• Injuried & Aloof?

Posted by on March 17th, 2014 · Comments (7)

That’s not a good combo to have in Yankeeland, is it?

Via ESPN

Jacoby Ellsbury’s tight right calf felt “better” this morning, according to Joe Girardi, but the manager said his new centerfielder would probably not be ready to play by tomorrow when his old team, the Boston Red Sox, come to The Boss for an afternoon game.

“I hear he’s going to hit in the cage today, so I would think that’s going in the right direction,” Girardi said. “We’ll see how he feels and go from there.”

But when asked if Ellsbury might be ready to play on Tuesday, Girardi said, “My guess would be no.”

Ellsbury, who is not the chattiest sort of fellow, went through the clubhouse this morning without stopping to talk to reporters.

Comments on Injuried & Aloof?

1. redbug
      March 18th, 2014 | 6:01 pm

I’m not sure where “aloof” comes in. He didn’t talk much w/ reporters in Boston and it sounds like that’s not changing here. I think that’s a mistake in big markets.

2. Evan3457
      March 18th, 2014 | 8:22 pm

He spoke to everybody Sunday at length about the injury. If it’s a grade I calf strain, he’ll miss two weeks, and be ready for Opening Day.

3. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2014 | 10:49 am

redbug wrote:

I think that’s a mistake in big markets.

Didn’t seem to affect him too much in Boston so I don’t see why it would affect him in New York.

As long as that approach works for him, it’s not a big deal.

4. March 19th, 2014 | 11:38 am

I am sort of torn. (What else is new?)

Part of me thinks it’s wrong to be standoffish. But, part of me hates the Nick Swisher types. Somewhere in the middle is probably the sweet spot.

5. March 20th, 2014 | 11:40 pm

Today’s headline: Yankees send Jacoby Ellsbury for MRI of right calf

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140320/yankees-jacoby-ellsbury-mri/#ixzz2wZ5ted00

6. Evan3457
      March 21st, 2014 | 12:09 am

Steve L. wrote:

Today’s headline: Yankees send Jacoby Ellsbury for MRI of right calf

Tonight’s non-headline:

Yankees: Center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury underwent an MRI Thursday on his ailing right calf, and the exam showed no structural damage. Manager Joe Girardi said he is hopeful Ellsbury, who was scratched from Sunday’s game, could play again over the weekend. If not, then by Tuesday, after Monday’s off-day.

7. Mr. October
      March 22nd, 2014 | 6:55 pm

Yankees signed up for this Ellsbury injury uncertainty

“… No baseball player with such a history of injuries has received anything close to what the Yankees gave [Ellsbury]…

The positive spin on Ellsbury always has been that he didn’t suffer from chronic problems, but just experienced bad luck

It’s worth noting… that Ellsbury’s current ailment is an old-fashioned, wear-and-tear injury, and that anything involving his legs adds an extra layer of concern because of his speed.

Ellsbury has plenty of time to prove he can get on the field enough to justify his contract… he arrived with a track record that invites scrutiny, so much so that his absence from the lineup stood out immediately… That was no accident.”

Yankee fans shouldn’t be concerned: “..’I’m not worried about it,’ Yankees general manager Brian Cashman declared Friday…”