• Feels Like 1986

Posted by on October 19th, 2015 · Comments (7)

Oh, the Mets caps and jerseys are coming out of the closets.

Why is it when the Yankees win, this town yawns; but, when the Mets win, it’s like man landed on the moon for the first time?

Personally, this puts me in a bad spot.

Last time the Yankees won a ring was 2009. At the time, my daughter was 7 and my son was 5 years old. Needless to say, neither of them really remember it.

Today, my daughter is 13 and my son is 11.

The girl? She really doesn’t care. Baseball is boring, according to her. And, while I took her to countless games between the age of one and eleven, back in 2013 she told me “I really don’t want to go to any more baseball games.”

My son, on the other hand, is a baseball guy. He works out for baseball, inside, from January through March. And, he’s on a baseball field 5 or 6 days a week between April and June. He also plays baseball in the fall. Basically, the only months he’s not doing much baseball related is November and December. Further, on the rare days where he’s not practicing or playing baseball, we go watch baseball games.

He’s been raised a Yankees fan. And, he’s really feeling it now. They have practically painted his school blue and orange this month. Worse, they actually play the Mets theme song over the school P.A. every morning. (Like I said, MAN ON THE MOON!)

The thing that really worries me is that these are different times – thanks to cable TV, the internet, and all the full-blown media coverage baseball gets today.

When I was a kid, it was just the local teams. I watched and/or listened to every Yankees game and I lived and died with each win and loss. For him, it’s different. He’s more of a global connoisseur of the game. If you asked him to name his five favorite players in the game today, I would bet that at least four, and maybe five, of them would not be Yankees.

If the Yankees continue to be O.K. but not great (or worse!) and the Mets continue to light the town on fire, how long will it be before he pulls a Harriet Bird and switches his gaze from the Whammer to Roy Hobbs? After all, he is just eleven. (For the record, I didn’t start following the Yankees closely until 1973…when I was 11!)

Remind me again, how long until Cashman’s contract is up?

Comments on Feels Like 1986

1. Evan3457
      October 19th, 2015 | 3:29 pm

This has been coming on ever since the Mets pulls the Dickey and Beltran trades to add Wheeler, Syndegaard and D’Arnaud to their talent pool.

Personally, I’m rooting for the Royals. But if the Mets win it all, I’m OK with that. It would be a fine triple-troll.

First troll is against the Yankees, because this shows them the kind of team you can build if you’re willing to tear it all down and rebuild (as do the Royals, the Astros and the Cubs). I’m not saying you have to do it this way, but it does make long-term contention easier.

Second troll is against the Dodgers, because they’re the biggest spending team in MLB now, and have little to show for it, yet.

Third troll is against the Mets fans themselves, even though they’ll never realize it. They’ve spent years attacking the Wilpons and Alderson and his subordinates, but they’re proving now that they were right, and the fans were dead wrong.

2. Evan3457
      October 19th, 2015 | 3:52 pm

As for the other part….Mets fans act like it’s a moon landing because the Mets have so rarely had a real contending team; only about 16 out of their 54 seasons of existence have the Mets been a realistic title contender. They’ve had 13 seasons of 90 or more losses not counting their first six horrible seasons, and they’ve lost between 85 and 89 in five other years. That’s almost half of their 54 year existence where the Mets have been at least a bad team, and many of those seasons, they’ve been awful. Their AVERAGE record through their history is 76-86.

On the other hand, the Yanks have been institutionally great for a long time, great over multiple generations. The Yanks have been at least a good team in 74 of the last 96 seasons (.540 or better), and over .500 in half of the other 22 seasons. Yankees fans expect the team to be very good. Mets fans expect their team to be mediocre to bad. The Yanks average record since 1920 is 94-68 in a 162-game schedule; 90-64 in a 154-games schedule.

Also, the Mets have never been one and done in their rare playoff appearances. They won all 3 of their pre-Wild Card NLCS appearances; since the Wild Card, they’ve never lost a first-round series.

So the Mets rarely get there, have advanced to at least the NLCS when they’ve gotten there, which means they can start dreaming of winning it all. Therefore, their fans go crazy every time, and they usually have a decent period of time to go crazy in.

I know I would if I were them. Enjoy it Mets fans; if your young pitchers stay healthy, and the Wilpons don’t get cheap with them, you’ll be a real title contender until about 2020, I think.

And that’s why the town goes royal blue and orange when it happens.

October 20th, 2015 | 8:54 am

It helps that the Mets have traditionally been a fan friendly organization, much more than the Yankees have been.

4. Evan3457
      October 20th, 2015 | 11:17 pm

Raf wrote:

That, too.
      There’s also a “class” element in this. The Yanks have traditionally been the team of the city’s “elite”, and the Mets are seen as the successor to the Dodgers as the “People’s Cherce”.

5. KPOcala
      October 20th, 2015 | 11:30 pm

Where are the pundits who predicted a probable Mets-Royals WS, even two months ago? Or two weeks ago? Who would have believed that the Dodgers and Cardinals would have gone down so quickly? Funny, but the games still have to be played, even though the computer sims sell a different outcome, no?

6. Evan3457
      October 21st, 2015 | 1:42 pm

KPOcala wrote:

Both the Royals and the Mets were rated as underdogs in their respective Championship Series, just a week ago.

7. October 26th, 2015 | 1:55 pm

It’s a novelty, that’s why. The Mets have only won as many World Series titles as we’ve had manned moon landings. 😉

I think you could make the exact same comparison with the Jets vs. the Giants.