• Since April 18th, The Yankees Are 19-20

Posted by on June 2nd, 2014 · Comments (24)

Worse, overall this season, they are 20-24 in games NOT started by Masahiro Tanaka.

They really stink this year.

Comments on Since April 18th, The Yankees Are 19-20

1. Scout
      June 2nd, 2014 | 7:51 am

I would call them mediocre, but we’re splitting hairs. If they were spending MY $200 million, I would demand a refund.

2. June 2nd, 2014 | 8:32 am

You know the Yankees are really going bad when the “regulars” here who like to comment often telling me what an idiot I am stop showing up…or, at the least, are still peeking in but won’t comment any more… :-)

I suspect it’s more of the former, per the site stats. We were pretty steady at a number/rate for Jan, Feb, March, and April. And, for May, the number dropped…by a lot.

Tells you that Yankees fans are checking out and/or don’t want to talk about this team.

3. Scout
      June 2nd, 2014 | 9:48 am

When 60% of your starting rotation is named Phelps, Whitley, and Nuno, there just isn’t a lot to say. And the infield…oh, the infield.

4. MJ Recanati
      June 2nd, 2014 | 9:58 am

Steve L. wrote:

Only speaking for myself, I no longer comment regularly because the trolling on the site really ruined what was once a great atmosphere.

5. Mr. October
      June 2nd, 2014 | 11:58 am

Steve L. wrote:

Worse, overall in the first half of this first season, Masahiro Tanaka is 0-1 in games NOT started against teams which have NOT faced him…

6. LMJ229
      June 2nd, 2014 | 12:43 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I wouldn’t say trolling is an issue on this site. Yes, there are a couple of visitors who probably could be termed as such but I think they are better recognized as overly passionate and overly stubborn when it comes to certain topics and they get diarrhea of the mouth as a result (I’m not sure that’s an accurate visual when you are typing your comments!) When that happens, I just don’t read their posts.

At any rate, I for one miss the opposing views. I love hearing from the more optimistic posters – I actually come here to try and gain hope when things are going bad! It’s hard to be hopeful with this team.

7. matt
      June 2nd, 2014 | 1:55 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

MJ Recanati wrote:

Possibly, but it seems some people are more obsessed with Brian Cashman’s personal life than anything to do with the team.

8. Greg H.
      June 2nd, 2014 | 2:34 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Well, since you brought it up, I’ve been around this site for a pretty long while. I come in now out of habit, and hoping to see a post or two from some of the older contributors – one that’s not about Brian Cashman, and even more fantastically, where there are no trolls present in the thread.

Personally, I really like WW. But it’s not that I post less because the Yanks are doing poorly per se. I post less for the following reasons:

1) I choose not to respond to or engage with the troll(s). So as soon as a thread is taken over by a troll whose sole purpose is to antagonize and turn every thread into a base attack on the GM, I’m usually done with that thread. Given that a troll is busy responding multiple times to most every thread here now, this explains most of my own silence.

2) When the Yanks are playing poorly, the tone of many posts is one of vindication (“see I told you the team sucks”). This is not appealing for me. I really don’t care that much to assign blame or in any way celebrate the Yanks poor performance as a means to proving a point or vindicating anything. Plus any poor streak is immediately an open-season on blaming and attacking the front office as being responsible for the ills of the world. Hence mostly silence when the Yanks play poorly.

As long as you are running numbers, it would be interesting to know the troll’s effect on posting. What percentage of total posts these days belong to the troll? What percentage of the content is a statement about the GM or Front Office?

As far as posting goes, whether the Yanks win or lose is less relevant (to me) than the content, tone and quality of the discussion. To read the same schpiel over and over about Cashman, or about how badly the Yanks suck and it’s all Cashman’s fault – it’s not that interesting or engaging.

I think you would find that absent these two scenarios, people would feel like posting more often.

9. #15
      June 2nd, 2014 | 2:40 pm

Scout wrote:

Those guys really haven’t been our problem. Our ineffectiveness at the dish makes us boring to watch and, too often, losers to teams we should be beating.

10. Mr. October
      June 2nd, 2014 | 2:59 pm

#15 wrote:

[Phelps, Whitley, and Nuno] really haven’t been our problem. Our ineffectiveness at the dish…

Agreed. The problem has been an offense that was upgraded at a cost of more than $300 million in the 2013-14 offseason. How much better than 19-20 would this team have been since April 18th with a pitcher who is 17-17 since March, 2013 for the same team? Or with Latin American Idle not on the D.L. and in the no. 5 spot in the rotation instead of Phelps or Whitley?

11. Mr. October
      June 2nd, 2014 | 3:03 pm

matt wrote:

Those people mean well.

12. MJ Recanati
      June 2nd, 2014 | 3:32 pm

@ Greg H.:
      You expressed it perfectly.

13. Evan3457
      June 2nd, 2014 | 5:17 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Actually, I’ve been posting when I can. I was going to post something about the Yanks taking 2 of 3 from the Cards, and thus having a winning record against most of the good teams they’ve already played, but 1) that’s declaring victory way too early, and 2) they haven’t play Detroit or Oakland yet.

I’ve been busier than usual for about the past month, so I haven’t even checked the site every day. First we had to get the grades for the 2nd marking period done. Then we all had to do extra work for the city’s “quality review” that came in the middle of May. Then we had to start doing extra work to get ready for the first Common Core Algebra exam (which is tomorrow), both in student prep and prep for running the exam itself, and finally, we had to write and turn in our proposed final exams, which are being given next week.

In about two and a half weeks, I’ll have a lot more free time. I’ll just say this; declaring the offense deceased is premature, regardless of this weekend’s results.

14. Corey
      June 2nd, 2014 | 6:12 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

I actually come here to try and gain hope when things are going bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxJh6slAqXM&feature=kp :)

15. redbug
      June 2nd, 2014 | 6:12 pm

I don’t read the troll and wish that either he’d be removed from the site, or that he not be responded to by anyone. At least his many other names have been banned.

As far as repeatedly blaming Cashman…that’s getting old.

But, this site remains my favorite place to go Yankee related. While the Cashman stuff is getting old, I appreciate Steve’s insights.

16. Corey
      June 2nd, 2014 | 6:13 pm

matt wrote:

This is mostly why I don’t comment as much as I had in the past. I just don’t care about that kind of stuff and whenever you say anything about anything it always come back to that (or something similar enough).

17. Corey
      June 2nd, 2014 | 6:16 pm

#15 wrote:

That and the defense. I CAN’T WATCH THIS TEAM IN THE FIELD. IT DRIVES BE CRAZY (I know this is sometimes lost when reading internet chatter, but please read the lines in caps as my yelling. That’s how I intended).

18. Corey
      June 2nd, 2014 | 6:21 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

I hope you’ll have more time to watch the games cause, barring big trade, this statement is completely false. The weekends results are just the symptom.

This team had a bad offense last year, then their best offensive player left as a free agent and was replaced by injury prone players (one of which I think is vastly, vastly overrated).

June 2nd, 2014 | 8:34 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I’ve never called you an idiot, but my commenting has been sporadic since last summer. Chalk it up to work, travel, and the fact that I live in FL.

It’s June 2nd, the Yanks are in 2nd place behind the Jays (a team that’s finally healthy). Given the records of other teams around the league, I’m even less worried about the Yankees. I’m not going to panic nor throw in the towel just yet, not by a longshot. We’ve been through this every year since 2005, so it’s pretty old hat.

Can you imagine how things are over in Dodgertown?

20. cgehring
      June 2nd, 2014 | 8:41 pm

matt wrote:

That might be because Cashman’s personal life is more exciting than this team.

June 2nd, 2014 | 8:50 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

I wouldn’t say trolling is an issue on this site.

MJ Recanati wrote:

Greg H. wrote:

redbug wrote:

Corey wrote:

matt wrote:

@ LMJ229:
      You sure about that? :P

That said, I don’t see him being banned anytime soon, nor should he. Yes, the shtick is tired, corny and unfunny, but he fits in with the contrarian nature of the site. Besides, Evan is the only one that engages him on a regular basis, so there’s that too. Personally, I think those two should get a room… :P

The “Recent Comments” widget is a good way to tell which threads should be avoided. :)

22. Greg H.
      June 2nd, 2014 | 9:35 pm

Raf wrote:

Yes, how funny – I only noticed the Recent Comments Widget in the last year or so.

Corey wrote:

#15 wrote:

Corey – the infield defense. The OF has been okay. But the IF has been just plain unbelievably shitty. If they were all hitting it’s one thing, but they’re not right now, and it’s painful to watch.

23. Evan3457
      June 2nd, 2014 | 10:12 pm

Corey wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

I am watching the games, nearly all of them
      Of the 5 key hitters on this offense, Soriano has been in a coma for most of the season, but he’s always been streaky, Ellsbury slumped, probably because of a hand/wrist injury that he played through, Beltran and Tex have been hurt, and McCann has been chasing like crazy (walk rate way down). If they ever get the lineup they envisioned back together, it will improve significantly.

Will they ever get that lineup together? I dunno. When Beltran and Ellsbury were healthy (and Tex was out with the hamstring, the team was hitting well.

24. LMJ229
      June 4th, 2014 | 2:42 pm

Raf wrote:

@ LMJ229:
      You sure about that?

I don’t think one troll makes for a “trolling issue”. I do believe we are all talking about the same person. But I agree with you Raf, I don’t think he should be banned. When the posts get too long winded I just don’t read them. Ain’t nobody got time for dat! :)