• The Yankees Under 240 Club

Posted by on May 18th, 2015 · Comments (14)
    Pos Name Age G PA HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS+
    C Brian McCann* 31 32 131 4 21 5 22 .237 .290 .398 92
    2B Stephen Drew* 32 35 130 4 10 14 27 .177 .264 .345 70
    SS Didi Gregorius* 25 34 120 0 7 8 23 .204 .269 .241 46
    3B Chase Headley# 31 38 151 5 17 9 33 .236 .285 .386 87
    RF Carlos Beltran# 38 33 133 2 16 7 27 .234 .271 .387 83
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 5/18/2015.

Not exactly Murderer’s Row.

Comments on The Yankees Under 240 Club

1. KPOcala
      May 18th, 2015 | 12:26 pm

Hard to imagine that 3 out 5 will continue swinging a piece of rigatoni. Didi and Carlos, possible. What is really bad about this group is their OBP is to bad. Well, at least the Yankees’ defense is at least “getting” to a lot of balls. So, that would seem to mean that they are more “athletic”, no? Off-topic, is just me, or does Tex seem to react more slowly than a year or two ago? And off team, does Pedroia seem “thicker” at the waist than is wise for a second baseman?

2. LMJ229
      May 19th, 2015 | 12:25 am

I just wonder if there are any other teams Didi Gregorius and Stephen Drew would be starting for? I think you’d be hard pressed to find any.

3. KPOcala
      May 19th, 2015 | 1:02 am

Yeah, well they only had ten years to find a suitable SS for when Jeter stepped, or was pushed out. Their sense of “loyalty”, aka, marketing opts for Jeter is at the bottom of a lot of their subsequent decision making…. Jeter might be the only Yankee icon, except MO’ who retired when “he felt like it”. Jeter was a “Great Yankee”, but to call him “selfless” is simply not true. As big an ego as Arod, but smarter, and classier.

4. LMJ229
      May 19th, 2015 | 7:00 am

@ KPOcala:
      I’d agree on both counts about Tex and Pedroia. Also, have you seen our old buddy Cano’s stats lately? Not exactly what the Mariners were hoping for when they signed him to that mega deal.

5. May 19th, 2015 | 12:47 pm

Cito Culver, the SS of the future, is batting .129 in AA this spring. Yes, ONE TWENTY NINE.

Yankees passed on Aaron Sanchez, Noah Syndergaard and Taijuan Walker (among others) to take Culver in the draft, FWIW.

6. Evan3457
      May 19th, 2015 | 6:16 pm

Carlos Beltran is already heating up this month. He’s hitting 1 or 2 balls hard every game now. McCann is more effective at the Stadium Chase Headley is a 2nd half hitter just about every year of his career.

Drew I just don’t know. They’ll have to wait a little longer on Didi, I suppose.

And the Yankees’ SS of the future is most likely Jorge Mateo, now in A-Ball.

7. May 20th, 2015 | 1:03 pm

Loooong way from A-ball to the bigs.

8. KPOcala
      May 20th, 2015 | 1:48 pm

@ Steve L.:No argument on that one, Steve. And I’ll add, that I argued 6-7 years back that the Yankee’s were primed for a collapse. I place the blame squarely on the new “ownership”, just like the Miami Dolphins (I grew up there, my dad’s family NYers), once the “real owner” died, both of the teams would always find a way to not spend the money. Really, I don’t understand Hal’s “thinking”, they Should have re-tooled by now. Either Cashman really is “incompetent”, or he’s bound by the ‘little Caesar’…..

9. KPOcala
      May 21st, 2015 | 1:52 am

@ LMJ229:Hmmm, wonder if “Anyone”‘credits’ Cashman for not paying Cano? 😉

10. Evan3457
      May 23rd, 2015 | 7:40 am

KPOcala wrote:

The Royals are the hot team of the month. Maybe they are as good as they look, I don’t know. But people should realize it took them eight years (more in the case of Gordon) to build to what they are. Moore took over as their GM in June 2006. All the key offensive players were on the team by the middle of 2012. It takes a long time to rebuild, once you acknowledge the need.

The Yanks are trying to contend and rebuild at the same time. They have a lot more money to throw at it, but right now, not much, because Hal will not increase the payroll much further.

11. KPOcala
      May 23rd, 2015 | 11:51 am

@ Evan3457:Evan, all that you write is also true. Funny, I recall the pundits saying that Dayton Moore was the biggest “Idiot” in baseball. That being said, Hal wants to field a good team, keep the farmhands, AND save money. I would argue that with the money that pours in, they can damn well have afforded at least a couple of major free agents over the last few years. Of course we’d all be moaning about the poor drafts, so Hal will never win 😉

12. Evan3457
      May 23rd, 2015 | 3:44 pm

KPOcala wrote:

Well, I mean, it’s hard for people to see this, but teams that are truly lousy and small market have total freedom to rebuild. Even the Red Sox will take a down year. But the Yankees can never take a down year, and this hampers them in rebuilding. So the big money Free-agents keep them competitive, but then they age and become anchors dragging the team away from real title contention.

People never seem to remember that the Yankees had to hit rock-bottom for 2-3 years after a decade of the Free Agent treadmill of semi-competitiveness of the 80’s to set up the complete rebuild under Gene Michael. But it took 7 years from the collapse to win the 1st one, and 9 years to build the superteam of 1998.

13. KPOcala
      May 25th, 2015 | 12:45 pm

@ Evan3457:Absolutely. Of course, where were the the people who claimed the Yankees always “bought” their titles? I went 18 years between them, in SPITE of the buying. Being a fan though, you always want to see that the ownership “cares”. Luckily, Hal can’t become Jeffry Loria, the Stadium would be burned to the ground 😉

14. KPOcala
      May 25th, 2015 | 12:48 pm

PS, what the Yankees did in the nineties may not happen again for decades. Teams have to get incredibly lucky in the draft, and with injuries. And even luckier trading for the “right” players. ‘Give me that under-rated Phelps, and I’ll give you this kid, Buhner….’