• Yog

Posted by on September 23rd, 2015 · Comments (8)

He had a great run. Ninety years ain’t chump change. And, they were quality years.

When he retired as a player, he was easily in the Top 50 of greatest (Post-1900) baseball position players of all-time. And, today, he’s still in the Top 125.

Baseball lost a great one with his passing.

Comments on Yog

1. September 23rd, 2015 | 9:00 am

Does this now make Derek Jeter the greatest living Yankee?

September 23rd, 2015 | 12:14 pm

I guess it depends on how you view Whitey Ford or Mariano Rivera.

From an idol or icon view, I’d say Jeter surpassed Berra a while ago. Not to take away from his accomplishments, but Berra was often viewed as a punchline, a guy who said funny things.

3. Evan3457
      September 23rd, 2015 | 12:24 pm

By all accounts, a fine man and a magnificent life. Well done, Lawrence. Rest in Peace.

4. #15
      September 23rd, 2015 | 12:27 pm

@ Raf:

Check out his HR to SO ratio. It’s unbelievable. I’m not going to knock Jete, but Yogi didn’t have YES, ESPN, FOX Sports, etc… when he played. His playing fame largely came from, eye witnesses, word of mouth, radio and newspaper accounts.

5. Evan3457
      September 23rd, 2015 | 3:05 pm

Only Piazza surpasses him as a hitting catcher for a sustained run of greatness.
      And Piazza’s record is suspect.

6. KPOcala
      September 24th, 2015 | 11:34 pm

@ Raf:
      Raf, I know you didn’t mean any “disrespect”. But, God, Yogi has been retired so long that teenagers at the time are now retirees. I’ll also go so far as to say that Steve’s ’75 point’ drop is likely to be on the high side, especially considering the PED usage. Of course, Steve saw a lot of Yogi’s Prime, at old Yankee Stadium, so maybe I should defer…. ;)

7. LMJ229
      September 26th, 2015 | 10:34 am

Steve L. wrote:

Does this now make Derek Jeter the greatest living Yankee?

Whitey Ford gets my vote. Plus, he’s got the best nickname ever in my opinion.

8. Evan3457
      September 26th, 2015 | 2:24 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Steve L. wrote:
      Does this now make Derek Jeter the greatest living Yankee?
      Whitey Ford gets my vote. Plus, he’s got the best nickname ever in my opinion.

In terms of “greatness”, Jeter is probably greater. Based solely on bWAR, Jeter’s way out in front.
      But Whitey is now the last great Yankee of his generation.