• Cash Babbles, Takes No Responsibility For Yanks Start

Posted by on May 3rd, 2016 · Comments (10)

Via the Post:

“We urgently need to stop the bleeding now,” [Yankees GM Brian] Cashman said Monday in a telephone interview. “We’ve been saying that. We’re working towards that.”

“We’ll continue to do the work necessary to put ourselves in position to succeed, and eventually that worm will turn. In the event things don’t turn, I’m going to have to make it turn and be forced to do things that weren’t part of the game plan, whatever that would be,” Cashman said. “The best answer would come from this mix of players.”

This mix of players has largely been terrible, as Cashman acknowledged.

“It was a horrific month of April,” he said. “In almost every category, we underperformed individually and collectively. Most of the players have not reached their expectations. That’s why our record is one of the worst in the game.”

The players are failing. Yet, Cashman takes no ownership on being the one who chose these players. The game plan has failed. Yet, Cashman doesn’t take ownership for being the craftsman of that game plan. All Cashman does is point fingers and make excuses. The Teflon GM strikes again.

Comments on Cash Babbles, Takes No Responsibility For Yanks Start

1. KPOcala
      May 3rd, 2016 | 3:38 pm

Steve, you Are right, this is Cashman’s/Hal’s fault entirely. But when was the last time you’ve heard a GM take “responsibility” for his team’s poor play? Hell, how many people in the workplace do it? Ultimately though, this really is about the failings (cheapness, and lack of baseball acumen) of Hal, Hank, Trost, and Levine. Obviously the bulk of the poor decisions fall squarely on Hal/Hank’s shoulders. I’m not exonerating Cashman so much as giving a more balanced view.

2. May 3rd, 2016 | 3:45 pm

I can’t blame the budget. Tons of GMs have built winning programs with payrolls MUCH lower than Cashman had to play with…

May 3rd, 2016 | 4:52 pm

A 6 game deficit in May is not insurmountable. Note that the Yankees are two games back of the defending AL East champs.

4. May 3rd, 2016 | 6:26 pm

Brian Cashman should have been fired years ago; but at this point, He is merely a symptom, the disease is benign neglect. The continued ownership of the franchise by the Steinbrenner family, with Hal in charge, is nothing short of a curse. The turning worm quote should be carved on a tombstone and placed in Monument Park.

5. LMJ229
      May 3rd, 2016 | 11:16 pm

What really made me laugh was his comment about playing Hicks more. Yup, that’s what we need – more of the .077 hitter!

6. KPOcala
      May 4th, 2016 | 12:02 am

@ Steve L.:Steve, that’s true except that you know perfectly well that ownership’s mandate has been to buy marquee players (except when they get burned they really over-react). I think you’d have to agree that Yankee fans aren’t going to pay and see a bunch of “promising youngsters”. Let’s face it, Hank/Hal interfering with Cashman over ARod and even Jeter has really punished the franchise. I don’t recall anyone on this site whining about “the price we’ll pay at the end of Teixeira’s contract”, many fans on this and other blogs were all for Headley (and to be fair, third baseman are hard to come by), McCann’s signing was met with joy. Let’s face it, the Yankees of the “Core Five” years was a once in a generation thing, luck and good health smiled on them. Now, age, chance, injuries, and slumps have created a real crappy storm. I’ll say that Cashman certainly is partially responsible, but the Steins own and run the business at their leisure. And I’m afraid that Hal has a huge hunk of Cal Pollard in him. Shaking off the shadow of “The Old Man”, perhaps?

7. KPOcala
      May 4th, 2016 | 2:18 pm
    8. Evan3457
      May 4th, 2016 | 4:28 pm

KPOcala wrote:

I did warn that on the Tex contract, and the Giambi contract before that. And the Ellsbury contract, and all other contracts where they signed guys who were 28-30 to very long term deals.

9. KPOcala
      May 5th, 2016 | 1:43 am

@ Evan3457:Evan, I hear you. But the commodity in baseball is “Proven Talent”. Like gasoline, you can predict it’s rise, but ultimately you either pony-up, or walk. And in the case of a team like the Yankees, you pick at the bottom of the draft year after year, and the lack of talent “likely” to become “something Great” becomes a positive feedback loop, downward. Below, are some of the lyrics to song almost everyone knows. I call situations like the Yankees have found themselves in as, “The George Thorogood Paradox”. I think it sums up their situation: 😉

“I come home one Friday,
      Had to tell the landlady I done lost my job
      She said that don’t confront me,
      Long as I get my money next Friday
      Now next Friday come I didn’t get the rent,
      And out the door I went

So I goes to the landlady,
      I said, “You let me slide?”
      I’ll have the rent for you tomorrow
      Or the next day I don’t know
      So said let me slide it on you know people,
      I notice when I come home in the evening
      She ain’t got nothing nice to say to me,
      But for five year she was so nice
      Lord she was lovey-dovey,
      I come home one particular evening
      The landlady said, “You got the rent money yet?”,
      I said, “No, can’t find no job,
      Therefore I ain’t got no money to pay the rent”
      She said “I don’t believe you’re tryin’ to find no job”
      Said “I seen you today you was standin’ on a corner,
      Leaning up against a post”
      I said “But I’m tired, I’ve been walkin’ all day”
      She said “That don’t confront me,”

10. KPOcala
      May 6th, 2016 | 1:42 pm

Well, here is some evidence that Cashman isn’t an idiot……..