• It’s Still 15 Seconds Too Much

Posted by on March 25th, 2014 · Comments (6)

MLB: Only 15 seconds of intro music allowed in 2014.

To this day, I still amazed that Mickey Mantle was ever able to hit a homerun without the aid of intro music!

Duh.

Comments on It’s Still 15 Seconds Too Much

1. March 25th, 2014 | 10:23 pm

I have this vision of you in an old white bathrobe, black socks, bending over for your newspaper on the front stoop, taking time only to angrily shake your fist at the neighbor kid who strayed a little too close to your finely-manicured lawn.

Admit it, intro music is cool when it’s something you enjoy – Paul O’Neill walking up to “Baba O’Riley” was one of the elements I’ll always remember from the dynasty years. “Enter Sandman” came out my senior year of high school and has *always* made my arm hair stand on end when it’s come blaring out of the Stadium speakers.

That all said, most of the players now are all upwards of 20 years younger than you or I, and the music coming out of those Stadium speakers is more noise than the older crowd can stomach.

Like Pineda’s hat and gold chain, it’s a part of the game now. All I demand is that someone who wears their hat crooked get outs, and someone who walks to the plate to an obnoxiously loud intro song should get on base.

Maybe if the team was winning more, you could look past all the flash? After all, how silly does the YMCA in the 7th look now with the team out of playoff contention by the middle of August…? 15 years ago we couldn’t get enough.

2. March 26th, 2014 | 6:59 am

@ Pete:
      Think Clint Eastwood in Trouble with the Curve. That’s more like where I am now. Or, at least the way I feel :-)

3. March 26th, 2014 | 10:15 am

Steve L. wrote:

@ Pete:

Just don’t venture into “Gran Torino” territory.

4. Corey
      March 26th, 2014 | 12:46 pm

I for one like the intro music (And I don’t even like most of the choices players make).

I think we can safely get rid of YMCA/cotton eye joe and that kind of nonsense, though.

March 26th, 2014 | 1:12 pm

I’ve accepted intro music, and between inning “entertainment.” It isn’t going anywhere and the fans are into it and the players are on board with it.

Not sure what MLB’s problem is. If they wanted to speed up the game, they can have umpires call a larger strike zone and shorten the breaks between half innings.

6. Mr. October
      March 26th, 2014 | 8:02 pm

Raf wrote:

[Intro music] isn’t going anywhere and the fans are into it and the players are on board with it.

@ Raf:
      I agree: don’t touch the “intro music;” screw around with the strike zone instead…