• Can’t Tell The 2015 Players Without A Scorecard

Posted by on January 9th, 2015 · Comments (10)

As of today, here are your 2015 New York Yankees on Opening Day:

Andrew Miller
    Dellin Betances
    David Carpenter
    Adam Warren
    Justin Wilson
    Esmil Rogers or Gonzalez Germen

Girardi’s Binder may be the team MVP. There’s going to be a lot of mixing and matching required this season.

Seriously, of the 25/26 players listed above, I would NOT be shocked if 14 or 15 of them spend some time on the disabled list at one point or another during the season. Basically, the names have changed, somewhat. But, 2015 in Yankeeland is going to be a lot like 2014 – sans the Jeter Farewell Tour spin that the organization can use to sell the season.

Comments on Can’t Tell The 2015 Players Without A Scorecard

1. redbug
      January 10th, 2015 | 11:36 am

2015 will be worse. Arod will be back.

I’m looking at that list trying to find someone I like. They let my favorite from last year, David Robertson, leave. Jeter’s gone.

I like Pineda, Tanaka, CC. Maybe Ellsbury and McCann.

They didn’t show much heart last year (besides Jeter’s last game at the stadium). It’s hard to root for a team w/o players I like and generally boring games.

2. Evan3457
      January 10th, 2015 | 1:09 pm

It is a significantly better team, defensively, than the one they fielded to start last season. The bullpen is deeper, especially on the left side.

Whether or not they wind up better than last year hinges on the performances of McCann, Beltran, Tanaka, and Pineda. If all four play to the back of their baseball cards, and stay reasonably healthy, they’ll be in the race for the division title. Very big if.

3. #15
      January 12th, 2015 | 7:55 am

Best spin I can find is to say this team is now built for “versatility”.

I agree with Evan overall. Unless they know A-Rod is toast and wont make it ’til May, or Refsnyder/Pirela are all org chatter, I don’t get the Drew deal. Much rather see the rookies battle it out and find out what we’ve got in them. Keeping Ryan after signing Drew is a waste of a roster spot.

Hard to imagine the injuries could be as bad as the past two years. I haven’t added it up, but we must have gotten somewhat younger overall.

4. Greg H.
      January 12th, 2015 | 9:11 pm

I don’t mind the re-load, it’s overdue. Not sure I like the decision to bring back Drew, however. Ryan is pretty much the same player for less money. He’ll have a short leash, and Ryan is pretty much as good as gone. I do agree with the chatter that says Drew does not block either kid.

5. KPOcala
      January 17th, 2015 | 9:28 pm

Seriously? Yeah it could happen. Look at Texas the last couple of years, and they weren’t considered an “old team”. But they SHOULD go and get Scherzer to give the team depth and confidence. That, couple with the next two years having some seriously great talent that is expected to hit FA; they shed contracts, and some of those guys in the Minors HAS to pan out, right? George always said that it boiled down to putting asses in the seats, and “The Prince”, Levine, and Cashman better not forget that. Remember, the Indians, Twins and the Jays were huge money machines, until they weren’t. Oh, and look what happened to the Dodgers. It’s all nice to pontificate about the nuances, and brainy planning required to “do it all right”. But the common fan wants a winner. ‘Nuff said.

6. LMJ229
      March 1st, 2015 | 11:09 am

I don’t get the Drew signing at all. I’d rather have seen us go with Pirela if Refsnyder isn’t ready defensively at 2B. If they had their heart so set on signing Drew, why not sign him to play SS instead and keep Shane Greene who I think will be a solid pitcher. And really, if they didn’t trust Pirela or Refsnyder, they could have kept Prado to play second instead of trading him off for a guy who gave up the most hits in the NL last year(!) It will be interesting to see what combo is more productive: Drew (SS) Prado (2B) Greene (SP) or Gregorius (SS) Drew (2B) Eovaldi (SP). I don’t trust Gregorius or Eovaldi. I can easily see them both failing. I think the first combo is a safer bet. Sure hope I’m wrong!

7. LMJ229
      March 1st, 2015 | 11:32 am

Positives:
      No Brian Roberts
      No Alfonso Soriano
      No black hole at third (and second for that matter)
      Improved defense
      Possibly the best bullpen in baseball
      We actually have a legit back-up first baseman

Negatives:
      No Hiroki Kuroda (he was a beast for us last season after all)
      No Brandon McCarthy (he pitched tremendously for us last year)
      Unproven SS
      Too much reliance on old and injury prone players

The joke of it is that we went into last year with Brian Roberts at 2B, Soriano as our DH, Kelly Johnson at 3B, and no back-up 1B. Seriously, what was Cashman thinking?!

8. Evan3457
      March 3rd, 2015 | 1:39 am

LMJ229 wrote:

1. Pirela is even worse than Refsnyder defensively.
      2. They traded Greene to get a young shortstop, who immediately will be as good as Jeter was last season, if not better, and at a tiny fraction of the price.
      3. I liked Greene, too, but Eovaldi has just as much, if not more potential.
      4. The first combo might be the safer bet, but it’s the older bet, the more likely to decline bet, and much less likely to improve significantly. Do you know that Greene is 15 months older than Eovaldi?
      5. You know how you pull off a rip-off trade? You trade for players of high tools and raw abilities who might be currently undervalued; and to acquire them, you trade safe solid veterans of high reliability but low ceiling. Many of the best trades in baseball history are EXACTLY this type of trade. Can Gregorius flop? Sure he can. Can Eovaldi bust? Sure he can. But any trade worth anything is a gamble, and at least the Yankees are finally taking the right type of gambles in these trades. Another one is Cervelli for Wilson.

6. And then the Yanks ruined it all by committing a ridiculous, unforced blunder: not signing Moncada; letting him get away for perhaps $10 million more, when money is their chief asset against their competition.

Sometimes, I think nobody ever learns anything.

9. LMJ229
      March 5th, 2015 | 2:09 pm

@ Evan3457:
      I just don’t have a lot of faith in a guy who gave up the most hits in the NL last season and a SS who couldn’t win the starting job last year for the D-Backs. And I really liked Greene and Prado. I don’t think keeping Greene or Prado would have hurt the youth movement. Greene is only a year older than Eovaldi and Prado would still be a placeholder for Refsnyder, just like Drew is now.

And, as you pointed out so perfectly in point #6, if getting younger, high end talent was the priority, then how could they possibly have let Moncada walk? He could have been a true cornerstone for the youth movement. Sometimes I think this management has no clue – they are so penny wise and pound foolish. Moncada would have gone a long way towards building a nice young core. And it would have only cost us money. The Yankees print money for God’s sake!

10. Evan3457
      March 5th, 2015 | 7:32 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

@ Evan3457:

I have a little more hope for Gregorius than that. He’ll never be Jeter, not even close with the bat, but I think he’s a better hitter than he’s shown. He was a BA Top 100 prospect in 2012.

If they had stood pat, they’d have Prado and Greene, but they wouldn’t have a shortstop. They’d be over 30 at both 2nd and short.