Yanks before.