• The Curse Of John Lackey?

Posted by on June 10th, 2015 · Comments (8)

Man, since winning the 2013 World Series, the Red Sox really stink.

Comments on The Curse Of John Lackey?

1. Evan3457
      June 10th, 2015 | 7:12 pm

They might turn it around yet, but I’ve often wondered what would happen to them when Ortiz finally declined.

That’s a big lineup hole to fill if he can’t get back to his previous form. But we all thought he might be done in the summer of 2009, so who knows? Maybe he’s due for another shipment of bitamins.

2. KPOcala
      June 10th, 2015 | 10:06 pm

@ Evan3457:”Maybe he’s due for another shipment of bitamins”. Naah man, that’s nothing more than “rice and beans” 😉 Yeah, and I once ran a 3.8 forty, LOL.

Funny, you could fill a least one full forty man roster with the “Genius Theo’s”, “can’t miss position players and pitchers. Just go back over the last 6-7 years, and look at all the guys who just “streaming” towards the Bigs. “Minor Leaguers will break your heart”. It ISN’T just Cashman and the Yankees. Only the Cardinals with the help of Branch Rickey’s ghost, or else it’s the “Eye of Sauron”, LOL!

3. KPOcala
      June 10th, 2015 | 10:09 pm

Funny, and I know how this “sounds”, but I started worrying about Miller 4-5 days ago. Something in his body language, facial expressions, and he wasn’t just “blowing hitters away”. Hope this is “really” only 15 days, and Not a year.

4. Evan3457
      June 10th, 2015 | 11:14 pm

KPOcala wrote:

Probably closer to a month if things go well; 3 weeks at least, I’m thinking.

5. KPOcala
      June 11th, 2015 | 1:19 am

@ Evan3457:Can’t wait to see that vaunted stable of “closers in waiting” in the minors. Are you excited as I am? Well, things might get “interesting”. I always think back to when the Yankees played the Angels in the playoffs, and met something call “K-Rod”. Of course, I guess we have one of “those” in “Betances”, no? 😉

6. Evan3457
      June 11th, 2015 | 7:20 pm

KPOcala wrote:

The loss in the closer position should be very small to the point of vanishing to zero. The loss in moving all other relievers one link up the chain could be much larger. And Joe will probably be much more careful with Betances, because right now, there’s no one behind him.

7. KPOcala
      June 12th, 2015 | 1:28 am

@ Evan3457:Evan, the “closer”role is vastly overrated, until you run out of people who get “tight” in big situations. Betances has the “stuff” to do the job, but is it “The Right Stuff”? We don’t know, yet. And you’re dead on, the loss, in effect, dilutes the “talent” in the bullpen, no question. I think in general, Girardi has done a great job with his bullpens over the years, but: I, always think about Earl Weaver’s comment that paraphrased something like this, ‘Nobody is gonna give a damn about some of those loses in April if you keep your players (I seem to remember “pitchers”, explicitly, but both apply) healthy by keeping them fresh for Sept. He has a maddening habit of going to his Book to often, and really seems to get offended if his judgement about “dry humping” his bullpen, or bringing guys in as though it was the WS, because of an opponent’s mini-rally. He can “talk” all he wants to about bringing someone in because they hadn’t been used for a few days. But even the “village idiot” can do some simple arithmetic and see how many appearances his “Trusted Two” will make. This “dead arm” may be a blessing in disguise, or else Miller kind of “preemptively” kept his workload down……

June 16th, 2015 | 4:16 pm

Remember, the Sox were pretty bad in 2012.