• Yankees Gave Out A Bunch Of Bats Today…

Posted by on June 1st, 2014 · Comments (11)

…they should have kept some for themselves.  Well, that, and, they should have prayed for rain after 8 innings.

I was at this one today.

Other than getting some nice seats cheap on StubHub, having my son get a free bat, not much positive to say about the trip.

When I saw the line-up, I thought “This is a major league team?”  I got my answer once they started playing.

Comments on Yankees Gave Out A Bunch Of Bats Today…

1. redbug
      June 1st, 2014 | 10:48 pm

Well, the good news is that the seats still keep getting cheaper.

Steve, do you still have seaon tix?

2. June 1st, 2014 | 11:47 pm

@ redbug:
      Nope. I gave them up this season. I had them for 13 years. My kids were bummed. But, I couldn’t afford to buy that many tickets, at that cost, and not be able to resell them at cost – for the games I could not make.

In the past, it was no problem. The tickets were not that costly, and, demand was high – so, if I had a game that I could not make, I could sell them AT COST and get my money back.

But, the last few years, it got harder and harder. No one wanted to buy tickets. And, if they did, they didn’t want them at face value.

When I started my account, back in 2001, the seats were like $37 each. And, by last year, it was $80 per seat (same location, all these years, both stadiums). My plan was two seats. And, I can’t afford to eat $160 each time I couldn’t make a game.

Now, I am like the rest of the world – I buy them off StubHub – for when I want to go.

3. LMJ229
      June 2nd, 2014 | 12:39 am

This line-up is pathetic. Can somebody please tell me – who scares you in this line-up?

4. LMJ229
      June 2nd, 2014 | 12:48 am

@ Steve L.:
      Welcome to the club. I had season tickets for 15 years before I finally gave them up. Now I purchase my tickets off StubHub just like you and everyone else. I don’t know how much the Yankees rely on ticket sales as a revenue stream but I gotta believe they are hurting in that department. And how long before the Yankees ownership starts cutting back on the payroll as a result? know a ton of people like you and I who have given up our season tickets. And once you give up the tickets it’s very hard to go back.

5. LMJ229
      June 2nd, 2014 | 1:06 am

Cashman’s incompetency has completely decimated this team. His inability to develop young talent within the organization and his never-ending practice of overpaying veteran players with long injury histories who are well past their prime has turned the Yankees into a laughingstock. How does the man keep his job?!

6. June 2nd, 2014 | 7:26 am

LMJ229 wrote:

The only ones who should be scared are yankees fans.

7. June 2nd, 2014 | 7:27 am

LMJ229 wrote:

LOL. You asking me?

8. June 2nd, 2014 | 7:31 am

LMJ229 wrote:

It was Bat Day yesterday. They said the crowd was 42K and change. I doubt it. At best, it was 37K. I was in the upper deck – first row in section 425. And, the ENTIRE row of seats behind me was empty for the entire game. Also, unless I missed it during a 3rd inning ice cream run, they NEVER asked the fans to hold up their bats for a Stadium picture…probably because they didn’t want to be embarrassed by all the empty seats.

9. Mr. October
      June 2nd, 2014 | 7:49 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Can somebody please tell me – who scares you in this line-up?

“… There is nobody in this Yankee lineup who scares anyone, especially with the longball from the left side in Yankee Stadium’s bandbox right field…”

@ LMJ229:
      There’s your answer…

Continued:

“… No doubt, Brian Cashman felt he’d at the very least neutralized the loss of Cano with his signings of Beltran and McCann… But for some reason, he never took into account the loss of Teixeira nearly all of last season with wrist surgery and the unlikelihood that, at 34, he would be able to come back as the same 100-RBI middle-of-the-order hitter he’d been while giving the Yankees 150-plus games at first base… for reasons never explained other than he ran out of money, Cashman never secured a backup first baseman, passing on, among others, Mark Reynolds, admittedly a strikeout machine but who nevertheless has 12 homers and 25 RBI for the Milwaukee Brewers.

Girardi can say all he wants about the players he has needing to step it up, but we’re talking about Solarte, Johnson, Almonte and even… Soriano… These are not hitters who are going to scare anyone. Nor is Russ Canzler, the retread, nonroster first baseman at Triple-A Scranton whom Cashman has been enamored with…”

June 2nd, 2014 | 8:59 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

“We consider [The Yankees] a smart organization… [W]e do think they’re a progressive organization. Way more than people think.” – Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow

“I think he sort of gets penalized many times, in a sense, because of the payroll people take for granted all the success he has accomplished. It is not that easy. I always kid him. It is a shame that he hasn’t been the executive of the year. Many times he probably deserves it.” – Athletics general manager Billy Beane

Laughingstock? Hardly.

June 2nd, 2014 | 9:09 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

They’re not hurting. They can lower prices if they wanted, that they choose not to tells me that they’re fine with the attendance situation.

Yanks aren’t going to cut payroll due to ticket prices.

They may cut payroll if YES Network loses money, or if television money otherwise dries up, but that isn’t likely.

Steve L. wrote:

The empty moat behind home plate has been prominently visible since the Stadium opened in 2009. I don’t think the powers that be care.