• So, It’s 11:46 PM On June 3rd, And, I’m Sitting Here Watching The Yankees Game On TV…

Posted by on June 3rd, 2014 · Comments (10)

…and, the question is “Why?”

Comments on So, It’s 11:46 PM On June 3rd, And, I’m Sitting Here Watching The Yankees Game On TV…

1. EHawk
      June 4th, 2014 | 10:28 am

No the Question is why is Girardi not having Ryan bunt the entire AB with 1st and 2nd and no outs? Guess he thought a 1 run lead was enough? What’s the point of having Ryan even come to the plate if he isn’t going to Bunt…Bunt with 2 strikes…the guy is a .200 hitter with no power…he’s likely going to strike out anyway!

2. #15
      June 4th, 2014 | 1:32 pm

Got to agree; they are no fun the watch right now. Too many guys not playing up to their average abilities at the same time.

I think our pen is showing signs of getting gassed. If the bats don’t wake up soon, this will get ugly. K-Long has to fear those inter-office memo envelopes on his desk. One of ‘em could turn pink any day now.

3. LMJ229
      June 4th, 2014 | 2:51 pm

EHawk wrote:

Couldn’t agree more, makes absolutely no sense!

4. LMJ229
      June 4th, 2014 | 2:55 pm

This team is really hard to watch right now. No offense, terrible defense, and now the bullpen is letting us down when we need it most. This is just not a good team. And it’s even more shocking to consider that this is a $200 million team we are watching.

5. June 4th, 2014 | 3:24 pm

Come July, should they be sellers? Maybe try and unload some of those terrible contracts, get some prospects?

6. LMJ229
      June 4th, 2014 | 3:47 pm

You know, I place a lot of blame for the team’s failure on the General Manager and maybe that is not fair. The truth is, I don’t much care for Brian Cashman. I don’t think he ever deserved to be GM – I didn’t think he was well qualified when he was elevated to GM. He admitted that talent evaluation and development were not his strong points and he has done little to improve upon that shortcoming in the past 15 years. I believe he road the coat tails of his predecessors for his first 5 years in office and now we are seeing the fruits of his last 10 “autonomous” years.

That being said, I think those of us who don’t like the GM fail to consider the role the players play in the team’s failure. A line-up of Gardner, Jeter, Ellsbury, Beltran, Texiera, McCann, Soriano, Solarte, and Roberts is not a bad line-up. When the season started, I expected Ellsbury, Beltran, and McCann to make up for the loss of Cano, Granderson and A-Rod. I expected them all to hit for a decent average and to thrive at home with our short right porch. I didn’t know what to expect of Texiera (to me, this was by far Cashman’s biggest blunder, not having anyone to back-up Texiera) but I expected Jeter to bounce back and bat around .280-.290. I can’t stand Soriano because he is too much of an all-or-nothing player and he has a lot more “nothing” than “all”. As a matter of fact, I would play Ichiro in RF and use Kelly Johnson as the DH.

To me, our biggest issue coming into the season was our starting pitching and our bullpen. Both have been a (mostly) pleasant surprise so far, although it looks as if our bullpen is getting a little tired right now.

I’d say injuries, poor defense, lack of clutch hitting and hitting for power are our biggest culprits right now.

7. LMJ229
      June 4th, 2014 | 3:49 pm

Steve L. wrote:

If they continue to muddle on around .500 I’d say, yes, definitely, they should be sellers. But there are still 2 full months left before the deadline.

8. MJ Recanati
      June 4th, 2014 | 5:33 pm

Steve L. wrote:

They didn’t sell in 2008 or 2013 so why would 2014 be different? Moreover, sell what? Trading bullpen arms or guys who will be free agents won’t net big returns and trading guys on long term deals often involves sending money out the door. The Yankees aren’t built to be sellers.

9. Greg H.
      June 5th, 2014 | 12:50 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

The Yankees aren’t built to be sellers.

And why should they be sellers? They’re playing like dogshit and they’re still only a few games out of first.

10. Greg H.
      June 5th, 2014 | 12:53 pm

@ LMJ229:
      Pretty fair assessment. Injuries to 3 starters, the fill-ins haven’t been awful, but haven’t provided length. The infield defense has been just brutal. The lack of power and timely hitting also brutal. The latter 2 really should come back around. Any time now. Any time. Please.