• Darling: Mets Disconnected From Fans

Posted by on May 7th, 2014 · Comments (13)

Via WFAN -

Ron Darling says he has nobody to blame but himself for putting his name on a widely panned letter from the New York Mets to “True New Yorkers.”

The SNY analyst was one of 10 former Mets players to sign the email asking fans to pledge their support head of this month’s Subway Series.

The letter wasn’t received well, with some calling it “dopey,” “beyond insulting” and “disgraceful.”

“I’ll tell you it this way, because if I explain completely how it went, I’m throwing someone else under the bus,” Darling said Wednesday on WFAN’s “Joe & Evan” show. “I was asked to put my likeness and name to something. I did not read what was going to be put out there. And I think for me to criticize it and to go after it, I’m going to put someone else in harm’s way. So I think I should just put myself in harm’s way.

“I didn’t do my due diligence to read what went out.”

Darling said he first found out about the letter while out to lunch in Philadelphia with SNY play-by-play man Gary Cohen, who received the email and read it aloud.

“It’s on me. It’s not on anyone else,” Darling said. “I put my name on it. I put my likeness on it. I have to live with it.”

The 53-year-old said things were different during the glory days of the mid-80s, when every move the franchise made was applauded. It feels like the polar opposite now, which Darling said should make the Mets re-think how they connect with fans.

“What is happened now — and I’m not saying it’s rightfully so — but it seems like everything that comes out from the Mets is looked at poorly” said Darling, who acknowledged that turning it around starts with spending and winning.

“When you’re looking at something where you feel like you’re Charlie Brown and Lucy keeps taking the ball out, and you keep kicking because you’re such die-hards, I just think that there has to be a re-evaluation of the disconnect and how to reconnect to how (fans) feel and what (the team) is trying to do,” Darling said. “And I think that’s an obvious thing.”

If Darling takes any hate from this, then I hope YES steps in and gives him a contact. He is the best at what he does and it would be a dream to hear him cover the Yankees.

Comments on Darling: Mets Disconnected From Fans

1. redbug
      May 7th, 2014 | 5:44 pm

He didn’t have the guts to say it was stupid though.

2. May 8th, 2014 | 12:27 am

The Mets are the worse run franchise in baseball, hell maybe in sports. The potential of this team with the right ownership is almost unlimited. The Yankees should hold a Fred Wilpon appreciation day every year, he’s the best thing the Yanks have going for them.

3. May 8th, 2014 | 8:56 am

redbug wrote:

He didn’t have the guts to say it was stupid though.

If he did, then he would be throwing the guy who set it up under the bus – and, he said that would be unfair, because he did agree to sign it. He said his mistake was not reading it first.

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Good point – having the Mets be a mess makes it easier for Cashman and his crew.

May 8th, 2014 | 12:02 pm

@ Joseph Maloney:
      Can’t say the Mets are run worse than the Marlins or the Knicks.

@ Steve L.:
      I’m sure NY’ers are capable of multitasking or having more than one concern. The things they do, the missteps they make, have little to no impact on the Yankees.

The letter was a good idea, with poor execution. If you look at their history, the Mets have always attempted to do things to include their fans, to have them in their corner.

5. Mr. October
      May 8th, 2014 | 12:58 pm

Raf wrote:

The things [the Mets] do, the missteps they make, have little to no impact on the Yankees.

If the New York Metropolitans had won two, three, or more N.L. pennants since 2005, or the dawn of The Cashman Autonomy Era, spending only $100-75 million on payroll each season, it might have had more than a little impact on the employment status of certain New York Yankees executives and officials…

May 8th, 2014 | 2:06 pm

@ Mr. October:
      Or, it might not. The Yankee organization as a whole isn’t as hypersensitive as a certain subsection of Yankees fans.

7. Mr. October
      May 8th, 2014 | 6:18 pm

Raf wrote:

I believe that if the Mets had won more League Championships in The Cashman Autonomy Era than Team Cashman, as Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, Texas, San Francisco, St. Louis, etc. all have, it might have had more than a little impact on the status of certain executive and officials, esp. if Mr. Steinbrenner had remained in better health and had lived for a few more years…

With Harvey, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Niese, Gee, Montero, deGrom, etc., the Mets have a foundation for teams that can be competitive well into the postseason from 2015-18 and beyond. And with some winning seasons and one or two N.L. pennants in Flushing and nothing won in The Bronx ownership might decide it’s time for a “promotion,” or reassignment within the organization, for John Cashman Jr.’s son, Brian:

One can always hope… Is Cashman still driving that 2009 Toyota Highlander?

8. May 8th, 2014 | 7:02 pm

@ Raf:
      Raf wrote:

@ Joseph Maloney:
      Can’t say the Mets are run worse than the Marlins or the Knicks.

Well on the field with the Mets having a 30 year head start both teams have been World Champs twice. In addition to that, the upside for the Mets in the largest market in the country is off the charts. Take a look at their attendance numbers in the mid80′s, that wasn’t a Yankee cap Billy Crystal was wearing in City Slickers. New York was once a huge National League market, this is an opportunity like none other in sports.

The Knicks are poorly run that is for sure, but for a variety of reasons it is still a better run business than the Mets.

May 10th, 2014 | 11:29 am

Mr. October wrote:

Is Cashman still driving that 2009 Toyota Highlander?

Don’t know, don’t care. Ask Steve, he’s the one who has the obsession with the minutiae of Cashman’s life.

10. Mr. October
      May 10th, 2014 | 12:54 pm

@ Raf:
      I wonder what the highest number of vehicles registered to the New York Yankees, and driven by soccer moms having affairs of up to several years with Brian Cashman, on the road in the Tri-State area at one time has been since 1998?

11. LMJ229
      May 12th, 2014 | 11:13 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Cashman’s incompetence, coupled with some promising young pitching for the Mets, is sure to make NY a national league town once again. We are headed back to the 80′s my friends.

May 13th, 2014 | 1:04 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

We are headed back to the 80′s my friends.

I’ll believe it when I see it. I remember hearing similar chirping when the Mets landed Saberhagen and Bonilla. Also remember hearing it when the pitchers of “Generation K” were making their way through the system.

Didn’t turn out too well, from what I remember.

13. Mr. October
      May 13th, 2014 | 1:54 pm

Raf wrote:

… Didn’t turn out too well [for “Generation K”], from what I remember.

It didn’t turn out too well for Cashman’s “Killer ‘B’s” (i.e. Bresnan, Brennan, etc.), from what I remember… “Generation ‘K’” consisted of only three (3) individuals: Pulsipher, Isringhausen, and Wilson – and Isringhausen didn’t have a bad career.