• Are The Mets Better Than The Yankees?

Posted by on September 18th, 2015 · Comments (13)

Some say the answer is yes.

The bigger question for me is “Will the Yankees score more than 5 runs in any of these games at CitiField?” (I don’t believe that they will do it.)

I suspect that no one will sweep this series. And, Saturday will be the swing game – meaning whomever wins on Saturday will win the series. But, that’s just my gut talking.

Comments on Are The Mets Better Than The Yankees?

1. Evan3457
      September 18th, 2015 | 10:38 pm

At this point, yes, they are.
      The Yanks really needed this first game with Tanaka.
      A sweep is now a pretty decent chance.

2. KPOcala
      September 19th, 2015 | 1:27 pm

Pinch-hitting for Tanaka with Ellsbury (Tanaka with a low pitch count) was “bad baseball”. The Yankees middle relief is toast, and Tanaka could have kept the game closer, longer. A manager who “goes by the book” keeps himself from being second guessed (well, mostly, these days), and keeps himself employed. And that lineup that they threw out there, Cashman should be flayed………

3. KPOcala
      September 19th, 2015 | 5:42 pm

Joe Giardia.JG.@GeneMauch.com Andrew Miller in the ninth? Seriously???

4. Evan3457
      September 19th, 2015 | 7:37 pm

KPOcala wrote:

Joe Giardia.JG.@GeneMauch.com Andrew Miller in the ninth? Seriously???

Yeah, seriously.
      Mets have been feasting on comebacks off of bad relief pitching. Joe wanted to make sure to lock at least one game down, and he did it. With CC pitching tomorrow against a linuep of 7 or 8 RH Mets hitters, I don’t blame him at all for this one. It’s better than 50/50 they don’t need Miller or Betances tomorrow night.

5. KPOcala
      September 20th, 2015 | 3:24 am

@ Evan3457:Evan, I have to respectfully disagree. Let’s say that not bringing Miller in results in a three-run dinger. They can still bring in Miller, two runs up, and clean bases.

Interestingly, I’ve been saying that CC should be in the BP since May. The last two starts, especially the last one has me wondering. His last start looked like his balance and release point were vintage CC (yeah, I’m a scout along w/ the other 100,000 😉 ). If he repeats last weeks ‘motion’, the Mets may look bad, and the Yankees will be really thin in the BP. Wilson is out, Betances (how long before he pulls a Budweiser wagon?), and Miller, well he could have used the rest. But, I have to blame Cashman/Hal for this overall situation. Another good reliever, and a decent bat would have wiped their farm system out? There were guys out there who could have been “had”, who would have reasonable, and shored an old club up. Instead, they have a lot of 4AAA players on the bench, or else guys who need another year or two. And at this point, sitting the ever -brittle Ellsbury for Heathcott and maybe catch lightning in a bottle. He sure as hell couldn’t hit any worse, and has always had the glove. They need to (desperately) think outside the box at this point……….

6. Evan3457
      September 20th, 2015 | 1:59 pm

KPOcala wrote:

The Padres turned down Mateo and another prospect and major salary relief (including picking up Gyorko’s terrible contract) for Kimbrel.

Beane wanted Warren and Refsnyder or Mitchell and Refsnyder for the Zobrist rental.

Maybe Mitchell and Refsnyder would’ve been worth the rental, if the Yanks really have no intentions of giving Refsnyder a chance next season.

7. KPOcala
      September 20th, 2015 | 2:58 pm

@ Evan3457:Interesting, I hadn’t heard anything along those lines. I’d have pulled the trigger on that deal……

8. September 20th, 2015 | 11:34 pm

Two out of three ain’t bad!

9. Evan3457
      September 21st, 2015 | 12:03 am

Steve L. wrote:

Two out of three ain’t bad!

It’s very good, and exactly the opposite of what I expected. I expected the Yanks to take the first game, and drop the last two.

Just as the double-header loss on last Saturday just about took away any chance of them winning the AL East, this series wins takes away nearly all practical chance they have of not winning at least a Wild Card.

For example. Win 1 game in Toronto, Split with both the White Sox and the Red Sox, win 1 in Baltimore, and that gives them 88 wins. The Twins or Angels would have to go 12-1 just to tie them, and 13-0 to take the Wild Card away from them. The Indians would have to sweep 13 straight just to tie. The Astros would have to go 9-3 just to tie for the 1st Wild Card slot, 10-2 to pass them.

Two of those four things would have to happen to keep the Yanks out of the post-season, if they just go 6-8 the rest of the way.

10. KPOcala
      September 21st, 2015 | 12:25 am

Good Lord! I hope it’s just a case of ‘roid depletion v. “something bad”. Oh, right, no “proof” that Piazza did anything wrong…. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mike-piazza-throw-pitch-mets-yankees-finale-article-1.2367541

11. KPOcala
      September 21st, 2015 | 12:40 am

PS, watching baseball (or anything) on ESPN is so aggravating that I need to get a mouth piece. I mean, “injury analyst”? I could go on about her, but the rest of the crew, just horrible. And the Matt Harvey “Situation” warrants a Congression hearing, like the Warren Committee……………… to sum-up their endless streams of conversation…….

12. JeremyM
      September 21st, 2015 | 12:47 am

You know, you NEVER hear NFL or NBA announcers complain about the product–or if they do, they make little remarks and keep it moving. But in baseball, all I’ve heard this month is announcers constantly whining about the time of games and expanded September rosters. Yes, they have a bit of a point, but whining about it for long stretches of time only makes watching the games more painful.

13. Evan3457
      September 21st, 2015 | 1:38 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Couldn’t agree more, and I happen to like expanded rosters.