• Can’t Do It

Posted by on October 22nd, 2015 · Comments (10)

“If your team is out of it, and you’re a New Yorker (or, I suppose a Tri-State Area-e-r?) then you should get behind the Mets and root them on!”

You hear this, or something like it, a lot these days.

Pull-ease.

If I had a dime every time (over the last 15 years or so) someone in “our area” told me they were a Red Sox fan, and, after I said “WTF?” they clarified it by saying “Well, my team is the Mets. But, in the American league, I root for the Red Sox” then I would have a whole lotta dimes, for sure.

The majority of Mets fans don’t “get behind” the Yankees. At least not the ones that I always run into and know.

So, don’t ask me to root for the Mets.

If the Mets win a ring this year, they’ve earned it and deserve it. But, it will be without my “getting behind” them. I’m a Yankees fan and I just can’t do it.

Comments on Can’t Do It

1. YoureNotAMetsFan
      October 22nd, 2015 | 9:14 am

Oh all these years I just assumed you were a Mets fan. Guess I missed the point of your blog.

2. redbug
      October 22nd, 2015 | 6:47 pm

I’m comfortable congratulating my friends who have been long-time Mets fans. I heard a caller to WFAN say he was 41 or 42 and the last time the Mets won a WS was when he was 14. His point was enjoy this now. Don’t worry about who they’ll sign next yr, etc. I can appreciate their fans enjoyment.

Am I rooting for the Mets? Somewhat. I like David Wright. I don’t like Murphy. (He doesn’t like gays lifestyle??) I’d like long-time fans friends of mine to be happy. I have no friends who are Jays or Royals fans.

3. Evan3457
      October 22nd, 2015 | 11:55 pm

Steve wrote:

I agree with the 1st sentence. As for the 2nd, I’m not getting behind them, but if they win it all, that’s OK with me.

October 23rd, 2015 | 11:56 am

@ Evan3457:

I have the same sentiment.

5. #15
      October 23rd, 2015 | 3:43 pm

Bravo Steve. Bravo.

6. October 23rd, 2015 | 9:07 pm

Steve, I read you, but this Met thing is the best thing that could happen for real Yankee fans. The primary reason the Yankees have been getting over the past few years has been the fact that the Mets haven’t been north of 80 wins since 2008. The core fan base of both teams is about the same, what was different was the fact that the fair weather fans were following the Yanks because they still offered hope and a link back to championship baseball. Now those folks are gone. Next June, on a warm Friday evening, when the stadium is half empty, the TV ratings in the toilet, maybe,just maybe Hal will put the polo mallet down and decide he doesn’t want his picture hanging next to Dan Topping Jr. in Yankee history. And then maybe he will look around and see that pitiful excuse for a general manager, strap a pair on, roll up his sleeves, fire that idiot and get busy.

We all know the Mets will be flat on their back in a few years, but they can help us in our hour of need by reminding Hal it is his legacy that is on the line.

7. October 24th, 2015 | 9:22 am

We saw the Stadium less full this year. But, I don’t think they care if the wings of the Stadium are empty. As long as they sell all the seats in the moat, they will be fine. That’s a ton of money there. They probably make as much on the moats seats alone as they do all the other seats.

8. Evan3457
      October 24th, 2015 | 11:34 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I checked a few games at random in the 2nd half of the season. About 91-93% of the Legends seats were sold for all of them. There was slightly less than 100 (out of slightly more than 1000 available) unsold as of gametime on the 3 games I checked.

9. October 26th, 2015 | 12:04 am

Steve L. wrote:

If the Mets front office doesn’t do anything too stupid (knowing the Mets this is no given), I can see the team taking off in a way the 1996 Yanks got the modern Yankee era rolling. I remember times when the Mets owned this town, it can happen again. I can see the Yankees down to an attendance figure of 2.5 million within three years. You know what, I’m not sure the family really cares. You can bet your bottom dollar they want out, and the Yankees as an asset are the gold standard, nothing will change about that in the foreseeable future. I think this has to be about pride to the family and especially Hal, does he want to go out just being known as the son, or does he want to out on top, I don’t know, I’m just hoping maybe this will be a bucket of ice water in the face. It’s shock therapy, it’s our only hope.

10. October 26th, 2015 | 1:51 pm

Agree with you, word for word.

Leave me alone, I don’t have to root for anyone just because they play in the same town as my team. I bet you could fill a taxi cab with the number of Mets fans who root for the Yankees when they play for a championship…

Besides, the Royals haven’t won since 1985 *and* only have one title to their names. By default, I root for the biggest underdog.

Go Royals. 🙂