• Yanks Win 13 Of First 22 Games

Posted by on April 25th, 2014 · Comments (8)

You can’t ask for a better start, can you? Third best record in their league. Only 4 teams in baseball have more wins.

Personally, I am amazed. And, I am not 100% sure how they are doing it.

In any event, there are three roads from here:

1. Continue at this pace and win 90+ games this season.
    2. Do even better and win closer to 100 games when it’s all done.
    3. Regress and win less than 90 games, overall, despite the good start.

Which way to you think this team will go?

Comments on Yanks Win 13 Of First 22 Games

1. April 25th, 2014 | 7:25 am

One thing to consider, while the Yankees are 13-9, the Mets are 12-10. That’s just a one game difference. And, does anything think the Mets are good?

2. Greg H.
      April 25th, 2014 | 9:57 am

More important than the Mets, the division is not as strong as prior years.

3. #15
      April 25th, 2014 | 10:51 am

I think #1 is the most likely. It will be very hard for anyone to win close to 100 games in this division. From what I’ve seen so far in the AL East…. Boston is in trouble, Tampa lost two pitchers for long stretches and their hitting is erratic (they could become a seller at some point), and Toronto is flawed. Keep an eye on B’More.

Last night, Ortiz gets plunked on the thigh in the first inning and goes on to fly out to medium depth centerfield (sac fly) and strike out before taking a seat. Hmmmmm? Why didn’t I think of that?

4. redbug
      April 25th, 2014 | 11:03 am

@ #15:

I thought of your post before the game, #15, about plunking Ortiz. CC was great w/ his “gee, I didn’t mean to do that” face. Besides needing to move Ortiz from hanging over the plate, I was glad to see it because he’s the one who told Farrell about Pineda’s pine tar.

Re Steve’s question, I think they have a chance at 90+. Their offense is very good. I’m a little iffy because Nova is gone for the season, and I hope this pine tar incident doesn’t mess w/ Pineda’s head.

5. #15
      April 25th, 2014 | 12:29 pm

@ redbug:
      We may need to find a supplemental bullpen arm along the way, but some mix of Phelps, Warren & Nuno should cover Nova’s absence reasonably well. Better options than a lot of other teams that lose a “#3″ (not really).

6. Mr. October
      April 25th, 2014 | 3:33 pm

The $164 million Boston Red Sox and the $77 million Tampa Bay Rays don’t appear to be the teams they were in 2013 – that fact hasn’t hurt the $211 million Team Cashman. It remains to be seen, however, how well Brian Cashman’s $23 million “no. 1 starter” continues to re-invent himself and how well both Sabathia and Cashman’s 39-year old no. 2 starting pitcher perform from August – October… along with all of the other question marks on this “championship-caliber team,” including La Brea Pineda and the $175 million ROY candidate…

7. #15
      April 25th, 2014 | 3:59 pm

@ Mr. October:
      Don’t forget Solarte in the ROY conversation. He busted out of a mini-slump in fine fashion last night. He’s a competent 3rd bagger too.

8. Mr. October
      April 25th, 2014 | 5:21 pm

@ #15:
      I haven’t seen that much of him, but he looked great when I “was watching…”