• Who Are These Yankees?

Posted by on March 19th, 2014 · Comments (11)

Brian McCann.  Brian Roberts.  Kelly Johnson.  Jacoby Ellsbury.  Carlos Beltran. Masahiro Tanaka.

They have all never played for the Yankees before – ever, anywhere in their organization – this season.

Tanaka, I think I can handle. The Yankees are always bringing in a new starting pitcher, or so it seems, due to Brian Cashman’s inability to make the right moves when it comes to pitching.

But, we see position players everyday. And, if Roberts sticks, it means the Yankees starting line-up will have FIVE new faces this year. That’s more than half.

As a fan, how long will it take to warm up to these guys? Or, at the least, how long until it doesn’t seem odd to watch them playing for the Yankees?

We know Teixeira, Jeter, Gardner and Soriano. These other dudes, not so much – in terms of seeing them in pinstripes. It’s going to be strange watching them on YES, seeing them on banners outside the Stadium, etc., no?

Comments on Who Are These Yankees?

1. NC Yankee
      March 19th, 2014 | 8:31 am

I’ve already “warmed up” to them….it’s part of being a Yankees fan. They bring in new pieces every year.

2. March 19th, 2014 | 11:36 am

NC Yankee wrote:

When was the last time they had THIS MANY new position players to start the year?

3. lardin
      March 19th, 2014 | 12:00 pm

To quote Herb Brooks: “The name on the front of the uniform means a hell of a lot more then name on the back”

4. NC Yankee
      March 19th, 2014 | 1:10 pm

lardin wrote:

Absolutely!!

5. redbug
      March 19th, 2014 | 5:46 pm

I always liked Brian Roberts. So, here’s hoping he can stay healthy and have a productive year.

As to the others…I’ll probably like McCann pretty quickly. I’ve read only good things about him.

If Tanaka is all he’s cracked up to be, maybe quickly.

I didn’t like Ellsbury as a Red Sox. So, maybe never.

6. Corey
      March 19th, 2014 | 7:27 pm

I’m on the same page Steve. I feel like I’m rooting for a fantasy team.

7. Corey
      March 19th, 2014 | 7:29 pm

redbug wrote:

As to the others…I’ll probably like McCann pretty quickly.

Same. He plays with the same toughness that Posada had.

8. March 19th, 2014 | 7:38 pm

Corey wrote:

I’m on the same page Steve. I feel like I’m rooting for a fantasy team.

It’s just weird to see some of these guys in Yankees uniforms. I still can’t get used to seeing Carlos Beltran as a Yankee. But, I assume it will come in time. Eventually, Straw and Gooden looked like Yankees, and not just Mets dressed in Yankees uniforms.

9. Scout
      March 20th, 2014 | 7:59 am

Last year’s team should have won about 78 games. Would you prefer continuity and losing? I wouldn’t.

10. redbug
      March 20th, 2014 | 5:53 pm

Beltran has wanted to be a Yankee for quite some time. I like that.

I never warmed up to Strawberry or Gooden. But, I loved David Cone.

11. Mr. October
      March 20th, 2014 | 7:22 pm

Beltran should have been a Yankee for quite some time: 2005-present; or at least, 2012-present.