• Players With 9+ HR In Their 1st 21 Career Games

Posted by on August 25th, 2016 · Comments (15)
    Rk Gcar Player #Matching PA AB HR ▾
    1 Trevor Story 8 Ind. Games 39 36 10
    2 George Scott 8 Ind. Games 35 32 10
    3 Alvin Davis 9 Ind. Games 41 34 9
    4 Gary Sanchez 7 Ind. Games 30 27 9
    5 Mandy Brooks 7 Ind. Games 30 28 9
    6 Dusty Rhodes 8 Ind. Games 32 29 8
    7 Carlos Delgado 7 Ind. Games 33 27 8
    8 Orlando Cepeda 7 Ind. Games 32 29 8
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Play Index Tool Used
    Generated 8/25/2016.

You all remember Mandy Brooks, I am sure.

Comments on Players With 9+ HR In Their 1st 21 Career Games

1. Evan3457
      August 26th, 2016 | 8:20 am

Most of the others players on the list are a bit more hopeful comparisons for Sanchez than Mandy, who not only generated a brief career, but also a sickeningly-sweet Barry Manilow song.

2. August 26th, 2016 | 10:08 am

People should note that there’s only one HOF player on this list and he needed the Veteran’s Committee to get in. We all need to level set our expectations on Sanchez…for his sake and ours.

If he ends up hitting like Jorge Posada in his career, THAT would be AWESOME. People expecting Mickey Mantle type numbers are getting ahead of themselves and being unfair to the kid.

3. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 26th, 2016 | 10:29 pm

@ Steve L.:
      Steve L. wrote:

I see George Scott is on that list. I remember him. As Kid they called him Big George. He had the most unusual batting stance where he held the bat way above his head. Never understood how he made contact but boy he hit some moon shots when in played in the old stadium. Thanks for the memories.

Got to agree with you on this Steve. Anything near what Jorge stats would be just what this teams needs. 10 plus years of solid D and some clutch hitting, how can any fan not accept this? I only wish this kid was a lefty with his power. Boy,then we can talk about 20+ hrs each year. If Sanchez stays healthy and catches about 130 games a year with some part time DH, 18 hrs with 75 rbis and a 275 avg. is very reachable over the next 10 years. Lets hope Yankee land has patience and gives him plenty of protection in the line up. Give him every chance to succeed. Confidence is big part of this game. It would be unfair for fans and the front office to expect MM stats.

4. Evan3457
      August 26th, 2016 | 10:59 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I said basically the same thing on another website. If he hits like Posada, and receives and plays defense as he has so far, he’ll be an All-Star multiple times, and an MVP candidate in years when the Yanks contend.

5. LMJ229
      August 27th, 2016 | 9:23 am

Also, the pitchers seem to like throwing to him. Our pitching has improved with him behind the plate. I’m thinking the young guys feel more comfortable throwing to him.
      It will be interesting to see what Cashman does with McCann over the offseason. I think McCann has an innings caught clause in his contract, which he will not reach if Sanchez is our starter, so he might be willing to waive his (limited I think) no trade clause to go elsewhere. That should make him easier to move and the greater competition for his services should net us better prospects.
      I could live with keeping McCann. He still would be useful at DH, 1B, and back-up catcher.
      I want Gardner gone. Would love to see him replaced by Refsnyder.

6. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 27th, 2016 | 5:10 pm

I am sure we all at one time sipped from the Cashman kool aid and bought into the hype of NYY minor league prospects but could Baseball america be this wrong? Sanchez wasn’t even a top 50 prospect at the beginning of the year but yet here he is showing everyone including me that until you play your never know. I am simply lost for words on his blazing start. I wonder what the scooter would say if he was alive watching this kid play?. “Holy Cow he did it again, another HR”! Well, another first for a NYY BB player. Fastest to reach 11 HRs in fewest games ever played.

7. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 27th, 2016 | 5:17 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

I want Gardner gone. Would love to see him replaced by Refsnyder.

I know I am in the minority on this and most NYY fans will jump on me for saying this but keep McCan. Reason, experience is teacher worth its weight in gold. No one on the bench to help this kid become a better signal caller.
      On Gardner, personally I was never a fan. Maybe its because with his speed I felt he should use it and keep the defense on its heels by bunting more or hitting ground balls. Lets face it, he only has warning track power. I would like to see more Ref. But I fear that is not likely and I am nervous one day he will come back and bite the hand that DIDNT FEED HIM real hard!! good post again!

8. KPOcala
      August 27th, 2016 | 7:39 pm

@ FakeGeneMichaels:They also called him “Boomer” Scott. MM may be a crazy comparison, but he “could” have a Johnny Bench career, if they don’t wear him out too early. If he keeps hitting “like Bench”, I would get him into another position by age 28 so that he’d have a long career. This idea of getting the most WAR out of catchers at the cost of having shorter careers is insane. But we are all, assuredly getting waaaaaaaaaay ahead of ourselves…..

9. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 27th, 2016 | 8:34 pm

KPOcala wrote:

But we are all, assuredly getting waaaaaaaaaay ahead of ourselves…..

I got to see Sanchez play with the riverdogs a few years back and the Hype in Yankee land was around Romie. A can’t miss catcher with all the tools and blood line with dad and brother both playing in the big leagues. And its a shame he never developed like the hype. I get nervous that this early success with Sanchez as we all know will be hard to maintain and worse what it might do to his confidence if he flounders a bit. As a Yankee fan, I will simply accept a slightly better than average catcher but if he comes near a Bench or Piazza hitter, well tickle me pink and the scout who found him desires a big raise!KPOcala wrote:

They also called him “Boomer”

.. YUP, I remember that. What a good player he was in his time. He had one of the most unique batting stances I remember. More pigeon toe than a conventional stance used today. I never could figure out how he make contact and hit with such power but boy was he a Yankee killer back then.

10. LMJ229
      August 27th, 2016 | 11:16 pm

FakeGeneMichaels wrote:

I actually would like to see us keep him as well. Besides the experience factor, his left handed bat plays well in Yankee Stadium, and we will need a left handed power threat to offset Judge and Sanchez. Also, he is insurance at 1B should both Bird and/or Austin fail next year.

11. Evan3457
      August 27th, 2016 | 11:34 pm

LMJ229 wrote:
      Also, he is insurance at 1B should both Bird and/or Austin fail next year.

If he’s willing to play there, yes, he is.

12. JeremyM
      August 28th, 2016 | 9:06 am

I heard a rumor that Greg Bird was healing faster than expected and could be back at some point in September, but haven’t been able to substantiate it anywhere. Anyone else heard that?

13. Evan3457
      August 28th, 2016 | 4:18 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Nope. Might play in the Arizona Fall League.

14. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 28th, 2016 | 6:41 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

his left handed bat plays well in Yankee Stadium

Total agree 100% on this. I like to be fair and look at each NYY player with both eyes open. I personally like McCann and I think he is one of the good guys in all of BB, but I cant help think his struggles are due to lack of protection he has in this line up. Simply, why pitch to a lefty power hitter when you don’t have to? If you spend the $ to get him you better have a line up that supports what he can do or put in him a position to be successful. Just my opinion on that.Evan3457 wrote:

I heard that he is ahead of his schedule but NYY are asking him to play in the AFL.

15. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 28th, 2016 | 8:24 pm

FakeGeneMichaels wrote:

his left handed bat plays well in Yankee Stadium

With a stadium built for lefty hitters, one would only assume a GM would build his team with lefty or switch hitters to exploit it. But as I say, if you live by the HR you die by it. Sometimes, nickel and dime hitters are just as effective.