• Yankees, Mets, No Excuses

Posted by on April 23rd, 2015 · Comments (8)

The Yankees have won 6 of their last 7 games.  The Mets have won their last 11 games in a row.  Neither team can claim that they’re presently riding a bad wave.  And, they face each other now on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

No truth to the rumor that the Yankees are going to invite Luis Castillo to throw out the first pitch on Friday.  But, I suspect that the 7-Line gang  is going to invade Yankee Stadium like never before…

The whole thing should make for some interesting sports talk radio in NYC on Monday morning.

Comments on Yankees, Mets, No Excuses

1. Evan3457
      April 23rd, 2015 | 9:07 pm

Mets have DeGrom, Harvey and Niese lined up. Yanks have Pineda, Sabathia and Eovaldi scheduled.

It should be interesting, to say the least. My only regret is the typical Saturday/Sunday night doubleheader Fox/ESPN murder/death/kill of the gamecalls.

2. #15
      April 25th, 2015 | 5:53 am

Okay… Fill in with your favorite…. “I know it’s early” comment here, but I’d say we’ve already played several games that were much more fun to watch than the boring, numbing, Yankees of 2013 and 2014. Some excellent pitching, aggressive base running, evolving but improved defense (Gardner’s arm in left a noticeable exception for some reason), and enough contact hitting and pop to make it interesting. There were so many games last year when just one hit out of Tex, Beltran or McCann was the difference. Improve just one of those guys to an average year and we might have limped into the playoffs.

The list of negatives is still there. Beltran is on his front foot and, even worse, his front knee is breaking down all the time. He’s a slider sucker with 2 strikes and the number of middle-middle strikes he’s looked at is equal to the number of out-of-the-zone pitches he’s swung at. Didi’s bat looks very questionable (he seems overmatched by nearly everyone and is hacking rather than attacking) and he’s shown some inconsistency in the field as he’s kicked a few sure-out grounders that were automatic even under an aging Jeter. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still an upgrade over last year at short, but I’ve always been less impressed with highlight reel defense than steadiness. Drew… I’d still rather see one of the kids out there, by a lot. Pitching has been better than league average and occasionally, like last night and Thursday, excellent.

3. Evan3457
      April 25th, 2015 | 8:18 am

They have been impressive for the last week or so. Tonight, they get Harvey. Let’s see what, if anything, they can do with him. Even if CC pitches another good game, he might be 0-4 after tonight.

4. redbug
      April 25th, 2015 | 10:17 am

Last night was fun. Pineda was filthy. If he’s using pine tar, he’s doing a much better jib concealing it.

The Yanks aren’t as bad as their 1st few games, and they aren’t as good as their last few (the Mets either).

CC is better than 0-3. I hope the Yanks hitters stay hot today and help CC get a win.

Didi has been awful. I’d give him another couple of weeks than if he shows no improvement, esp in the field, replace him w/ Drew.

5. Evan3457
      April 26th, 2015 | 10:55 pm

I quote the great philosopher Steinman:

Two out of three ain’t bad.

6. KPOcala
      April 27th, 2015 | 12:53 am

Three series wins in a row. Wasn’t Detroit the best and hottest team in baseball (Yanks could have swept)? Weren’t the Mets one of the best and hottest in the NL? So the Yanks are winning with mirrors? Distortions in the space-time continuum? Wind current anomalies? Yep, they are a key injury or two from oblivion, but IF they dodge That bullet……..

7. KPOcala
      April 27th, 2015 | 1:02 am

I should have also prefaced my comments above that the starters MUST go deeper into games, although Girardi wisely won’t let them go too far this early in the season. Another problem is Beltran. He looks finished, but Ortiz looked cooked early on a few years ago, and refuses to die. I would imagine that he will get until July to turn it on, or Cashman will have to promote or trade… Finally, Didi looks like someone who needs a shot of whiskey, he worries the hell out of me right now.

8. KPOcala
      April 27th, 2015 | 11:03 pm

Yankees have the second best run differential in the AL, and the third best in baseball. FIRST PLACE! Oh, funny how things work out with player moves. McCarthy is gone for the season, and part of next, Austin Jackson being a Duquette “conquest needs to be put to rest. And, in spite of my comments above regarding Didi, he made a play to the “right” of second base that I haven’t seen made since, maybe, the seventies. His swing is “rough”, but who knows?