• Kevin Long Lets Loose On Cano

Posted by on February 17th, 2014 · Comments (9)

Via John Harper -

Kevin Long considers Robinson Cano practically a son, they grew so close over the years in the Bronx. And that bond, forged during their countless sessions in the batting cage, allows him to speak frankly about the $240 million man who is now a Seattle Mariner.

That is, while Long couldn’t be prouder of what Cano accomplished as a Yankee, it bothers him that neither he nor anyone else could get through to the second baseman about his notorious lack of hustle, knowing it’s likely to tarnish his standing, especially with the fans.

“If somebody told me I was a dog,’’ Long said here Sunday, “I’d have to fix that. When you choose not to, you leave yourself open to taking heat, and that’s your fault. For whatever reason, Robbie chose not to.’’

Long was talking about Cano’s habit of not running hard to first base on routine ground balls, nothing else. And it was particularly frustrating for him because he helped Cano overcome his other bad habits over the years, centering around his nonchalant nature that once led Joe Girardi to bench him for lazy defense.

“He overcame so much while he was here,’’ Long said. “As a young kid there were holes everywhere. There were holes in his swing, in his makeup, in his body composition. This kid grew and grew and grew.

“All the other stuff … he’d take plays off in the field, he’d give away at-bats in RBI situations. He made a lot of personal decisions to get over the hump in those areas. People don’t know how hard he worked, how many times he was the one asking me to do extra work in the cage.’’

I won’t debate Cano’s dogging it at times. But, please, can someone get Kevin Long to shut up? He talks way too much…

Comments on Kevin Long Lets Loose On Cano

1. redbug
      February 17th, 2014 | 4:15 pm

Long is right in what he said about Cano not running to first, however I blame Girardi for allowing it to go on. He should’ve benched Cano a few times until he got the message.

Talking about it publically now makes Long look like an ass.

2. redbug
      February 17th, 2014 | 6:18 pm

Girardi is quoted on LoHuh as saying, “I have discussions with all of our players about how we expect them to play the game,” Girardi said. “Robbie was a guy that we ran out there every day and we expected him to be a leader and do certain things. We all know what happened in 2008 when I approached him.”

I don’t know what happened. Anyone here?

February 17th, 2014 | 8:06 pm

I see nothing wrong with what Kevin Long said.

redbug wrote:

I don’t know what happened. Anyone here?

Girardi benched Cano.

4. redbug
      February 18th, 2014 | 7:47 am

@ Raf:

I read he was benched for lack of aggressive defense, But, was he ver benched for not running to 1st?

5. Corey
      February 18th, 2014 | 8:46 am

@ redbug:
      All of 2008, Cano dogged it. And to make matters worse, he sucked on top of that. So finally at the end of the season (like game 149), Girardi benched him for not hustling to first. That actually made everyone nuts because they thought Cano shoulda been benched way earlier in the season.

6. redbug
      February 18th, 2014 | 1:08 pm

@ Corey:

And why not since??

7. Ben M.
      February 18th, 2014 | 3:26 pm

If I remember right, Cano’s benching finally came either because of or soon after a play where he nonchalantly let a slow grounder to his left roll all the way into right field, allowing a runner to score FROM SECOND late in a close game. It’s true; he’d already been dogging it all through Girardi’s first year as manager in 2008.

Kinda ironic when you figure: His dad named him “Robinson”, he wore a reversed “42″ on his back, and played the same position as Jackie. Don’t you think?

8. February 19th, 2014 | 2:17 pm